Binge Eating Disorder

Options
Hey everyone,

During 2014 I was really successful on MFP, lost 75lbs (from 264lbs in April) no problem as I had absolutely cut out all sweet things (cake/chocolate bars/fizzy drinks etc) and had no cravings for them.

Since christmas, when everyone brought in chocolate virtually every day, I've been struggling with my binge eating habits resurfacing, doing some really shameful things such as eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that.

I'm slowly getting a grip on myself again by cutting everything out but was wondering what others going through it had done to handle BED? I've made healthy snacks available to myself to eat when I do get urges but I still get that little voice that says "go get a cheesecake, you've earned it".

Thanks all.

Replies

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi. There are some groups on here if you search for them to support you in recovery. However this is just a forum and you need some medical support so please see a doctor :)
  • robyngrant739
    robyngrant739 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your recovery. I too would recommend seeking professional help. It might be hard not to get frustrated with yourself, but I think you will be a lot happier when you can come to peace with yourself.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I had to get professional help to get over my BED. It's like a monster that will never go away but I'm learning how to deal with it. First thing my Dr. told me was to stop using food as a reward.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @adamitri‌ So how did the professional help work if you don't mind me asking? Was it just discussing or did they give you proper mental exercises to do?
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There is a private overeaters anonymous group on mfp. You should check it out. Definitely dont ever hesitate to message me if you would like to talk about this. As you know BED consumed my life for over half my life and ive been in recovery for just over a year.
  • adamitri
    Options
    It was more finding out why I was bingeing. The underlying cause of it. Noticing when I'm going on a binge and how to pull back. I used to think I was like a robot, tuning out during the binge until it was over. But now that I'm picking up the signs I defer to something else and step away from the food. So more like diversion tricks and noticing the signs.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    @adamitri‌ See mine is that I start to feel that I can phase chocolate back in to my diet and then I lose control so easily and start shovelling it in like I used to. Took a good couple of weeks of promising myself I'd stop before I finally did, thanks to a cheesecake I had very late at night that made me feel incredibly ill and made me stop.

@amanda091990‌ I'll have a look, and thank you :)
  • adamitri
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    @adamitri‌ See mine is that I start to feel that I can phase chocolate back in to my diet and then I lose control so easily and start shovelling it in like I used to. Took a good couple of weeks of promising myself I'd stop before I finally did, thanks to a cheesecake I had very late at night that made me feel incredibly ill and made me stop.

@amanda091990‌ I'll have a look, and thank you :)

I was like that for a long time. I used to eat about 20 - 30 clementines in a sitting. For me it didn't matter what the food was as long as it was going in me. There were days where I would bring a blanket with me and sit on the floor beside my fridge and just eat straight form there. Days where I would take stock from it and hoard it in my room so no one would notice the extent of my eating. That ill feeling was what made me stop too. Sometimes I would eat until I was so ill there was nothing left for me but to throw up. It's hard thing to solve really. Everyday is a fight not to binge, not to binge. And not to hate myself if I do.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    @adamitri Reading your posts and that describes me completely. Wow. Did you feel like the professional really helped you? I may have to go and see one. Thank you for your posts on here.
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned this, but for me, it was all about discovering what was causing the bingeing. I could eat nonstop, truly. I never felt full, I compared myself to a bottomless pit, and I was severely depressed, to the point of wanting to give up on life. I got professional help, and he really helped me out. He had me keep a very detailed journal about everything -- what I ate, when I ate it, where I was, how my day had gone, just every single boring detail. I hated it, I'm not going to lie. But it really helped me start to see patterns and what was causing me to feel like food was a drug that I needed, and then we dug deeper to work on those issues that were the root cause of it. That was several years ago, and I still struggle sometimes, but I'm much more in control.

Also, there's a GREAT Facebook group I highly recommend. It's completely private, so none of your friends will be able to see that you post there or even that you're a member of it. It's called "Binge Eating Disorder" and I think it's at around 3000+ members right now. I can't recommend that group enough, they're so helpful and awesome.
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

During 2014 I was really successful on MFP, lost 75lbs (from 264lbs in April) no problem as I had absolutely cut out all sweet things (cake/chocolate bars/fizzy drinks etc) and had no cravings for them.

Since christmas, when everyone brought in chocolate virtually every day, I've been struggling with my binge eating habits resurfacing, doing some really shameful things such as eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that.

I'm slowly getting a grip on myself again by cutting everything out but was wondering what others going through it had done to handle BED? I've made healthy snacks available to myself to eat when I do get urges but I still get that little voice that says "go get a cheesecake, you've earned it".

Thanks all.

Start reading about how your body works!
    Get educated about kidneys, liver, pancreas..
    Learn everything you can! Food is used by these organs and more! Know about you! This is you!
    This is us!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    be a good idea to get pro help.
  • adamitri
    Options
    @adamitri Reading your posts and that describes me completely. Wow. Did you feel like the professional really helped you? I may have to go and see one. Thank you for your posts on here.

Professional help is helping lol. Like others have said getting to know why you're bingeing is the first part. I was and sometimes still am severely depressed. It's a vicious cycle but I'm glad I talked to someone. Someone who doesn't judge me and seems to understand what's going on.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Also, there's a GREAT Facebook group I highly recommend. It's completely private, so none of your friends will be able to see that you post there or even that you're a member of it. It's called "Binge Eating Disorder" and I think it's at around 3000+ members right now. I can't recommend that group enough, they're so helpful and awesome.

Thanks, I'll look into it :)
  • lewispwest
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    be a good idea to get pro help.

I'm 12 days "sober" as it were, but the way I was talking to @cmfougere‌ about it earlier she was saying it's like an alcoholic with whiskey. I might never be able to have certain things again as it is a trigger, I have to learn to accept that, as miserable as that may be.
  • Hi, Lewispwest. Only responding to your OP.

I am a self-diagnosed emotional eater. I have made great progress with my awareness of my attitudes towards food and eating by 1) Listening, relating to and practicing many of the concepts from the audiobook "Intuitive Eating" by Tribole and Resch and 2) Coming to the understanding that emotional overeating was a coping mechanism for me from childhood that I carried over into adulthood and what was once useful is now harmful. I see a cognitive therapist for my childhood issues. We don't focus specifically on the eating, as that is working itself out as I realize it is a symptom of my main issue.

I really cannot recommend the audiobook more highly. I think they also have a workbook but I cannot speak for that.

http://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Practical-Yourself-Chronic/dp/1591796822/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1424795643&sr=8-5&keywords=intuitive+eating

I first listened to it 3.5 years ago and it's been a go to resource when I feel like continuing to build on progress I made.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks all.

For me, if I keep my fats up, don't work out too much, and get enough sleep, that really seems to help. I also have to make sure I am eating enough calories for my activity level. I tend to eat around 2000-2500 calories a day, with 35-40% fat.
  • tysbobo
    tysbobo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with chocolate. I would start out with one serving and end up eating an entire box of Hershey s, chocolate covered nuts or fruit, etc. I would wake up the next morning, tell myself I lost control and will be on track today only to fall off the Wagon an hour later. What has helped me is paying attention to how my clothes feel and refusing to buy bigger sizes thus forcing me lose. I am I'm this journey with you. Remember, we can learn from the past but it is just that - the past. Time to start now with the future. Best of luck!!!
  • SamanthaJubilee
    Options
    Someone else mentioned this, but for me, it was all about discovering what was causing the bingeing. I could eat nonstop, truly. I never felt full, I compared myself to a bottomless pit, and I was severely depressed, to the point of wanting to give up on life. I got professional help, and he really helped me out. He had me keep a very detailed journal about everything -- what I ate, when I ate it, where I was, how my day had gone, just every single boring detail. I hated it, I'm not going to lie. But it really helped me start to see patterns and what was causing me to feel like food was a drug that I needed, and then we dug deeper to work on those issues that were the root cause of it. That was several years ago, and I still struggle sometimes, but I'm much more in control.

Thank you. I will check out that group.
    I binge/stress eat when I start to get compliments on my efforts.
    Being sexually abused and and such I have identified being "skinny" as a negative but I hate having so much fat. Therapy hasn't helped but I think that is because I haven't found someone who understands what I'm goings through.