What physically stops you from lifting heavier?

Options

Replies

• mccoybrah
    Options
    Nothing, Squatting 400 for last set. Myron OP? Yea you mirin.

Do strong lift programme if wanna increase lifts
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You cannot grow additional myocytes (muscle cells), the cells can only hypertrophy (get bigger). Cells can only get so large before they have too much internal size to function well/maintain membrane integrity, so your muscles can only get so strong before a limit is reached.

There's a difference between sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which focuses more on increased muscle glycogen storage (size) and myofibrillar hypertrophy, which focuses more on the size of the fibers (strength).

The factors that limit our strength are:
    -Neural drive (CNS)
    -Secondary contractile messenger system
    -Optimal actin and myosin contractile protein saturation

Generally if you reach a strength plateau you can continue to increase the size of the supporting muscles to increase strength. You can also increase the size of the muscles, which can allow for greater strength development.
    When you hit a wall on a lift, the problem is one of the following (this is true 100% of the time):

Physical
    Technical
    Mental - Loftren

Those are two very good answers. For me personally I find that the mental aspect is the hardest factor to control.
    1. Keep my head on good nutrition which fuels the physical aspect. If I can't keep this straight, the lifts fail.
    2. Keeping other distractions out of my head during my training.
    3. Block fear

For me if the mental is good, then everything else falls in-place. Physical limitations are there but with consistent work they can be over come, to a certain degree at least.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    mccoybrah wrote: »

Nobody is impressed, there is one individual (I won't call him out) on this page that has a 600lb+ squat to his name, and you don't see him bragging.
  • mccoybrah
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Nobody is impressed, there is one individual (I won't call him out) on this page that has a 600lb+ squat to his name, and you don't see him bragging.

you mad cos you cant do half of that on your last set? You really think Id brag here? Lel. I know lot of individuals who can do 600+ out but I see em mirin too
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    my grip typically is a limiting factor if i'm going heavy weight on something like a deadlift or am really pulling a heavy bent row.

Same with me. I probably could lift heavier weights, especially when working with kettlebells, but my grip strength isn't quite there yet.
    I'd also like to plead that I have small hands. (well, that excuse makes me feel better anyway).
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

you mad cos you cant do half of that on your last set? You really think Id brag here? Lel. I know lot of individuals who can do 600+ out but I see em mirin too

I've seen you pop up on two threads now and am convince you're trolling, or seriously stunted.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

I've seen you pop up on two threads now and am convince you're trolling, or seriously stunted.

Probably got too much protein in the brain or something. I have no idea what that guy is on about.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

He's 20 years old and a Miscer from Bodybuilding.com. Not really a troll, just sort of sad.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Not at all, my squat is better than yours if you must know. I imagine my OHP and Bench are too, but nice try.
  • mccoybrah
    Options

Not at all, my squat is better than yours if you must know. I imagine my OHP and Bench are too, but nice try.

lel. Sure, Thars why no AVI. No thnx jefd
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

do you even type, bro?
  • mccoybrah
    Options

Inb4 temp ban.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You cannot grow additional myocytes (muscle cells), the cells can only hypertrophy (get bigger). Cells can only get so large before they have too much internal size to function well/maintain membrane integrity, so your muscles can only get so strong before a limit is reached.

There's a difference between sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which focuses more on increased muscle glycogen storage (size) and myofibrillar hypertrophy, which focuses more on the size of the fibers (strength).

The factors that limit our strength are:
    -Neural drive (CNS)
    -Secondary contractile messenger system
    -Optimal actin and myosin contractile protein saturation

Generally if you reach a strength plateau you can continue to increase the size of the supporting muscles to increase strength. You can also increase the size of the muscles, which can allow for greater strength development.
    When you hit a wall on a lift, the problem is one of the following (this is true 100% of the time):

Physical
    Technical
    Mental - Loftren

Those are two very good answers. For me personally I find that the mental aspect is the hardest factor to control.
    1. Keep my head on good nutrition which fuels the physical aspect. If I can't keep this straight, the lifts fail.
    2. Keeping other distractions out of my head during my training.
    3. Block fear

For me if the mental is good, then everything else falls in-place. Physical limitations are there but with consistent work they can be over come, to a certain degree at least.

agree...

and the mental aspect is a b****
  • mccoybrah
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

do you even type, bro?

do you even type, bro?

do you even abs, bro?
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you even type, bro?

do you even type, bro?

do you even abs, bro?

I would rather have the mental fortitude to type a complete sentence, then have abs.

but enjoy pumping gas for the rest of your life with communication skills like that. I'll stop in to say high next time I need my tank filled up.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

He's 20 years old and a Miscer from Bodybuilding.com. Not really a troll, just sort of sad.
    Super sad how he thinks anyone would admire that.

Sorry, mirin.
  • mccoybrah
    Options

do you even type, bro?

do you even type, bro?

do you even abs, bro?

I would rather have the mental fortitude to type a complete sentence, then have abs.

but enjoy pumping gas for the rest of your life with communication skills like that. I'll stop in to say high next time I need my tank filled up.

Lmao. Sure brokeass, Mccoys park at collesiums. Come, We might give you "bama justice" on em arm jerkers.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Inb4 temp ban.

aware

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

mirin.

OK so now that I realize we are speaking broglish here... What is this word? I assume we are not talking about a sweet Japanese rice wine.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »

mirin.

OK so now that I realize we are speaking broglish here... What is this word? I assume we are not talking about a sweet Japanese rice wine.
    HAHAH my first thought.

Urban dictionary says it's to admire, had to look it up myself.