Going for Chinese meal....need help!

Options
Hi MFP's I need some help/guidance/assistance...I've lost nearly 6stone (37lbto go) I'm on 1500 cals a day. I'm going to a Chinese restaurant (UK) for the first time in a long time at the end of March and just would like to know what I could eat without going over cals! I'm thinking smoked shredded chicken and plain rice. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if you know the restaurant try looking up nutrition facts online. or try looking up similar restaurant to give you an idea ahead of time.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I went for chinese one day last week. I ordered lunch size portion and then ate half of it. I still got to fully enjoy the flavors and really, even a lunch size is a lot of food.

Enjoy it. Log it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was on a very restricted diet the only chinese food I could handle was the Won Ton soup.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You're going a month from now? Since it's so infrequent, eat whatever you want in reasonable amounts. I doubt you'll eat more than 1500 calories there. And even if you did, one day doesn't affect long-term progress much.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    Just get whatever you want and eat half of it xx
  • vanessa628
    vanessa628 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to look online and see if I can get calories to the nearest value. Everyday I have porridge oats with water for breakfast and a ham salad for lunch, dinner is normally grilled chicken or fish with veg plus I walk about 2 miles per day. So generally that leaves me about 900 cals, just been so good since 1st March, Im dreading going over
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're planning a meal a month away and dreading it?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're doing this wrong. The key is to practice moderation and portion control, not to stop living your life or to start dreading food.

A healthy relationship with food means enjoying what you eat and not obsessing over it. If you find yourself developing food fears, avoiding social situations, or otherwise panicking about what you eat, those are signs of disordered eating and you might want to look at a method other than calorie counting, since this could be rather unhealthy for you in the long run.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's a little far out to be worried about this IMO.

But it's also not something to worry over even if it was tomorrow. You have two choices. Eat whatever you've had in the past but half to reduce the calories. Or eat something like soup followed up by a steamed meal. The menus (even for cheap takeout places) usually offer a section that is steamed/low calorie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    vanessa628 wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm going to look online and see if I can get calories to the nearest value. Everyday I have porridge oats with water for breakfast and a ham salad for lunch, dinner is normally grilled chicken or fish with veg plus I walk about 2 miles per day. So generally that leaves me about 900 cals, just been so good since 1st March, Im dreading going over

That's way too little food.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get sushi if you're really concerned. Tis delicious and won't blow your budget. (I love the salmon avocado rolls). Otherwise just enjoy and divide your meal into several smaller ones.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sushi is Japanese, not Chinese. And it is very high calorie.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Sushi is Japanese, not Chinese. And it is very high calorie.

Truth. I wish it wasn't, but it is....

OP - You are obsessing and you aren't eating enough if that is all you are eating. It might be time to take a step back and re-assess your relationship with food.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Just get whatever you want and eat half of it xx
    THIS.
    I love Chinese and Thai. Enjoy!

• Kelly79L
    Kelly79L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chicken chow mein is supposed to be the best thing to order at around 600 cals a portion but obviously all restaurants are different with different portion sizes, just don't go too mad and enjoy, so what if it takes you an extra couple of days to lose the next lb, you have to enjoy life while your on your weight loss journey