So I just got a Fitbit HR.....

Options
I set it up & put it on my wrist just now & it says I burned 913 calories today. How is that possible when I just put it in my wrist. All Fitbit users please school this newbie on how it works! Thanks :-)

Replies

• katelei1380
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I got mine. Based on the info you put in to set up your account, it's estimating what you have burned from midnight to the point in the day when you put it on. Since it didn't get to measure your heart rate through the day, it won't be very accurate, it's based on what you burn sedentary.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ok, so can I like reset it right before a workout for example?
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Bump
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You hold the button to put it into workout mode.
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Thank you!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have one, its not accurate. Dont baase anything on it. On the otherhand i do enjoy fiddling with it and looking at graphs and numbers on the cool fitbit app.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Fitbits give you your BMR calories too. So if your BMR at sedentary is 2500 and you do nothing but sit all day then it will show you burning 2500 cals for the day. If you get up and move it will add those into your BMR Cals for total cals burned for the day. It is estimating the average BMR for a person based on the stats you input so it might not be 100% accurate to you but I have heard the HR is more accurate than the normal Charge because of the Heart rate part.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit will reset at midnight every night, clearing your data for the day; however you still burn calories while you sleep or rest, so the data you see is your estimated calorie burn for the day or BMR, it is estimated using your age, gender, height and weight.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Where did you buy yours from? And how long did it take to arrive? Thanks!
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also just got a fitbit hr so will follow this thread with interest.. forgive my ignorance but what does BMR stand for? There are so many acronyms on here I don't understand!
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ghoti_fish wrote: »
    I also just got a fitbit hr so will follow this thread with interest.. forgive my ignorance but what does BMR stand for? There are so many acronyms on here I don't understand!

Basal Metabolic Rate
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Where did you buy yours from? And how long did it take to arrive? Thanks!

I tried finding it at Best Buy & Dicks, they were both sold out. I finally found it at Target.
  • Cpollard6608
    Cpollard6608 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Depending upon the time that you put the fitbit on, it will account for the calories burned through your BMR. Additionally, I have found that the longer that the fitbit is worn, the more accurate the calories burnt become. I upgraded from the force to the surge and was not impressed at first, but after 2 weeks the numbers adjusted nicely and provided you wear the HR as recommended, you should receive fairly accurate results. Now, I do not have any hard data to back this up, but in comparison with the calorie burns I had wearing the force they are nearly the same now. Additionally, I adjusted the HR zones to allow the fitbit to not overestimate calories burnt.

I am a big fan of the Fitbit products and will swear by their effectiveness as a support for weight loss. However, I would say that you cannot get hung up on the small inaccuracies of the technology and rely upon hard data such as calorie counting and knowing what your macros should be. Good luck and if you have any additional questions about it, feel free to PM me and I will help out the best that I can.