Elliptical or Rower

Options
This may be beating a dead horse but I will ask anyway. My goal is to lose 50+ lbs. I have a stationary recumbent bike and it can get boring at times. Between an elliptical and a rower which would y'all recommended to burn maximum calories? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    eating less...shape your body later when you slimmer.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you asking because you are purchasing a machine? Or are you going to a facility where you have a choice? I alternate between 2-3 different cardio machines weekly so I don't get into a complacent rut AND to work different parts of my body.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Strength training should start NOW.

However the question was about cardio machines.
    Cardio makes you a smaller version of your current shape, lifting really transforms your shape.

OP, if you're buying one for your home, I vote rower because I hate ellipticals.
    If you're going to a gym and have access to both, try them out. Switch between them

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    "An elliptical burns slightly more calories per hour than a rowing machine, according to the Harvard School of Public Health"

http://woman.thenest.com/rowing-machine-vs-elliptical-trainer-1359.html
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Pick the one you won't get bored with and will keep using.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you are purchasing, think carefully about which motion you would prefer to do nearly every day, rowing or stepping. Calorie burns on a machine can be altered with intensity/duration.
  • AwfHand
    AwfHand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Engaging the largest amount of muscle mass consumes the most calories. This leans in favor of the elliptical. It's not just using it, but how you use it that will provide the biggest calorie burn. Look up "intervals". The biggest part in any weight loss will be in burning more calories than you eat.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I tend to favor the rowing machine. Like the above link discusses, it uses more of your body. I don't know what your experience has been, but there have been times when, while using an elliptical, my hands were really just along for the ride while my lower body did the work. On a rowing machine, the upper / mid / lower body motions are distinct, making it easier to make sure everything's doing its share.

In doing this, it can also help develop more muscles, which can give you a little boost as far as LBM that burns calories outside of exercise. (The muscles used also include upper body ones that can contribute to the "V" form often sought after in male physiques. It's far from my motivation for using a rower, but it's an appreciated side-effect.)

Also, when I got to a point I was looking to equip my home gym, I went with a rowing machine because it could fold up and occupy less space when not in use without losing much in the way of performance. The only thing that had to be "foldable" was the beam that does nothing except provide the track the seat rolls on. I don't know if ellipticals can fold up without having to alter the design of important moving / working parts.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a Weider home gym (with a weighted rowing option) and an elliptical machine. I use both - alternate days. As someone above said - I get very little in the way of arms with the elliptical. I get a LOT of upper back, core and arm workout with the rowing, but then it's weighted. The elliptical is very cardio oriented - the rower in my case, at least, is more strength oriented.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Strength training should start NOW.

However the question was about cardio machines.
    Cardio makes you a smaller version of your current shape, lifting really transforms your shape.

OP, if you're buying one for your home, I vote rower because I hate ellipticals.
    If you're going to a gym and have access to both, try them out. Switch between them

^^This.

If you're spending money it'd be better spent on a set of weights.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I have both & like both but if you get bored easily I'd go with the elliptical. When you row you'll either do an aerobic or anaerobic workout but the motion is the same. With an elliptical you can pedal forwards, backwards, at an incline, go hands free & do partial squats and/or oblique twists, hold hand weights.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a Water Rower and an elyptical. I use the elyptical for cardio. I use the Water Rower as a mix with other exercises.
    I read Concept has some good rowers that may be better suited for cardio.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I vote rowing ergometer. It is not purely cardio, and if done correctly will burn way more calories than an elliptical.
    That Harvard School of Public Health link, if you read the whole article, the key line is actually ...
    "Because of the increased muscle use necessary for rowing, your metabolism will stay elevated longer after your workout, resulting in a higher post-workout calorie burn."

So, I would say get a Concept II for home (it will come with some workouts and pictures for how to use it properly) or use one at a gym - but be sure to have someone who has actually rowed show you how to use it. Once you get the motion and rhythm correct it'll all be good. Don't be one of those people heaving and yanking on the handle with the tension cranked to 10 and then letting it pull them back to the catch position so they fly up the slide at warp speed. Aaaaaaaa!!!!! If you want to do the deadlift, go get a bar bell.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole E25 elliptical at my house for a quick cardio workout when I don't feel like going to the gym. I typically use the rower (Concept 2) and treadmill when I go to the gym for a cardio workout, but get more of strength workout on the rower than the treadmill. I like that I can adjust incline, resistance level, go backwards to hit different muscles, and work my arms on my elliptical.

I think the bigger selling point for me on the elliptical versus the rower is that I can set my tablet on the elliptical and watch movies or read while I workout, whereas on the rower I can't do this and I get bored fairly quickly! That may be something worth considering.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your burn is going to be largely a bi-product of time and intensity, not what machine or exercise you are doing. Personally I would opt for a rower though...because it seems less boring.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yeah, doesn't really matter, tbh. It's up to you. Calorie burn will be a function of how hard you're working for the most part and will probably vary greatly. I wouldn't get hung up too much on which is infinitesimally better and instead figure out what one you will keep doing.

I vote for the strength training starting ASAP and shaking up your cardio routine so you don't get bored or feel in a rut, but that's just me.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical when I'm dragging and not up to a more strenuous machine. I use the rower when I'm feeling strong and can handle it. IOW, a rower kicks my butt and an elliptical doesn't.
  • Sammydc135
    Sammydc135 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the rower, to change it up i do different exercises (always on 10 resistance) and aim for 200m in less than 40 seconds, 500m in less than 2 minutes or 1000m in less than 4 minutes as i always need a goal to aim for i can't just row mindlessly for 10 minutes.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I like the rower, too. Though, I use it to warm up before I lift (since ours is also weighted), not as my main form of cardio.

The one at my gym has games on it, basically on the technological level of Frogger or Snake, but still pretty entertaining. Plus, I get to pretend I'm Francis Underwood (House of Cards, anyone?).