Trouble Getting To Sleep - Exercise To Blame?

Options
MisterSixer
MisterSixer Posts: 37 Member
I work a day office job and usually hit the gym from 6-730pm (weights, circuit training). I have my post-workout shake at 745p and dinner at 9p. I have had a lot of trouble getting to sleep the past few months (ever since I quit drinking), and was wondering if the exercise is to blame. I heard that it can keep your heart rate jacked for up to 5 hours post-workout. I go to bed by 11:30p it takes about 90 minutes to fall asleep. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any solutions that worked for you?

I've tried Melatonin, Valerian, etc. but I wake up after a few hours and its back to the ceiling staring ritual. I need some good natural sleep. If anyone has any insight or recommendations I would appreciate it.

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a cup or two of chamomile tea after you are all settled in bet with your jammies.
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    Perhaps Your Cardio level is still at a high..
    do u gradually bring your cardio down?
    After my cardio and then i go home, i sit down for a little bit.. come on MFP and then go
    to bed. and I fall asleep happy and relieved.
    Sounds like you are busy too, high stress levels reduce our Melitonin(cant spell) levels
    and tell our body to not produce it as we would need it..
    Try something mellow and relaxing before bed. No tv. maybe tea>? a hot shower and just stand in the heat and breath
    away any anxiety and tension you have from your long day!
    Cheers!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I find reading a chapter or 2 in a book right before bed helps. Especially when its one of my law school books, they're so boring, I'm asleep instantly.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I actually googled this and there are conflicting theories about it. I too have trouble sleeping and wonder if it is late night exercise. But I have found a PM Yoga routine and a bit of deep breathing exercises with a bit of relaxing soothing music, like the ocean or water falls, iPhone has a good sleep, meditation app called Relax M.P. , a few minutes helps calm me and get me ready for sleep.
  • marly37
    marly37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well. I switched my workouts to the mornings, total difference! More energy during the day and a better night sleep. I try to go to bed early and wake up earlier to do my workout. It's rough at first but after a week your body will adjust. Good luck!
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Wish I had the answer for you but feel your pain. I have always not slept much. On average I used to sleep 2-3 hours a day but these last few years I'm averaging 4-5 now which is great. I stare at the ceiling to fall asleep and sadly wake up quite a few times through the night. I can't remember ever sleeping straight through the night.

When I first started lifting I believe I had the same problem; I was jacked and riding a high. Didn't help that I worked out from 10:00 PM to 12:00 AM however I didn't go to bed till 2:00 or 3:00 AM but getting those few hours before I had to get up at 6:30 sucked. I know workout from 5:00 to 6:30 and I think from all of the years doing it my body has just become adjusted. I think in time you will as well.

Things that I find I need to do, and maybe why I am sleeping better; well better then I was, is that you have to SHUT OFF your brain. Stop thinking; don't think about anything. Physically try to relax. What has helped me in the past is tensing every muscle in my body individually one by one and releasing it. Start from your feet to your head and when done then try to settle into things. If you like it dark and quiet then make sure it is. Like a cool pillow; ensure it is.

Not sure if any of that will help for you but perhaps it will. You may even want to read a bit before going to bed. I would suggest NOT watching TV in bed as the lights and sound can interrupt REM sleep. Maybe even take a hot bath and drink some warm milk before going to bed. Good luck.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there are a few things working against you...
    -Exercising too soon before bed: this gets your endorphens going which may inhibit sleep.
    -Late meals: since your body needs to digest, it's not allowing you to sleep easily.
    - Quitting drinking: (good for you!!) your body's used to the alcohol so it may not used to having to sleep without it...this will adjust with time!

It may be beneficial to exercise earlier in the day and then eat your last meal earlier. I know this isn't always an easy or even possible option, but it's something to consider.

Good luck!!!
  • MisterSixer
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful responses. I don't do any cardio aside from the cardio that comes with the circuits. I think it may have something to do with stress as well. I was trying to convince myself it was physical but it could certainly be a stress/anxiety issue. I want to try switching to AM workouts but I'm worried I'll be a zombie at work for the first week or so.

Also, if I drink anything an hour before bed, I have to pay a visit to the W.C. at least once during the night, so I cut out my liquids by 10p.

I'm going to take your advice on a mediation routine, starting tonite!
  • marly37
    marly37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful responses. I don't do any cardio aside from the cardio that comes with the circuits. I think it may have something to do with stress as well. I was trying to convince myself it was physical but it could certainly be a stress/anxiety issue. I want to try switching to AM workouts but I'm worried I'll be a zombie at work for the first week or so.

Also, if I drink anything an hour before bed, I have to pay a visit to the W.C. at least once during the night, so I cut out my liquids by 10p.

I'm going to take your advice on a mediation routine, starting tonite!

If you switch to AM workouts, the first week IS brutal but if you stick with it, by the next week your body will start to adjust fairly quickly and the energy just rushes in thru out your day.
  • Hazelhaze05
    Hazelhaze05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Working out at night definitely keeps me up for a while. This is my getaway at night until I can sleep lol .. It might be your shake, if it has a lot of vitamins, or things that would keep you energized. I just started taking a shake in the morning and was advised to take it at the start of the day.

Hope you get some rest :)
  • MisterSixer
    Options
    So, I tried the meditation. Its much more difficult than I thought it would be. It really takes a lot of concentration (on nothing). There is a circus going on up there and it takes a long while to slow things down. But like with anything new, it will take practice and consistancy.
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep, eating too late and your body isn't used to normal sleep if you used to drink every night? Try a bit of relaxation meditation, get a talk through CD and put it on as you get to bed to help you relax. Not sure if it's true but I have read that the mineral content of pineapples aids sleep so it's a really good food to eat with your evening meal.

I have Divine Sound Meditation playing on loop all night (healing meditation), and I'm usually out cold within 10 minutes of switching my light out at most.
  • Hazelhaze05
    Hazelhaze05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do you think maybe you're thinking about it to much and it's not letting you sleep? I know if I have to wake up early, or I know I need to sleep those are the nights I'm never able to fall asleep.

I know this may be a silly option. But, when I'm laying in bed and can't sleep I browse the internet on my phone, or play games on it. Usually it makes me tired just from stating at the phone so long :)

Sweet dreams!