Can drinking water make you sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can drink too much water...but generally speaking, 8 cups of water isn't going to do it. I would pay a visit to the doc...I don't think 8 little cups of water in a 24 hour period is your issue.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In college, I knew a guy who died from drinking too much water. You really shouldn't force yourself to drink water. Most peoples glasses are larger than what is meant by a glass of water. Depending on what you are eating, you may be getting a significant amount of water from the food you eat. Vegetables tend to have a lot of water. Soup always has a lot of water.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Also should be discussing with your doctor not asking random people on the internet.

So much this
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    How do you drink your water? Chugging it? Because that will definately make you feel ill. However, if you take sips all day long you should be fine. I have a 32oz Nalgene water bottle at my desk and I take drinks out of it all day long. By the time it's time for me to go home for the day I've consumed at least 96oz of water. If not more.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You would have to drink A LOT more than 8 glasses of water to get sick from it.

Agreed. 8 cups isn't going to harm you. Your problem isn't the water (unless you are chugging 8 cups in less than 30 minutes).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You can drink too much water...but generally speaking, 8 cups of water isn't going to do it. I would pay a visit to the doc...I don't think 8 little cups of water in a 24 hour period is your issue.

Yep
  • exlibrissilvio
    exlibrissilvio Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of water a day and I don't have what you're experiencing. THAT sounds like low blood sugar.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    I know someone is going to say - are you serious? And the answer is yes, I'm serious.
    - I know I need to drink 8 -10 glasses of water each day. Somedays I do fine but there are days when I drink 8 glasses and I get light headed and dizzy.
    - My food intake is the same for breakfast and lunch. The only thing that changes are my snacks.
    - There are some days when I can't tolerate drinking water so the most I might get in is 4-6 glasses.

It just seems like when I drink 8-10 glasses or have to force myself to drink the 8-10 glasses I always feel horrible. I've been told that perhaps I'm diluting my electrolytes.

If I'm completely off my rocker - that's o.k. But if not, what should I do?

Question what you *think* you know.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I will get crucified but..whatever. If you are not used to drinking a whole lot of water it can make you feel sick sometimes. I am horrible at it. I used to only drink anything but water, pop, milk, juice, tea. It took some time to get used to getting rid of all that. I still have to make myself drink throughout the day. Because I will go days without drinking. I have to work myself up to it for several days in a row. And it can make me feel sick sometimes if it is a lot all at once. Don't worry about the whole 8 glasses, 64 oz a day and your urine needs to be crystal clear or you are gonna die. Drink when you need to, don't force yourself to.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have chugged 4 glasses trying to get in my full 8 but I have a doctor's appt tomorrow
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You all have been so helpful and made me feel so much better about my water intake. After reading everything, I started to stress less over the amount of water I'm intaking and am keeping in mind that some foods have water already in them.

I really appreciate everything, everyone has written and as I said - I will be going to the doctor's tomorrow. Thanks for your concern and support!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    You all have been so helpful and made me feel so much better about my water intake. After reading everything, I started to stress less over the amount of water I'm intaking and am keeping in mind that some foods have water already in them.

I really appreciate everything, everyone has written and as I said - I will be going to the doctor's tomorrow. Thanks for your concern and support!

Good to know :)