Is it actually possible to lose weight without exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    Can you lose weight by just dieting?

Funny. My mom just texted me and said she has really been trying to lose weight but hasn't been able to exercise due to the weather. I told he that you don't need to exercise to lose weight, that is just a myth. I've lost 17 pounds and have done zero exercising in an eight week time span. None. Just eat fewer calories than you burn. It's that simple.
    If so, would it stay off once your diet is over?

It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle. Once you get down to your target weight eat as many calories as you burn and you will maintain weight. It's that simple.
    How many calories would you need to lose weight?

This doesn't make much sense and if you continue your journey with any seriousness you will see why
    How long would it take to come off?

Depends how many fewer calories you eat than you burn (your deficit) on a daily basis. A 3500 calorie deficit or a 3500 calories surplus will equal one pound. So if you want to lose one pound per week eat 500 fewer calories than you burn everyday and you will lose one pounds per week (500 x 7 = 3500 = 1 pound). It's that simple.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. 2 years ago I did lose 4 stone by exercising and diet but would now like to try losing an extra 7 lbs without exercise.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    100% possible
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers, the only excercise I got was a leisurely stroll with my dog every day - approx. 20 minutes. At my goal weight, I was just a smaller version of my flabby self.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. You can do this by eating less calories, or by moving more to burn more calories, or by a combination of those two things. That's it. How much you lose depends on how much of a calorie deficit you create. How much of a deficit that you can create without being unhealthy depends on how much weight you have to lose. A pound a week loss is generally thought to be around a 500 calorie deficit per day. A person who weighs a lot can create a bigger calorie deficit than someone who is near their weight goal.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    calories in calories out... whether the deficit is created by burning more than you consume or consuming less than you burn you will lose weight. As soon as that changes then so does the weight loss. There is no "end date" to keeping track of your caloric intake whether it is to lose weight, gain weight, or maintain weight you should always know how many calories are going in and being burned :) BTW All of my weight loss is due to diet not exercise. I do however believe that a combination of the 2 is best for optimum health.
  • annied1961
    Options
    Can you lose weight by just dieting? If so, would it stay off once your diet is over? How many calories would you need to lose weight? How long would it take to come off?

• greghurley3950
    Options
    Yes but exercise helps. Moderate exercise helps keep your insulin levels more constant. For me, I think it helps me keep hungry spells in check.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Due to injuries at both of my hips my exercise is limited. Since April of 2014, i've lost 90 pounds by creating a deficit as others have mentioned.
  • annied1961
    Options
    Hello: I have spoken with 2 different dieters on here,
    who both lost 100 lbs.
    One exercised and the other didn't.
    The one who exercised felt more agile and toned,confident
    and very proud of this success.
    and the one who didn't exercise at all
    had droopy saggy skin, and felt depressed and who felt cheated by the whole experience.
    The choice is yours?