• *starting*
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm using the pushups pro app.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. My push-ups are sad. I'm going to try to do 3 sets of the daily number since I'm not completely a beginner. Sets of 20 are my goal since I want to start bench pressing. I read somewhere that unless you can do 20 push ups there's no point in bench pressing. Made sense but I'm not sure if it's completely true.
  • Misslillian123
    Misslillian123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a push up app on my phone :)
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bmanlatour wrote: »
    I'm with ya. My push-ups are sad. I'm going to try to do 3 sets of the daily number since I'm not completely a beginner. Sets of 20 are my goal since I want to start bench pressing. I read somewhere that unless you can do 20 push ups there's no point in bench pressing. Made sense but I'm not sure if it's completely true.

This is not true.... I can bench 80kg sets of 10 at the minute, and still find a set of 20 pressups much more difficult. Its just finding what your happy with yourself, and what you find a challenge.
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    A set of 20 push ups is a goal that I've had on my mind for a while. I want to do it. This challenge seems good for my goal.
  • Okay...@bmanlatour...you seem to be a taker. I plan to head to gym at 2:30 EST. I should be done by 3:45. I'll report back and let you know. I'll be a bit embarrassed about doing this at the gym. I could easily do at home...but it feels right to do at gym. Plus, once there...I'll do other stuff too.

I'll likely start with modified. I currently have some wrist, neck and ankle issues. I know 3 regular would likely be doable...but I've been taking it really slowly so as not to overdo it like I often do. Then I get discouraged. I'm going for the very slow build this time around.

Take care!

Any other takers?

Best to all!

~M.C. Turtle
  • anneelisabethkraemer
    Options
    I'm in! I'm currently doing push-ups on my knees and I really want to be able to do them on my toes.
  • mynubod
    Options
    Just saw this today. I'm gonna start tonight:) Feel free to add me as friend:)
  • claudiaxcu
    claudiaxcu Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'll start doing this too!!!
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    I did 8 sets of 3 push ups with a 20 sec rest between sets. 2 push ups were sloppy.
  • Finally got to the gym. Felt silly just doing 3 modified but I know it's the best course for me right now. Did have some wrist pain. Otherwise, good form!
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    Finally got to the gym. Felt silly just doing 3 modified but I know it's the best course for me right now. Did have some wrist pain. Otherwise, good form!

Nothing silly about making progress! Try lowering yourself in full position and drop your knees for the push up. Or try putting your hands elevated on a bench. The leverage is easier. Nothing wrong with working from the knees for now. Just some suggestions for other types of modified push ups.
  • onecolbeauty
    onecolbeauty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm all in with you.. Sexy arm here I come :-)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I already started, I did day one - last week. Maybe this week I will do day two. :D
  • lozloz1983
    lozloz1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in need to work on my press ups
  • I'll be headed to the gym by 9:20 AM EST. Weight lifting today and three more push-ups. I'm gonna do this.

I have to say, I was mainly inspired because of some math I did recently.

I turned 40 this month and had the passing thought that maybe I'd start doing 40 sit-ups a day for the year.

I didn't.

After a week or so passed I thought about it again...on that day, the amount of sit-ups I would have already done was 560! I thought about how much that seemed and thought, "Well...maybe if I do the 40 a day from now on and just add 10 a day to make up for the ones I 'lost' then I'll feel better."

But then I found I got discouraged that it would take me 56 days to make up for the 2 weeks I hadn't done 40 a day!

Alas, I have yet to do sit ups...but starting the push ups have been inspiring!

On the floor people! You can do it!

~M.C. Turtle
  • I did day 2! It was actually 4 push-ups. Woo-hoo!
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    I did day 2! It was actually 4 push-ups. Woo-hoo!

Nice work! Keep up the progress!
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    I did 6 sets of 4 push-ups. 2 were from the knees to finish a set