WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

OK … going to try the open document thing ….

Katla … my pantry has been purged of what the average American eats … mainly because of my son and his migraine diet. The cookies are frozen and hidden … because son and husband seem to think the world will come to an end if there isn’t some kind of homemade baked good in the house. I dole them out a dozen at a time and they literally inhale them! Still, healthy choices can turn into no-no’s for me if I’m not staying within my calorie budget … I’ve been known to make myself sick on things like carrot sticks … sigh … Will definitely send good thoughts your way in getting your husband to do what he needs to do. Let me know how you do it, as I’m facing a similar situation with my husband.

Michele … I have to pour the soap into the dispenser … that’s a pain and a job I give to my husband! As for Vince’s breathing difficulties … do you think he might be having a problem with mold? You’ve mentioned the leaking apartment above… oh, I see Joyce is thinking along the same lines.

Heather … there are some days I wish I were a drinker … just sayin'. Thank you for the recipe. Will give it a try.

Doccnm … ask Cindy to show you one of her profile pics … she has abs I would have killed for in my 20s!

Where is Cindy, btw. Haven't seen her post lately.

Janet … the deer will survive the developments … in fact, once they adapt (and they will) they will decide that all of your lovely gardens are their new restaurants. My mother gets 3-4 bed down in her tiny little yard in the first suburban ring outside Cleveland every night. When they walk in the morning, they have to be on the watch for the deer running about or they’ll get knocked over.

Jolenec1 … glad you weren’t seriously hurt … sorry … I laughed at the idea of the girls protecting your face! I don’t think mine are up to the job …

JB … love the poems!

MMinMD … 11 pounds down is fantastic! Yay you!

Gail … I haven’t had a garden for a while as the deer have destroyed our last few efforts … even with high fences! But I have to say, this winter has me longing for a garden and the weather required to grow one!

I seem to be fighting a digestive bug ... nothing serious ... just really off with occasional bouts of light stomach pain. Helps keep the food choices in line ...

DS#2 with the migraines is not doing well ... more migraine this week. Neurologist wants to see him tomorrow as none of our rescue treatments are working. Rats.

Have a good evening.
    Beth in Western New York

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. This afternoon I went to my friend's mother's funeral, then rushed back to town to pick up the kids from school. Now, I'm in my office at the studio listening to DGD#1 practicing piano out in the gallery. I'm not sure she's doing the lessons quite the way her teacher asked, but what do I know. Sounds like random experimentation to me. I guess that's good too, though. I brought the electronic keyboard up to the studio for her to practice on, since the studio is so much closer to their apartment than our house, and I can be doing my drafting at the same time. Seems like it will work out OK.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

An Engineer was unemployed for long time. He could not find a job so he opened a medical clinic and puts a sign up outside: "Get your treatment for $500, if not treated get back $1,000."

One Doctor thinks this is a good opportunity to earn $1,000 and goes to his clinic.

Doctor: "I have lost taste in my mouth."

Engineer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."

Doctor: "This is Gasoline!"

Engineer: "Congratulations! You've got your taste back. That will be $500."

The Doctor gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days later to recover his money.

Doctor: "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."

Engineer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."

Doctor: "But that is Gasoline!"

Engineer: "Congratulations! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."

The Doctor leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.

Doctor: "My eyesight has become weak."

Engineer: "Well, I don't have any medicine for this. Take this $1,000."

Doctor: "But this is $500..."

Engineer: "Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500."

:D

Have a great evening!

Sylvia

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    SallyW.-- I love your analogy between Hank (my GSP) and horses.... Since I also have those! And you are so right about me just needing to put the time in! I do use the prong collar carefully, and he has gotten better, but I guess I am just silly or lazy enough to want a magic wand! On the other hand, he sure helps me get my miles in everyday!!!

Bobbi
    NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Enjoying reading posts as I drink my tea.

MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Gretchen Rubin writes a lot about loopholes that people use to excuse a deviation from a habit or a healthy plan; I love what she writes. She has just written a new book about habits called "Better Than Before". I haven't read the whole book yet.

Lately on MFP, I have been reading some interesting variations on that theme.

*I can't stay on a healthy eating plan because I live alone.

*I can't stay on a healthy eating plan because I have a family to feed.

*I can't stay on a healthy eating plan because I am at work all day.

*I can't stay on a healthy eating plan because I am at home all day.

If it is important to you, you will find a way, if not, then you'll find an excuse.

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Barbie - well said!! I have a friend who is always going to exercise and eat right when her life settles down. She knows it is an excuse. I have told her so many times she needs to put herself and her health first and let life work around her.

Beth - I know I mentioned this before but have you tried acupuncture for your son? I go to a very reputable acupuncturist and she says she has had wonderful results treating people for migraines. She even used the word "cured" which I have never heard her use. I know that my A1c has held steady, my resistance is better, and my energy level is up, stress level down with acupuncture. If you do consider it, check for one who is highly trained and certified, preferably one with a holistic approach.

Heather and others - thanks for the recipes

I have enjoyed the pictures of pets and other lovely things.

Enjoy your evening, ladies!
    Toni
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Barbie - well said!! I have a friend who is always going to exercise and eat right when her life settles down. She knows it is an excuse. I have told her so many times she needs to put herself and her health first and let life work around her.

Beth - I know I mentioned this before but have you tried acupuncture for your son? I go to a very reputable acupuncturist and she says she has had wonderful results treating people for migraines. She even used the word "cured" which I have never heard her use. I know that my A1c has held steady, my resistance is better, and my energy level is up, stress level down with acupuncture. If you do consider it, check for one who is highly trained and certified, preferably one with a holistic approach.

Heather and others - thanks for the recipes

I have enjoyed the pictures of pets and other lovely things.

Enjoy your evening, ladies!
    Toni
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    does everyone know their resting heart rate?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pipcd34 - No what does that mean? Also what range should it be in when I do zumba? Also what does "net" calories mean?

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm#

everyone should know what that is so you can find out what your target heart rate is when you are working out. it varies for everyone.

net calories:
    Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Pipcd34 - but what does the net calories do? Are they added up to equal how much you can lose?
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Howdy all. Busy day at work, but managed to get my after-lunch walk in. I also did 10” on the treadmill and lifted weights. My blood pressure, I am happy to report is now back down in the 120-130/70s range which is way better than it was. Got a phone call from the Infusion Center at the hospital trying to contact DD#1 because she has not been showing up for her iron infusions. So once again, DH heads over there after work and has a little discussion. She’s still bleeding 4 months after giving birth. It’s so frustrating because she’s an adult but not cognitively but there isn’t anything we can make her do.

Michelle: I have seen those noodles at the store too and am tempted to try them sometime. Not sure what to do with them though!

Yanniejannie: one of my cats is a hoarder too, favoring shiny things like binder clips and other oddities like my contact cases! I usually find the stuff under one of my dressers! It’s all in a nice little pile

Tina: YES! We all do have days like that. Just start again tomorrow. The big thing is not to beat yourself up, which will make you feel worse so you eat again!

Barbie: I am the queen of foot-in-mouth land! I feel for you!

Heather: when he’s done send your hubby my way to make my breakfast!

Doccnm: welcome aboard you joined by posting! I too am a professor of nursing. My background is trauma nursing. I think it is totally possible to have that flat belly, but it’s a lot of work! There is one lady who teaches an aerobics dance class at the Y who is post menopausal and have 6 kids and looks better than most 20 year olds!

Jolenec: where do you live? What a pretty scene!

Katla: my friend with the knee has been to 3 different orthopedic surgeons at three totally different practices and they all say the same. I just can’t get over it! Hope DH says on the PT and does what they say!

Terri: the noodles taste fishy? Hmmm I’ll be looking with you for some recommended recipes!

MMinMD: congrats on the weight loss. You are doing something right!

Sylvia: l loved the picture of all the bowls! Beautiful!

Gail: sending healing thoughts for your sister. Knitting hats…what a sweet thing to do!

Kim: I gave in and had a donut yesterday and LOVED it! I still did ok for the day but your post made me smile!

Beth: the world won’t end if we don’t have cookies? Oh my! What’s a girl to do??? :D How is your son these days? I don’t recall hearing about him recently. I think he had a bad spell not too long ago, didn’t he?

Toni: how does acupuncture help diabetes?

Well ladies, my knee is barking so it’s time for ice and motrin. It hasn’t hurt all day which really pleased me. I also heard a robin this morning! Take care everyone, Meg from :D Omaha where we are expecting snow tomorrow! Yay I love snow.
    PS welcome newbies and sorry to those who have too much snow!!!

• pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Pipcd34 - but what does the net calories do? Are they added up to equal how much you can lose?

This means that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising. We do not recommend that women consume fewer than 1200 calories, or men fewer than 1500 calories, on a given day.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    how to figure out your resting heart rate:

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting.htm
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's been a while but at last I've found you again and got hooked reading your posts! Nearly 2 hours later I really need to get to bed!!! My three dogs are looking at me as if to say - Mum it's time for bed! Yes, I know!
    - Have a good day! MA in UK
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Deb from Ontario. Lost 65 pounds last year and intend to lose at least 20 this year, hopefully 30 in total. Love hiking and cycling, which is basically how I lost all the weight. Looking forward to hearing from the people in this group and their journey towards a leaner energetic body. I'm amazed that at this age - 57 - my body can reshape and improve even after all the neglect over the years. There is no stopping me lol.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Does anyone lift heavy? If so, what do you do?

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jari Love Slim & Lean DVD today. Tomorrow's plan is to go to yoga and then take the step class.

yanniejannie - Gemma sounds so cute! Hope Gwen isn't getting sick. I'm with you, I'm not at all creative. Good at following directions, not good at deciding on colors etc. on something from scratch

Joyce - Vince bought a HEPA air filter today. It's supposed to be big enough to clean the air in two rooms. Since he's in the living room mostly and in the bedroom, we have it at the doorway to the bedroom and livingroom. He said that although not comfortable, sleeping on the porch last night with the doors open helped some. Remember, this condo is one of the older ones. I'd guess it was probably built around the time that the space program was at its height. So mold could be from lots of different sources. many years ago the condo above us had water from rain by their door and it came thru the concrete and the area above the door was crumbling. We had that repaired a few years ago.

Vince was saying today that if we didn't have the Magical Evening for the Newcomers coming up that we're hosting, we'd stay longer. Next year if we do something (I'd like to), I'd like to do it in mid-Feb., then have the board meeting a week early, then we could stay for a few weeks

Cynthia - Vince gets a newsletter from Tufts Univ called "Catnip". It's quite interesting. One thing we learned is that cats are used to bringing their "prey" back to their "nest". Since they aren't in the wild, the "prey" is the toy (or your keys), and their "nest" is their food/water. Explained why our cats many times bring their toys and drop them in the water/food bowl.

Went to the Y and even tho I requested the barbell/weights and was told that they'd have them, they didn't. However, I finally spoke to the person in charge and she assured me that she'd have them set aside for me Thursday. So we shall see.

doccnm - welcome! Come back often. I think that we need to accept our bodies. I know that I'll never get a flat belly. Sounds like you're doing wonderful

angles - welcome! I am a night nibbler and have found that if I do a craft (xstitch, crochet, etc) that keeps my mind and hands from snacking.

Heather - the allbran recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Carol in NC - oh no, it snowed! Hope it'll be gone soon.

Janet - lots of times I think the weatherman could predict the weather more accurately if he looked out the window!

buttercup - welcome

jolenec - what a pic. What did you crochet? Do you happen to have any patterns that are EASY for a Christmas tree skirt? I need to make one. Right now I'm latch hooking one tree skirt, I'm xstitching these dish towels for next christmas, and I need to make a tree skirt. But I need something that's EASY to do. I made one that was nothing but dc all around. To me, that's somewhat boring.

katla - good thoughts being sent to you

barbie - Bryan one time said to me "ma, I know your heart is in the right place, sometimes your words just aren't"

terri - so sorry BM is sick, but glad you'll get to see him next week

Gail - ((((hug)))) How nice of you to make those hats!

crazydoglady - Many times I have trouble finding clothes because stores either don't carry or only carry a VERY limited amount of petite sizes

sally - hope Talga is better real soon

Kim- good for you keeping going. Extra kudos for not going to those donut shops! Oh, how I WISH we had a Trader Joes, either in Hickory or even here in FL. But, alas, no such luck. I loved TJ's when we were in PA. In one sense, it's probably good that we don't have a TJ's since i'd be there all the time spending mucho dollars.

pip - My RHR is in the upper 50's

Meg - can't get over that dd is STILL bleeding and hasn't done anything about it.

Went to see a friend of mine today. She lives about 6 months of the year in Port St. Lucie FL which is about 2 hrs from me. We had a nice chat. Went to Ruby Tuesdays for lunch. I had the veggie platter, steamed broccoli, grilled zucchini, and spaghetti squash. then I had their salad on the side, made mine of tomato, onion, mushrooms, cukes, edamame, peas. Only had water to drink.

Mary - what is your definition of "heavy"?

Michele from NC now in FL but not for long (unfortunately)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele from NC - I heard about strong lift 5x5 but know nothing about lifting heavy or what is considered heavy. I saw a thread on it with dramatic results and am thinking of trying it.

Mary from Minnesota