Confused about goals and MFP calorie adjustments

Options
when at first I changed my exercise goals from no exercise goal to working out twice a week for 25 min it lowered my daily calories by 30, Today I updated my goal to working out 4 times a week for 25 min and in turn MFP lowered my calorie goal by 30 per day again, I am confused. Why less calories for more exercise?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Did you also change your weight?
  • brandibare
    brandibare Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nope =(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Your exercise goals shouldn't adjust your calories, they have no relevance, they are just "plans/goals". Something else got changed in there-perhaps the rate of loss you're wishing for?
  • brandibare
    Options
    I've maybe lost 3 lbs since i had originally changed my goal to twice a week. I still have 100+ lbs to go. I was eating 1470 cal now it says 1440. If it's going to lower my calories by 30 every time i lose 3 lbs then we have a problem LOL
  • brandibare
    Options
    Hmm, my rate has always been set at 2 lbs per week.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The calorie goal changes as you lose weight. I don't use MFP's numbers but if you're updating your weight then that should be waht causes the calorie change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    brandibare wrote: »
    I've maybe lost 3 lbs since i had originally changed my goal to twice a week. I still have 100+ lbs to go. I was eating 1470 cal now it says 1440. If it's going to lower my calories by 30 every time i lose 3 lbs then we have a problem LOL

Okay, go back in and recheck that nothing else has changed. Something isn't right.
  • brandibare
    Options
    Everything else seems normal. It's set to guided (not manual) my daily activities are sedentary my weight hasn't changed since last week when i updated it. The only thing I've changed is exercise goals. Maybe it is the weight loss I had last week, but you think it would automatically update that or do you need to go into your goals to instigate it? It seems like lowering me 30 cal twice over a period of a month that i lost only 5 lbs seems strange to me.
  • ana3067
    Options
    If it's doing it automatically, then you updating your weight (like through the little scale icon, not through settings) will probably be what changes your calories.

Test it out, go change your current weight through the icon to add an additional 10lbs and see if your goal changes. If it does then you know what's causing it, and you can go and manually change your calories back (and delete that weight entry/reset it)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I believe your calorie goal only changes with every 10 lbs. you lose.

I read this weekend that there was a known glitch (people setting up accounts were getting goals significantly lower than 1200-the minimum)...it could possibly have something to do with that, though it's not changing your goal by a significant amount.
  • brandibare
    Options
    Is it totally sad that I just really wanted those 30 calories back? LOL
  • ana3067
    Options
    brandibare wrote: »
    Is it totally sad that I just really wanted those 30 calories back? LOL
    Nope, since that's over 200 calories for a week, and who knows how much just 200 less in a week might affect you! You can manually change it back to where it was before it updated itself.
    tlblood wrote: »
    I believe your calorie goal only changes with every 10 lbs. you lose.

I read this weekend that there was a known glitch (people setting up accounts were getting goals significantly lower than 1200-the minimum)...it could possibly have something to do with that, though it's not changing your goal by a significant amount.

Someone posted in a recent thread, she had lost ~2lbs or something and lost well over 50 calories from her goal. So idk if there is yet another issue with MFP or if it just changes more often now.
  • brandibare
    Options
    Well I'll try this out for now and try my best not to be too grumpy about it.
  • brandibare
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone!