Question about noob gains

Options
I have seen many threads with people saying you can't gain muscle in a deficit...except possibly for some noob gains. I am eating at a deficit. Probably about 500 calories most days, as I still have a few more pounds to lose.

I started some body weight exercises a little over a month ago. I am not interested in gaining significant muscle mass. I am female, and a lot of definition is not a look that I want for myself (I'm not saying it is bad for other women, I just prefer a softer less defined look). However, I generally would like to be a little stronger...maybe actually be able to do proper pushups one of these days, perhaps get a SLIGHTLY rounder butt...I have no interest in being a Kardashian, just a little more round.

My question is do you think I can accomplish this with my "noob gains"? How far can they take me in a deficit? I do know that when I stopped jogging and started doing intervals with sprints, after a couple of months of sprints my thighs got slightly bigger..about half an inch each. I know this was muscle, because I continued to lose weight (at least 15 pounds) during this time period and most of my other measurements went down.

Can I get similar results in my glutes? If I am just looking for a little more strength, and maybe an inch or two inches max to my glutes, do you think this is realistic at a deficit without heavy lifting? Just using body weight squats, lunges, hip bridges, etc.?

I don't have any interest joining a gym, and doing bulks, etc. And right now it wouldn't make sense because my primary goal is still fat loss, so the deficit is necessary. Just a LITTLE more muscle would be desirable though. What can I reasonably expect with consistent effort? I'm in no hurry...if it takes me several months to see visible results I could deal with that.

Replies

• ashlimy
    ashlimy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your deficit is not too great you can. Make sure you are getting enough protein everyday so you are not losing muscle. You may need to eat a bit more calories on days you work out if you actually lift.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm no expert, but my understanding is increasing strength and adding muscle mass are two different things. You can increase strength and limit losing muscle mass while in a deficit. But it in order to increase muscle mass you need to eat in a surplus.

When noobie gains are mentioned, it is in regards to adding muscle mass.
    So I would think you can def get stronger, but no guarantee on building your glutes. But it can't hurt to try, and even if you don't see any noob gains, you will preserve what you've got and make it stronger so it will be easier to build them once you've lost the fat!
  • ashlimy
    ashlimy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you on reddit? Check out r/keto gains. This group keeps a caloric deficit to lose fat and lifts. I tried to search for you and found this but couldn't link it from my phone. aky602hc7eib.jpg
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    ashlimy wrote: »
    I think as long as your deficit is not too great you can. Make sure you are getting enough protein everyday so you are not losing muscle. You may need to eat a bit more calories on days you work out if you actually lift.
    I will look into making some diet modifications. I'm eating moderate protein now...at least 100 grams. I could probably increase that a little without much effort.

And I'll check out that group from your other post...thanks.

• MoiAussi93
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but my understanding is increasing strength and adding muscle mass are two different things. You can increase strength and limit losing muscle mass while in a deficit. But it in order to increase muscle mass you need to eat in a surplus.

When noobie gains are mentioned, it is in regards to adding muscle mass.
    So I would think you can def get stronger, but no guarantee on building your glutes. But it can't hurt to try, and even if you don't see any noob gains, you will preserve what you've got and make it stronger so it will be easier to build them once you've lost the fat!

I know there are no guarantees...I guess it really doesn't matter. I am going to do it regardless. You're right...If nothing else, I will help preserve the muscle I already have. If I manage to add a little, that is great. If not...well, at least I won't lose any. Perhaps I am over thinking this. Thanks!
  • darkbluex3
    darkbluex3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you'd be better off eating at maintenance and lifting heavier weights. You won't get a ton of definition unless you really dedicate yourself to it (trust me, I'm working hard and still look like a noodle haha). If you're just lifting 2 or 3 days a week and doing other workouts the other days, you'll get that strong but not "ripped" look that you seem to be going after.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    darkbluex3 wrote: »
    Personally, I think you'd be better off eating at maintenance and lifting heavier weights. You won't get a ton of definition unless you really dedicate yourself to it (trust me, I'm working hard and still look like a noodle haha). If you're just lifting 2 or 3 days a week and doing other workouts the other days, you'll get that strong but not "ripped" look that you seem to be going after.
    I'm still 7 pounds overweight with a BMI of 26, and I probably want to lose at least a few more pounds beyond that based on the excess fat I can still see. If I eat at maintenance, I won't lose that...or if I do it might take years. Losing the fat is much more important to me than gaining muscle. A little extra muscle would be nice, but it is not necessary. Losing the fat is necessary.