anybody else have sleeping issues on a diet?

Options
I'm not sure if its related but does anybody else experience trouble getting to sleep? Just a question as somebody mentioned it earlier and I was wondering if it's just a big coincidence :) p.s it's not because I go to bed hungry etc because I don't :) x

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's a pretty common side effect of overexercise, anorexia, maybe caffeine consumption to make up for eating less, denial.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    In my case it's the opposite - I sleep better and snore less :) (probably due to the weight loss and not the food itself though).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I've always had sleeping issues.

and cheshire's comment seems pretty on-point just based on your avatar.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    I don't overexcersise have anorexia or drink caffeine ........
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    In my case it's the opposite - I sleep better and snore less :) (probably due to the weight loss and not the food itself though).
    haha lucky you. When I do sleep I snore like an ogre :( haha x

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I am having problems going to sleep, I find that a magnesium supplement helps. Epsom salt baths are an excellent way to get magnesium, and soaking in a warm tub is a nice way to relax. This way, it's a double-whammy of drift-off-to-sleep help.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Is your goal to look like your avatar picture? Because your avatar looks to be a generic thinspo image and you've lost 34lbs since January, which is a lot considering you only have 56lbs to lose overall. Assuming you started Jan 1st, that's over 1.6lbs/week.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    When I am having problems going to sleep, I find that a magnesium supplement helps. Epsom salt baths are an excellent way to get magnesium, and soaking in a warm tub is a nice way to relax. This way, it's a double-whammy of drift-off-to-sleep help.
    thank you so much :) never tried that I will get some ... Does the Epsom salts in the bath dehydrate or are they ok? :) x

• lydiarose9419
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Is your goal to look like your avatar picture? Because your avatar looks to be a generic thinspo image and you've lost 34lbs since January, which is a lot considering you only have 56lbs to lose overall. Assuming you started Jan 1st, that's over 1.6lbs/week.
    yes it is my goal to be slim.... I don't think 1.6lbs a week is bad whatsoever. And it's not relevent to my question.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've always had sleeping (stress) issues and my diet doesn't help one way or the other.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I've always had sleeping (stress) issues and my diet doesn't help one way or the other.
    Do you know the reason why? The only thing I can think of is that when you've eaten more you feel more sleepy? :) I've also been stressed recently maybe that is the reason
    Thank you
    X

• ana3067
    Options
    yes it is my goal to be slim.... I don't think 1.6lbs a week is bad whatsoever. And it's not relevent to my question.

But is your goal to look like thinspo people? Which is generally not a very healthy ideal. So like cheshire above said, you easily could be under-eating and/or over-exercising, resulting in your sleep issues. What is your calorie intake, when did you first join/start MFP, what is your exercise regimen like? Because if this only started since January then it's very likely associated with your weight loss.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    YES! I have this same issue, but I thought it was when I exercise. I know of atlas three other people that started losing weight and then could not sleep. I swear I'm not overexercising, and I never undereat lol! I seriously don't know what it is, but it sure is annoying.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options

But is your goal to look like thinspo people? Which is generally not a very healthy ideal. So like cheshire above said, you easily could be under-eating and/or over-exercising, resulting in your sleep issues. What is your calorie intake, when did you first join/start MFP, what is your exercise regimen like? Because if this only started since January then it's very likely associated with your weight loss.

Not that it is any of your business but I like the picture as it reminds me of my body before I developed a serious illness resulting in me taking steroids for almost two years making me gain weight along with not being able to move around the place. I am recovering and dropping the pounds slowly. I do not want to be anorexic.. I have always looked after myself with a healthy lifestyle.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    zoomtech16 wrote: »
    YES! I have this same issue, but I thought it was when I exercise. I know of atlas three other people that started losing weight and then could not sleep. I swear I'm not overexercising, and I never undereat lol! I seriously don't know what it is, but it sure is annoying.
    haha I know right! And I heard that it stunts weight loss! :( I don't under eat either and I can't excercise so who knows! :) xxx

• ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

Not that it is any of your business but I like the picture as it reminds me of my body before I developed a serious illness resulting in me taking steroids for almost two years making me gain weight along with not being able to move around the place. I am recovering and dropping the pounds slowly. I do not want to be anorexic.. I have always looked after myself with a healthy lifestyle.

Considering how many users on this website have ED, disordered thinking, and are eating <1000 calories thinking that this is normal, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask, since your thinspo avatar and very quick weight loss raised some red flags. So you could very well be having issues due to not quite eating enough and not realize it, which is why providing simple information like what I asked (which is information that like.. everyone here shares openly because it's important for being able to help people when they encounter problems) is important. And unfortunately plenty of people, once told about their extreme undereating and over-exercising, completely ignore it and continue eating and exercisng that way, thinking it's perfectly acceptable and that it won't negatively affect them.

So yeah, not like I"m asking you to post nudes or share your sexual history or to tell me about when one of your relatives died. The information is relevant and could potentially help explain your issues. Without you going to get blood tests done and talking to your doctor, I (we?) can only assume that it's likely related to your dieting practices since it is a new phenomenon for you.

simply opening up your diary would be useful too, as people could see if your macronutrient breakdown is influencing your poor sleep. If you're unwilling to share something as simple as that then I'd have to wonder if there is something else going on.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    I'm not dieting though and I definitely do not have an eating disorder :(
    All I asked was if weight loss affects sleep. My weight loss comes from coming off of steroids and becoming more mobile.
    I've always eaten good healthy foods even when I was ill. I'm physically unable to exercise.
    I use this site just to track my loss and seeing some before and after pictures puts a smile on my face which I enjoy and makes me feel more positive rather than depressed about my gain.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have two jobs and I workout pretty much every day. I fall asleep on the way to bed ...
  • saralynrice
    Options
    I've always had trouble getting to sleep. I take melatonin tablets and they are amazing. Only thing that really works besides prescription meds.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble getting to sleep. I take melatonin tablets and they are amazing. Only thing that really works besides prescription meds.

I second the melatonin. I am prescribed ambien, but can only really take it if I have 12 hours between taking it and having to wake up. It just knocks me out so much. I have found that melatonin helps if I can't fall asleep. I try not to take anything though if I don't have to.

What works for me is the following:
    - not drinking anything an hour before bed (otherwise I always feel like I have to pee)
    - Keeping my bedroom a bit chilly
    -going from a hot shower to the chilly room
    - not watching TV or being on the computer/cell phone for 30 mins before bed
    - Dim lighting before bed
    - Black out curtains (I work nights so this keeps the sun out)