Is this diet/gym regime too intense? Opinions, please!

Options

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm a believer that to make change last, you need to find something sustainable. Is that a routine you can live with forever? For me, it wouldn't be at all, but for some people maybe. If not for you, it'll only set you up for disappointment. I also echo 1200 is not near enough food on that routine. Strong Curves is a good read as is New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • DrDeanChiro
    DrDeanChiro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can lose that amount of weight in that amount of time if you put your mind to it...get correct workout and diet advice...and stay consistent.

For one...you do NOT need to do abs everyday...abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym!

That amount of cardio is also waaaaaaay too much...If you want to shed body fat and gain or maintain muscle you should NOT do more than 20-30 minutes of intense cardio! Period...After 30 mins your body gets thrown into a catabolic state and says "I'm not digesting fat....this is way too much fat being burned! " So it starts to digest muscle because it refuses to burn fat.

As far as the diet goes...it's not too strict...It's just not right for what you want to do...My advice would be to up your protein, maintain carbs at no more than 125gms./per day divided into six meals comes to ...around 21 gms. per meal (in that range).

So it can be done...just not like that.

PS - I realize there are many ways to achieve a goal...but given the time and the results you want...(Muscular butt, decreased abdominal fat...toned arms...optimally healthy); it is my belief this is the best way to get there.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The food plan is ok as a base, you'll be able to make variations which stay within your calorie goals. (I'm on 1,200 but am happy to range between 1,200 to 1,500)

The training regime is far too intense for my liking, there is no need to do abs 4 times a week for 20 minutes. I would suggest you pick 3 of the works-outs he wrote up and break it up into 3-5 days per week.

For instance, do monday, wednesday and friday as provided or break them up into smaller sessions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I think you should look into some other plans to help you tone up, maybe fitness blender on youtube, live fit revolution's kettlebell workouts, Oxygen or Strong magazines for strength training workouts.

What is the calorie goal that MFP sets for you to lose .5 pound a week until you reach your goal? I would start with that or the TDEE method to see what works best for you calorie wise.

I don't think you would need to spend that much time in the gym to tone up unless you were wanting to compete in fitness or bodybuilding competitions, but I could be wrong.

I have MFP set so that I can try and lose 2 pounds/week

You only need to lose 15 pounds. 2 pounds per week is too aggressive. 1 pound at most, possibly half a pound
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    That is crazy I would never. Who has time for that

My concern was for that amount of time for someone new at this. It is fairly common for me to do 2+ hours a day on weekdays and 3-4 hours on sat/sun. Sometimes up to 6hrs
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    That is crazy I would never. Who has time for that

It's pretty much what I did both today and on Saturday, again on Thursday and Friday.

You're a beast! I wish I had that kind of energy.

Ty, but based on your goals, you probably don't need to go that hard. Based on you're experience level, you're probably not ready to go that hard. Back off the throttle a bit before you burn out.
  • PancakeSorting
    PancakeSorting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I'm also about 5'6" and at 142 right now... we have similar goals lol. And you're right, it's been tough for me to get these last few pounds off. I would ideally like to be between 120-125.... but anytime I see 130s on the scale I seem to sabotage myself lol. I also would like to add some muscle to my butt since I gain weight in my arms and stomach. I would love to get a personal trainer once I'm done with school. For now, I'll deal with muddling along on my own :\

I would see if you can do a free trial at a real gym and work with one of their trainers. If you like it, then you can either stick with that gym or see if PF has the equipment you need to translate the workouts the personal trainer at the other gym taught you. You could also try the Y for a month (they can charge you month by month or even weekly at some of them) and do a similar thing. A lot of people don't keep a personal trainer for months and months anyway, but only for a little bit until they get going on their own.

PF is great in that it is a convenient, low-cost gym, but the ones I've been to tend to be very focused on cardio with a rather limited selection for weights. But they might have everything you need to do the training a decent personal trainer recommends, you never know!

I will say that something I've learned is doing push ups is a great way to tone your arms. I don't really enjoy doing them, but I keep myself motivated by focusing on how many I can do without stopping. When I started out I could do 2 (sad, I know). Now I'm up to 40! You can definitely notice the difference and I'm sure if I could shed some of the extra weight, they would look even more toned. As for the butt... I have yet to figure out that one. Lower body strength training confuses me. :\ One day!

Good luck!! I hope we both make it to our 120s goal and get bigger butts!! lol :smile:
  • rosie272015
    rosie272015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow....2.5 hours sounds like a fast track to adrenal fatigue and elevated cortisol levels.
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2hr at gym OMG, i will end up in ER after 3days if i do that.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    uwudzn53ntaw.jpg

m085r2f9qp9a.jpg

Here are some progress pictures I took today. They hurt to look at, but I can see a difference. At least I don't have fat folds on my back anymore. It's just learning what to do from here to fix my sad butt and stomach.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 24 years old, 5'6" and weigh 141 pounds. I carry most of my weight in my tummy, arms and back and I don't have a butt. I want to change that. I met with a personal trainer at Planet Fitness (I don't like that gym, but it's close to my house so it's convenient). Anyway, the only personal trainer they have working there at the moment is very young (right out of high school) and seems a little inexperienced. He wrote up an exercise/diet plan for me to try to lose 15 pounds by summer.

It consist of being in the gym 2.5 hours a day, which seems pretty intense to me. What do you all think?

Monday: 10-15 min cardio, legs 1 hour, abs 20 minutes, 45 minutes cardio
    Tuesday: 10-15 min cardio, back/chest 1 hour, abs 20 minutes, cardio 45 minutes
    Wednesday: 10-15 min cardio, shoulders/triceps/biceps 1 hour, abs 20 minutes, cardio 45 minutes
    Thursday: 10-15 min cardio, legs 1 hour, abs 20 minutes, 45 minutes cardio
    Friday: Cardio 1 hour
    Sat & Sun: Rest

Sets: 3-4 (rest 30 sec-2 minutes)
    Reps: 15-20

He says I should be on a strict 1200 calorie diet.

Breakfast: 2 whole eggs, 1-2 whole wheat toast with peanut butter
    Snack: fruit, protein bar
    Lunch: Vegetable wrap with turkey, ham, cheese, mustard
    Snack: Fruit, Almonds
    Dinner: Vegetables with chicken or fish
    Snack: healthy fats or greek yogurt

Seems a little intense. I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I basically want to thin out and gain some definition.

Thank you for any advice!

You could lose all the cardio and the ab work, still eat over 1200 cals and be losing weight.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna harp on the amount of time you spend working out (I probably spend 2 hours or so working out myself) but I do kind of think more calories would be useful for your recovery and to fuel your progress. I personally couldn't manage to put up decent numbers eating that little
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I'm not gonna harp on the amount of time you spend working out (I probably spend 2 hours or so working out myself) but I do kind of think more calories would be useful for your recovery and to fuel your progress. I personally couldn't manage to put up decent numbers eating that little

Thanks
  • 90bulgarellu
    Options
    Sounds worse than insanity, to much exercise and not a stronhg diet I guess
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This isn't something I would give someone, but it's actually not too intense. 20 minutes of abs everyday is dumb, and a complete beginner doesn't need to spend an entire hour on one body part, but other than that, meh. If you're going to work out and do cardio on the same day, your going to spend 2 hours in the gym. Plenty of people have done that without dying.

It's entirely up to you if you want to, or can, put in that much time and effort tho. It's an individual decision and you'll get no judgement from me either way me.

1200 calorie diet is kinda dumb for that much activity tho. Either eat more or cut the workouts WAY down

This was the only reply that was actually needed.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    By your info at light exercise, 1-3 times a week TDEE whould be a little over 2000, it goes up to 2200 for moderate. I would recommend eating at 1700-2000 if you are going to workout for an hour a day. Do you do lift any weights? I would start doing some deadlifts, some squats, some lat pulldowns, and some pullups, also burpees and pushups. You want stuff that engages multiple muscle groups and works on all your little stabilizers too. Kicking is great for stomach, legs and butt too. I used to love taekwando for that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    First off, this is a "trainer" from Planet Fitness.
    Meaning:
    1. Not qualified to give nutritional advice.
    2. Not qualified to give training advice.

I'd not follow the silliness they'll throw at you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    This isn't something I would give someone, but it's actually not too intense. 20 minutes of abs everyday is dumb, and a complete beginner doesn't need to spend an entire hour on one body part, but other than that, meh. If you're going to work out and do cardio on the same day, your going to spend 2 hours in the gym. Plenty of people have done that without dying.

It's entirely up to you if you want to, or can, put in that much time and effort tho. It's an individual decision and you'll get no judgement from me either way me.

1200 calorie diet is kinda dumb for that much activity tho. Either eat more or cut the workouts WAY down

This was the only reply that was actually needed.

Except that the amount of cardio given and reps for exercises is not really consistent with her goals, especially coupled with the low calorie diet. She'll lose weight but it'll also include a lot of lean mass.

I agree the routine is the opposite of intense (intense would mean short bursts and high intensity). This is high volume but not intense.

There's nothing wrong with working out for 2 hours a day provided it's consistent with your goals. But really why would you bother doing an hour of cardio a day when you don't need to. It's boring and you could get better results training with higher intensity for a shorter duration

• caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    2.5 hours and 1200 calories is way too excessive if you only want to lose 5 pounds a month. 5 pounds a month is a deficit of 4375 calories a week. If you are doing an hour of cardio and weight lifting, you are going to burn between 400 and 500 calories at low intensity. So your daily burn will be by estimate 2400-2500 calories a day which would give you well over a 1000 calories deficit a day when you really only need 875 for 5 days or 625 for 7 days. But it sounds to me like you just want to tone up and work on the booty. If that is the case, the number on the scale should not be as much of a concern. I am 5'7" and although I have put on weight due to a back issue, I am on my way back down to 140. But my 140 is muscular, toned and a size 6-8 on the bottom (I have wide hips) and a size 4-6 on the top (boobs). I would stick to lean proteins, and good carbs. I do cardio and abs 3 days a week and weights as follows - Chest, Arms, Back & Shoulders, Legs. My weight lifting is about 45 minutes to an hour depending on availability of the equipment. I do 3 sets of 6-8 reps of heavier weight (I might get to 6 the first few times but when I can do 8 for all 3 sets, I increase the next week.) My abs take about 8-10 minutes (I have 3 intense yoga programs I use from yogadownload.com and I do one each day I do abs) and I do 30-45 minutes of cardio each day I do cardio. That equates to about an hour and 45 minutes a day for 3 of the days and 45 minutes to an hour for the other 2. But if you want to go five days a week, it times out at even less. Sometimes I add in a run on a weekend. I hope that helped you some.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Alicia, you're far from being a cow! The comments that these pictures pain you worry me. You may not be in model shape, but you're in above-average shape. I spent 1 hour, 40 minutes in the gym yesterday--I don't have a problem with long workouts, my beef's more with the calories he's allowing you and the exercise selection. I agree 20 min on abs is silly!

MyFitnessPal gives good advice on losing weight. For a reasonable and balanced strength program I'd consider Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting (Supercharged).