Do you peel your apples?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
I can't be bothered but also don't like the idea of the pesticide glaze over them. I've heard of fruit/veg cleansing products, what's a good one?

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No, the peel is the best part. I just run them under a faucet and dry with paper towel. I'm more disturbed by pests than pesticide. The possibility of some creepy crawly on my food (or in my mouth) is what prompts me to wash them.
  • katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Never..
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes I peel sometimes.... So that I can eat the skin separate.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just wash them. Sometimes I buy organic apples. I never peel them because there is good soluble fiber in the peel.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I never peel them...I like the peels. I do wash them well with water.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I only eat organic apples. I wash them under water (wipe with a cloth). That's it.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I usually wash my fruits/veggies with water and a little bit of soap sometimes.

My ex works at a nursing home as a dietary aide. I don't know if it was just a policy at that place or if it's a regulation, but they washed the fruits and vegetables for the residents. I think they used something like this: http://www.cleanwithkeystone.com/product-detail/keystone-antimicrobial-fruit-vegetable-treatment/ - If you're worried about it then I'm sure you can get something like this at a regular grocery store or on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Vegetable-Soaker-Refill-32-Ounce/dp/B001E5DZQQ
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Mech9 wrote: »
    I usually wash my fruits/veggies with water and a little bit of soap sometimes.

My ex works at a nursing home as a dietary aide. I don't know if it was just a policy at that place or if it's a regulation, but they washed the fruits and vegetables for the residents. I think they used something like this: http://www.cleanwithkeystone.com/product-detail/keystone-antimicrobial-fruit-vegetable-treatment/ - If you're worried about it then I'm sure you can get something like this at a regular grocery store or on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Vegetable-Soaker-Refill-32-Ounce/dp/B001E5DZQQ

Thanks!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I just wash them. Sometimes I buy organic apples. I never peel them because there is good soluble fiber in the peel.

Yeah, I know :/
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    if they're not organic then usually yes, that being said I really don't eat apples unless it's in the fall and I get them at the orchard. (very short time span).
    I've NEVER been a fan of the peel, usually I'll take tiny bites of the skin and spit it back out. If they're organic I force myself to eat them because it's healthy. I dunno.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i never peel 'em, i love the skin (especially in Granny Smiths!). i just give them a good washing in some vinegar-water solution.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't peel. Don't wash them either. Very rarely wash anything (myself excluded). I don't live a totally sanitised lifestyle. I seem to have a great immune system so maybe that's why.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    jouttie wrote: »
    Don't peel. Don't wash them either. Very rarely wash anything (myself excluded). I don't live a totally sanitised lifestyle. I seem to have a great immune system so maybe that's why.

The smell of the pesticide doesn't bother you?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    i never peel 'em, i love the skin (especially in Granny Smiths!). i just give them a good washing in some vinegar-water solution.

• jouttie
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I cannot smell any pesticide so nope! Maybe I don't have the best sense of smell either ;-)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I cannot smell any pesticide so nope! Maybe I don't have the best sense of smell either ;-)

Lol, maybe that's a blessing, if it's true :)
  • jouttie
    Options
    Bought a 1.5kg bag of little apples yesterday for about €1.50, loads in there. I'll be eating them for days. I love little red apples. Got a serious craving for them when I was pregnant - my daughter is 16 now and I still love them! Didn't wash them when I was pregnant either and it doesn't appear to have harmed my daughter.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I just rinse them under the tap
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No. I wash them with a soap usually. Sometimes just water.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I only buy organic apples and I have a really cool fruit and veggie wash cloth that I got from Norwex. I love it!!