Are you a start a diet right now type person? or start on a Monday type person?

Options
What is everyones opinions and views on this..
Would you rather start a diet IMMEDIATELY or think it's better to start at the start of a new week, like a Monday.

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Im monday person im just so perfectionist it sucks though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a never having to ever diet again type of person because I've got this down now :yay:

But when I started .. I just went for it .. at 10.30 at night.. that was it

Previously I've been a start on Monday, let's just finish this food then start, if I count backwards from that event then I can start on this date, one day I'll get round to it, meh kind of person .. yeah that worked
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    What is everyones opinions and views on this..
    Would you rather start a diet IMMEDIATELY or think it's better to start at the start of a new week, like a Monday.

I am a "this is not a diet but a lifestyle change" type person.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel that for me "I'll start on Monday" is a bit of a cop-out. If you're serious, start now as it should be a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'. You see a lot of people with the 'I'll start tomorrow/Monday/ next month/January 1st' see it as license to have a last hurrah and overeat until then, since they'll be starting fresh on Monday. Some people lose resolve towards the end of the week and do this every week and get nowhere! Ok I've totally done this myself, but have found much greater success since I realised that if I really want this it has to be a NOW thing. If I screw up I have to forgive myself and move on, starting now.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You gotta live in the moment because tomorrow never comes!
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm in way too deep now, so it 's more of a plan months ahead of time type deal. It's like hitting the snooze button over and over again.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am both (kinda). I decided to start on the 5th of january (a monday) with eating better and i did.
    Since then i have had bad days and then i just log it and start again the next day.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    There is a part of me that likes the idea of a fresh start (start on Monday). But I also believe that is simply a way of putting it off. So, I choose to start now. That's my beef with New Years Resolutions. If it's important to you… you'll just do it now. Waiting until New Years is just a way putting it off… meaning that it's not that important to you.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No time like the present. I spent a good part of my life putting off what needed to be done today for "tomorrow", or "Monday". You know, let "future me" deal with present me's problems.
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A wise man once said. "Never do today what can be put off until tomorrow"
  • misheri90
    misheri90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Start the next day type of person, though in reality only start if I focus on a very specific goal in my diet rather than the whole.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not start a diet. I'd rather just eat what I normally eat and adjust here and there to fit it in my calories.
    When I found MFP, I started logging food the next day... I think it was a Wednesday in mid-October. I don't get setting a date or waiting to make changes unless you have to consult your doctor first.
  • jaceytr0n
    jaceytr0n Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always feel like the sooner I start the sooner I'll be "done". So I like to do whatever I can towards my goal as soon as I decide it's a goal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I started on New Year's Day this time and it's stuck. But I would do either option before for about a day or two before giving up. Fourteen months later, I finally know what's right for me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am a try your best every day kind of person. Some days I do great. Some days I do less well. Putting of till monday just gives you the excuse to settle and accept your poor choices until monday (however far away that happens to be), that mindset will get you nowhere.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm a certain date person. I need to be mentally ready. Now, if at the moment I decide I'm ready I can start then. It just typically takes me a few days to get into the mindset.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I have food that doesn't work with whatever my plan is, I'll eat it and start as soon as I've finished. I don't throw away perfectly edible food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a start yesterday kinda person.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm a definitely start today person, like right now. Monday is not magic and it won't be any easier.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    According to MFP, I started logging my food at dinnertime on a Thursday in the middle of December, so I guess that answers that question.

Why? Because I had made the decision, and I am not a patient person.