Cookie/Treat problems

Options
Do you think I burned 50 calories during 45minutes of weight lifting? I've planned a cookie for tonight that have put me that much over my goal. I logged cardio but I normally don't log weight lifting because I know it doesn't burn a lot of calories.

Also, my trainer is having a heart attack because every night I eat a treat (cookie, piece of chocolate, ice cream ect) right before going to sleep, like while laying in bed. He says it turns to fat because I'm sleeping. But I can't eat it at an earlier time of the day because then I start craving it later and don't stick to moderation. Opinions? Solutions?

(Add: don't tell me to get a new trainer, there's nobody else here who wouldn't put me on a juice diet or something. Small town, only 1 gym.)

Replies

• mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity, rest between sets etc. Very difficult to accurately count calories for weight lifting.

However, don't worry about eating at the end of the night- it is no more likely to turn to fat than eating it at any other time of the day. All that really matters is your overall deficit.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    you trainer is there to help you, they don't make the decisions for you. If having a small treat at night helps you to avoid binging throughout the day I say that is a good little trick and you should stick to it as long as your logging it and it fits your daily goals.

As far as the calorie burn for weight lifting there is no sure way to measure the calorie burn as heart rate monitors are more for steady state activity. However the truth is that if you are lifting correctly with minimal rest periods you are likely burning more calories lifting weights then you are when doing cardio. If you feel like that is not true for you personally you could likely raise the intensity of your strength training sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZVjoXfszLI (just an example video I quickly goggled.)

Either way, eat the cookie and go to bed. Just keep working hard like you are.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    here is some more. Not experts but just some more advice and things to think about or talk with your trainer about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJFFsCM4fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjp2OrVgvw
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cookies are ace, so I've invested in some stevia based baking sweetener this morning.

Best of both worlds, and all that.....

;=)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    here is some more. Not experts but just some more advice and things to think about or talk with your trainer about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJFFsCM4fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjp2OrVgvw

Thank you, although I think he's reaction to them will be the same one I had towards him when he told me that 1 cookie will turn to fat at night.

My reaction?

Stare........"Yeah right, bro science."
  • Leana088
    Options
    Cookies are ace, so I've invested in some stevia based baking sweetener this morning.

Best of both worlds, and all that.....

;=)

Yum. But I just buy mine at the moment. I'm new to the moderation thing. I could never do it with treats, I just figured this little trick out a month ago. A little longer and maybe I'll start baking for myself again if I can keep it up. :wink:
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that you can eat the treat daily if it fits in your calorie count. Just be sure to be honest with yourself about why you eat it. If you are hanging onto an old habit that is currently restrained, but that could lead to a binge if you get upset, frustrated, etc., then you might need to reevaluate the behavior.
  • Leana088
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mabug01 wrote: »
    I agree with other posters that you can eat the treat daily if it fits in your calorie count. Just be sure to be honest with yourself about why you eat it. If you are hanging onto an old habit that is currently restrained, but that could lead to a binge if you get upset, frustrated, etc., then you might need to reevaluate the behavior.

It is an old habit. I always use to just buy a whole block of chocolate and eat the whole thing in one go. Like I said I'm new to moderation.

And I do usually eat sweet stuff when I'm upset. But I'm not someone that feels guilty over it afterwards, I admit to myself that I'm eating it to make myself feel better (and it does), and I just balance the calories out over the rest of the week.

Edit to add : I do have a sweet tooth which is another reason I eat it. I've been eating it since being a child, so for me, it's a part of my past and present life I don't want to just let go of.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand all of that; it is an old habit for me, too. I would make a run to Walgreens and buy a candy bar when I was upset or just craving something sweet, or for any other reason, if I'm honest about it. My friend challenged me to rethink this, and I'm glad I did. She told me to buy the ghirardelli 72% chocolate squares and use them when I had the sweet craving. They are sweet and chocolate-y, but, honestly, not very good because of being slightly bitter. Therefore, I can eat 1 or 2 50-calorie squares and not crave them at all. Now when I think about stopping to buy a candy bar, I remind myself I already have chocolate at home, so I don't need to stop. I'm not suggesting this will work for you in the exact way it does for me; it's just an example of tweeking a habit just a little bit to make it more in line with living a healthier lifestyle. I am just concerned that this behavior might be a mini-rebellion and could at some point derail your efforts. That being said, I believe you should, for sure, continue it as long as it works for you. We all need to personalize our diets in ways that make it work for us. Just realize you can make a different decision if it becomes necessary. You're doing great right now and I admire your tenacity and creativity in making changes to your life, as well as your courage to post about your habits.

BTW, just a thought about your trainer. Trainers do their best to help us but I personally don't appreciate the "you can't do that" attitude because it's too parent-like. That turns me into a rebellious imp.
  • Leana088
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mabug01 wrote: »
    I certainly understand all of that; it is an old habit for me, too. I would make a run to Walgreens and buy a candy bar when I was upset or just craving something sweet, or for any other reason, if I'm honest about it. My friend challenged me to rethink this, and I'm glad I did. She told me to buy the ghirardelli 72% chocolate squares and use them when I had the sweet craving. They are sweet and chocolate-y, but, honestly, not very good because of being slightly bitter. Therefore, I can eat 1 or 2 50-calorie squares and not crave them at all. Now when I think about stopping to buy a candy bar, I remind myself I already have chocolate at home, so I don't need to stop. I'm not suggesting this will work for you in the exact way it does for me; it's just an example of tweeking a habit just a little bit to make it more in line with living a healthier lifestyle. I am just concerned that this behavior might be a mini-rebellion and could at some point derail your efforts. That being said, I believe you should, for sure, continue it as long as it works for you. We all need to personalize our diets in ways that make it work for us. Just realize you can make a different decision if it becomes necessary. You're doing great right now and I admire your tenacity and creativity in making changes to your life, as well as your courage to post about your habits.

BTW, just a thought about your trainer. Trainers do their best to help us but I personally don't appreciate the "you can't do that" attitude because it's too parent-like. That turns me into a rebellious imp.

I have changed my view on sweets. Instead of seeing it as something "naughty" I started thinking of it as a normal snack. I started placing it in the same category as an apple, or a yoghurt, or anything else I would snack on between meals. This has really helped me tremendously with eating it in moderation because it doesn't bother me. It does still make me feel better when I'm upset though. But that's a "controlled binge". I usually plan for it.

Yeah, about my trainer. I think next time he asks about it I'll just tell him I've stopped eating it or something. I'll make up an excuse.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find a new trainer. that one sounds like an idiot. at least when it comes to actual science, hes an idiot.

i have a treat every night just about, and if its a cookie, its in bed with my milk (its actually been awhile since ive done that, but i do still regularly have treats at night and go to bed early). and im consistently losing weight.

its not what or when you eat, its how much you eat and how much you burn. cico.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to need a sweet every night and I lost weight just fine while doing that. Now after a year doing MFP I'm finally getting to the point where it's not hard for me to skip it. I still totally have a sweet every day, but it's not usually at night and it's just something small. The trick that has worked for me is to get small, individually wrapped goodies. I love snickers so I get the fun size ones. Since they're individually wrapped, I'm less tempted to just grab one without thinking. The Ghiradhelli squares are a good suggestion too. Not a ton of calories in one and they're so delicious that one is satisfying.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat the cookie. There is a place under cardio to log strength training (overestimated so only eat back half to be safe).
    Also, cough* I'd tell your trainer to back off. I have a treat daily and will continue to, as I believe over restricting or deprivation, would lead to me ultimately failing at this change in life. I continue now as I plan to carry on in the future.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Do you think I burned 50 calories during 45minutes of weight lifting? I've planned a cookie for tonight that have put me that much over my goal. I logged cardio but I normally don't log weight lifting because I know it doesn't burn a lot of calories.

Also, my trainer is having a heart attack because every night I eat a treat (cookie, piece of chocolate, ice cream ect) right before going to sleep, like while laying in bed. He says it turns to fat because I'm sleeping. But I can't eat it at an earlier time of the day because then I start craving it later and don't stick to moderation. Opinions? Solutions?

(Add: don't tell me to get a new trainer, there's nobody else here who wouldn't put me on a juice diet or something. Small town, only 1 gym.)

That's just crazytalk! If that cookie or treat or whatever helps to prevent you from over-doing it during the day then I think it's great - as long as it's properly weighed/measured and logged and fit's into your calories

Unless you have some digestive issues, it doesn't matter what time of day you decide to eat that cookie.

I have a treat every night (under 150 calories) after I do pilates. I feel like having it really stops me from binging or having 'cheat days'.

• Leana088
    Options

I have a treat every night (under 150 calories) after I do pilates. I feel like having it really stops me from binging or having 'cheat days'.

I still have "cheat" days. Although mine is not the typical one most people would be thinking of now. It's a "cheat on nutrition" day.

Usually Saturday, I eat a lot of carbs. Pizza, bread, burgers ect. They are high in calories, which means I will probably still balance the calories that day, but I never hit my protein or fat goals on that day.

It's not a real cheat. I just view it as an "off" day where I don't worry too much about hitting macros. It balances out anyway. I'm always under on carbs (unintentionally) during the week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I still have "cheat" days. Although mine is not the typical one most people would be thinking of now. It's a "cheat on nutrition" day.

Usually Saturday, I eat a lot of carbs. Pizza, bread, burgers ect. They are high in calories, which means I will probably still balance the calories that day, but I never hit my protein or fat goals on that day.

It's not a real cheat. I just view it as an "off" day where I don't worry too much about hitting macros. It balances out anyway. I'm always under on carbs (unintentionally) during the week.

There is nothing wrong with Pizza, bread or burgers.
  • Leana088
    Options
    kimtober wrote: »
    I used to need a sweet every night and I lost weight just fine while doing that. Now after a year doing MFP I'm finally getting to the point where it's not hard for me to skip it. I still totally have a sweet every day, but it's not usually at night and it's just something small. The trick that has worked for me is to get small, individually wrapped goodies. I love snickers so I get the fun size ones. Since they're individually wrapped, I'm less tempted to just grab one without thinking. The Ghiradhelli squares are a good suggestion too. Not a ton of calories in one and they're so delicious that one is satisfying.

I will also hopefully get to this stage one day. Like I said I've only been doing the moderation thing for about a month now. It's getting easier.

I just want to skip the cravings I have after eating a treat that's why I opted for eating them before sleep time. I don't have a strong willpower when it comes to cravings. Sad but true. This way I still get to have my cake and eat it too.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with Pizza, bread or burgers.

Agree ! :D
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would guess that yes, 45 minutes of strength training would burn 50 calories.

And your trainer sounds like an idiot.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I suspect 45 min of weight lifting did cover a 50 cal overage, but I wouldn't know how to quantify it.

If your treat is important to you, maybe pre-log it into your diary first, then plan all your other eating to fit into what's left.

Also, if you are over by 50 calories one day, you can make up for it by eating 50 less the next day. It all averages out.