No motivation

Options
i just can't seem to find my motivation. It gets harder every day. I know what I should do , but, can't seem to stay on track. My diet it reasonably healthy, although I have now halved my portions, exercise is so hard, I find a dam good excuse each time. I feel a failure and disappointed in myself. Now I may have diabetes (waiting on results) why is it so hard to something for myself?

Replies

• chubbiepanda28
    Options
    Hang in there! Start with some small exercises and work it into your routine. Then once it's a part of your routine increase intensity gradually. Or meet up with a girlfriend or family member and go for a walk. They also have a lot of cool events that include fitness on meet up. So meet some people and have fun!
  • CenteredOne
    CenteredOne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out the meditation by thich nhat hanh on Oprah. Whenever you feel negative think of something you are thankful for. Start with basic stuff, like body parts such as your eyes working, your ears hearing, your heart beating. Be thankful for your bed, for hot running water, for food in fridge, for owning a car, or a bike or being able to walk...Start small, close in. Do 'belly breathing.' Simply breath down deep into your lower addomen and do this at least three times in a row. Walk or swim even for 1 minute at a time. Start small. Instead of noticing and giving attention to what you aren't doing, pay attention equally if not more to what you ARE doing. Write down your successes. Like: Today I got out of bed. Today I went on My Fitness Pal Website.
    This is advice given by me who is 57, is on disability for severe, chronic depression not helped by meds, who is living with literally 0 money in any bank accounts and less than $1.00 in my purse, who has chronic pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and severe motivation problems! Oh, also, check out free youtube meditations by John Kabat Zinn (Body Scan) and Bellruth Naperstack (on depression.)
    All the best to you. I live every day with the issues you have and totally sympathize!
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Check out the meditation by thich nhat hanh on Oprah. Whenever you feel negative think of something you are thankful for. Start with basic stuff, like body parts such as your eyes working, your ears hearing, your heart beating. Be thankful for your bed, for hot running water, for food in fridge, for owning a car, or a bike or being able to walk...Start small, close in. Do 'belly breathing.' Simply breath down deep into your lower addomen and do this at least three times in a row. Walk or swim even for 1 minute at a time. Start small. Instead of noticing and giving attention to what you aren't doing, pay attention equally if not more to what you ARE doing. Write down your successes. Like: Today I got out of bed. Today I went on My Fitness Pal Website.
    This is advice given by me who is 57, is on disability for severe, chronic depression not helped by meds, who is living with literally 0 money in any bank accounts and less than $1.00 in my purse, who has chronic pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and severe motivation problems! Oh, also, check out free youtube meditations by John Kabat Zinn (Body Scan) and Bellruth Naperstack (on depression.)
    All the best to you. I live every day with the issues you have and totally sympathize!

Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I needed to read this morning.

• margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i just can't seem to find my motivation. It gets harder every day. I know what I should do , but, can't seem to stay on track. My diet it reasonably healthy, although I have now halved my portions, exercise is so hard, I find a dam good excuse each time. I feel a failure and disappointed in myself. Now I may have diabetes (waiting on results) why is it so hard to something for myself?

You are not saying NO enough to your brain!
    Train your brain! When it thinks crazy! Say NO,
    Repeat NO often out loud!
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    motivation is fleeting. I have to rely on determination and tenacity. I'm also not really motivated to scrub the toilet, vacuum, grocery shop or sit down to pay my bills, but I have to. It's just part of life. Once I gave myself no choice, it became easier. It's also easier when you do activity you enjoy, and eat food you love.