Breaking a habit

Options
2»

Replies

• drgd05
    Options
    I love pizza!! Have you tried making cauliflower pizza crust. Easy to google the recipe. I just load mine with veggies and go easy on sauce and cheese.
  • shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Its not all or none. Use MFP to track your BMR, TDEE and calorie intake. Junk food is junk food. Eventually you will need to eat better. However, I believe if you satiate your cravings once in a while (in fact schedule a cheat meal/day even if you think it is unnecessary) it would make you follow a healthier lifestyle more easily.
    And yes, if you adopt portion control, you will achieve the calorie deficit to lose the weight. Theoretically a calorie is a calorie but some foods just keep you full longer with less (clean eating). Try to incorporate a soup/ salad with your junk meals. Eat that first. That way, you will get to enjoy the food that you like, savour it and feel satiated too without blowing out your calorie budget completely.
    Cheers!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was using MFP for a good 6 months before I found these posts so it is a bit of a personal mission of mine to pass them on to other people who are just starting.

My standard suggestion/tip is to do some reading and buy a kitchen scale!!!
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Some of these links will show up in the other Groups and discussions.
    There are lots of other good groups and discussions with really good information and some with a more Social aspect.

@blankiefinder‌ She Nailed it when it comes to Logging accurately and selecting food from the search feature.
    By the way, if I haven't found an entry that lists the grams, I keep looking for a different entry. This [ Enter Food ] item is already listed a bunch of times. Better to edit and correct one that is already there than add to the database mess that exists now. :)

When creating or editing a Food item from the existing database my Personal Bias is to enter the nutritional values based on grams ( 100 gm ) as it makes the portion size math easy, especially when you use a scale and WEIGH EVERYTHING. Don't log 2 tablespoons as it is a subjective number, where 32 gm. is very concise. You will be surprised how small some portions look when you start to weigh them out.
    Re-train/calibrate your mind as to what a portion size is.
    For Nutritional values start with the values from the product label and confirm it with the un-biased nutritional information from the USDA web site at 100 gm.
  • katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    katab2014 wrote: »
    I don't know about the UK but in Australia McDonald's now shows the calorie/fat etc content and actually they DO have healthy meals. there's a red tick system on food called Heart Healthy and Maccas do have some red ticks...not for a double Mac but a grilled chicken wrap, grilled fish, salads. Basically if your friends went in there you could have a skinny shake, grilled chicken wrap, salad and fruit pieces and not feel left out...

Do you really trust them ? They probably pick all the leftovers from the floor and put it in your burger. The fun part is that you never know what u have in your burger ....dog tail ? snout ? hoof ? ...you never know...mmm tasty isn't it ?

Well, the burgers don't have the Heart Healthy tick and you can google the health report ( food inspector) for individual branches.....I haven't had a Maccas since I came back to England and it wouldn't be my first choice...I guess the point I was trying to make is that you can make good choices even in such a place...
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im_Johnny wrote: »
    For me when I've gone on a diet it's usually been straight forward, no more fatty foods and eat salad and fruits. I'm the past that has worked for me but it was only a diet, and not a true change of habit so I went back to fatty foods and gained more.

I simply enjoy Pizza, Fried Chicken and Burgers.
    Apples are cool and all, but they don't satisfy me the way a steak does.

Is it possible for me to simply enjoy the foods I like and cut down the portions?
    Would it be ok for me to stick to a 2000 calorie diet and still eat pizza?

I don't know why I feel like I have to replace these things with salads.
    All I want to do is lose weight and enjoy my life.

You don't break bad habits, you replace them. A habit is made up of three components the cue, the activity and the reward. What you need to do is replace the activity. I have a cue of sitting on the couch, watching TV. My habit was to eat a large bag of chips and maybe a Caramilk bar as well. My reward was the feeling I had after eating. Now, when I have the cue of watching TV, I sit on my recumbent bike and pedal. If I still have the craving for something tasty - I drink zero calorie flavored water. Then my reward is feeling good about working out rather than having a belly full of poison.

At meal time, you can still enjoy pizza, fried chicken and burgers - just don't do it every day. Eat those foods only once or twice a week. Replace those foods daily with a healthier option. My co-workers and I have a tradition of going to Fatburger for lunch every Friday. I used to order a wonderful burger every week with fries but, that was helping to make me unhealthy. I have replaced that with the Cajun Chicken Salad and have done that for 8 weeks in a row. The chicken on the salad tastes great and fills me up with protein. Honestly, that salad is probably one of the best restaurant salads you will ever eat. Big, filling and delicious.

Sure, I have a burger and pizza every once in a while but, most meals are from the healthy side of the menu. Indulge once or twice a week, just not every day. Eventually, you will stop craving the unhealthy stuff as eating well becomes a habit. I really love my salads and stir fry meals - I don't even care if the guy beside me is eating a burger and fries. I have built a habit. Building a new habit is hard at the beginning, you have to be a little radical but, every day it gets easier to continue until one day, you do it automatically!

Hope my ranting helps a little. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are so inclined. :-)

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your calories, and you should be able to fit just about anything into a weight-loss diet. Be careful, though. Look it up first. My husband brought home a chicken-bacon-ranch stuffed pizza last weekend, family size. We cut it into 8 pieces and I ate one. Then I looked it up, and that one piece was 740 calories, a little more than half of my calories for the average day. Luckily I had gone for a long walk with the dog earlier that day, so I had extra calories.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    that is why MFP is so great. you can work your favorite foods in to the program. as others have said you have to track everything you are eating to the best of your ability. Since MFP even lists the nutrition counts for fast foods you can see where you are doing damage. MFP will also tell you what your daily target calorie goal should be depending on your statistics and how much you want to lose per week.
    2000 calories a day sounds too high to me to be losing weight. but I don't know what your activity level is or your other stats.
    My daily calorie goal is 1280 to lose 2 lbs per week and I am not very active.
    I agree with having a salad along with the pizza. get the salad dressing on the side. An old weight watcher's tip - dip your fork in the salad dressing and then the get salad instead of pouring dressing all over.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything to lose weight, you just need to eat less. Caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • katab2014
    Options
    I like Ogopogo's reply...replace your habits. So simple, so obvious. Yet never though of it in that way before. Thanks
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Johnny, I thought I wrote that post myself. That is me exactly. I love to eat, I just hate being unhealthy. I am trying to find that balance myself. You cant live on carrots and celery. I want to enjoy life, not be miserable. That being said, I dont want to be older and in terrible health either. Moderation may be the key but it is so much easier said than done. Maybe it is easy for some people on here, maybe they just have great discipline, I know for me it is a struggle. Good luck brother. I'm right there with you.
  • katab2014
    Options
    For me it is sometimes a huge struggle! I think people that say it's not a problem are kidding themselves ...hee hee....or don't need this app....