What diet plan works best for you?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Jerky (I make my own....easy and cheap!)

How do you make your jerky? I want to start because I love jerky but hate how salty commercial jerky is. I don't have to watch my sodium closely, I just hate salty foods (well, except popcorn. Sometimes I just HAVE to have a big bowl of buttery, salty popcorn). Links to recipes and/or instructions would be helpful or feel free to PM me if you don't want to derail the thread. Thank you!!!!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't do diets. I just eat food that I like and that fits my macros, so I can maintain a healthy balance. 70 pounds down so far.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No diets here - I just aim to eat the right amount of cals each day, getting as close as possible to my macro targets as well. Knowing my BMR and my TDEE and eating between those numbers has been very freeing and effective.

This allows for events like weddings, birthday parties, holidays and vacations, along with favorite foods like pizza, burgers, desserts, cocktails/wine/beer on a regular basis, with no guilt or anxiety over falling off any imaginary wagons - I know my limits and stay within them most of the time, but I also know that going over once in awhile isn't going to ruin anything, either. It's part of enjoying life with a healthy lifestyle, and it's sustainable - I'm in this forever!
  • chattyabbey
    chattyabbey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Taking personal responsibility, everything that goes in my mouth is put there by me, I have the choice as to what I eat.

When I finally accepted this, and took ownership of the responsibility it totally changed my perspective for the better.

• fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to calories, but eat higher protein and do weight training. The magic trick for me that finally clicked was eliminating most carbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Weighing/measuring foods. Calorie counting.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Not so much a diet plan as a different eating pattern - 5:2, where you eat at maintenance 5 days a weeks and have 2 very low calorie days to create a small weekely deficit.
    Didn't have to change what I ate or exclude anything and found it far easier than trying to maintain a daily calorie deficit.

Been maintaining with a 6:1 eating pattern for quite some time now - 1 very low calorie day and 6 days at a small surplus give me a calorie balance over the course of a week.

@Sijomial why did you move from 5:2 to 6:1? Any particular reason.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ketogenic combined with calorie counting. its the only thing thats worked for me.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day to make sure I'm getting somewhere close to my ideal macros and staying within a reasonable range of my calories. I rearrange things to make sure I get a treat because I know I'll go crazy if I don't have one (could be as simple as a square of dark chocolate or as decadent as a huge Belgian hot chocolate). I try to make sure I get plenty of protein and fresh veggies, but otherwise there's no real diet plan. I've also learned to listen to my body - if something makes me feel sluggish or gross after I eat it, I just don't eat it anymore. And most mornings I fast until almost lunch time, but that's primarily because my calories are pretty low and if I eat too early in the morning I'm ravenous the rest of the day.
  • shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @Justcat206 How low is your calorie that you need to be fasting till lunch? I was initially doing a crazy 1200 plan. I felt sick to be honest. Once I calculated my BMR and TDEE things became so much simpler.
  • shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 Processed food to me are all of the things you would find in the inner sections of the grocery stores. Jams, cookies, chips, etc. I do lack the skills to bake bread or make pasta, so I do buy them after reading the labels carefully.
    I prepare my food 90% of the time from scratch. Don't like eating things, when I don't know what can be in there. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me? A mediterranean style diet that essentially looks a lot like South Beach Diet phase 2-3. I very much limit heavily refined carbs (probably what the folks above call "crap"), and I try to build my diet around nutrient dense foods.
    Did that while losing, been doing it for 14 years while maintaining.

So, yeah, I'm on a low crap diet. :p
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i personally find that having close to even amount of protein and carbs has helped me feel much better and shed some inches
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No Diet™.

Counting calories and macronutrients.

Setting realistic goals.

Taking personal responsibility, everything that goes in my mouth is put there by me, I have the choice as to what I eat.

No deprivation of food groups.

Realising food is food, "junk/healthy/bad/good/fattening/processed" are all relative terms, and that with a bit of thought anything can be fit in to a balanced diet.

^This plan. My overall "diet" is gluten free (I have celiac disease) and vegetarian (by preference), but within those parameters, I eat food I enjoy. I tend to enjoy food most people would consider "healthy", though. I'm of the mindset that no food is off the table in the context of an overall good diet that is full of the otherwise nutritionally dense food that I usually eat.

• RavenousRachel
    Options
    Very low carb (30-50g/day) and moderate calorie restriction (20% down from maintenance) is working beautifully for me. And I have gotten very good at faking high carb recipes using cauliflower or turnips. Turnip gratin, a nice steak, sauteed spinach, and hollandaise sauce is a typical "diet dinner." I'm down 15lbs since Jan 1! And cauliflower cheese & garlic "breadsticks" are phenomenal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    No Diet™.

Counting calories and macronutrients.

Setting realistic goals.

No deprivation of food groups.

Realising food is food, "junk/healthy/bad/good/fattening/processed" are all relative terms, and that with a bit of thought anything can be fit in to a balanced diet.

Which is, of course, a diet.
  • runner475
    Options
    I eat low to moderate carb diet and mostly 80% nutrient dense and 20% treats. You'll see me wandering in the outer section of grocery store.

Right now because I'm off season not training I follow TDEE method . Once the training starts I'll be switching to MFP method.

1 have lost 123 pounds with this lifestyle though now I have stopped losing pounds and instead lost 2 pant sizes and down one T-shirt size while hovering over same weight range.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I eat low to moderate carb diet and mostly 80% nutrient dense and 20% treats. You'll see me wandering in the outer section of grocery store.

Right now because I'm off season not training I follow TDEE method . Once the training starts I'll be switching to MFP method.

1 have lost 123 pounds with this lifestyle though now I have stopped losing pounds and instead lost 2 pant sizes and down one T-shirt size while hovering over same weight range.

This is me as well: I'm a perimeter shopper for sure.
  • runner475
    Options

;-) COOL!!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Same here. I think the only interior aisle food products in my own diet are frozen fruit, dried beans, almond butter, veggie broth (too lazy to make my own), bean pasta, and canned tomatoes and pumpkin. The kids and husband have a few more things from the inner aisles in their diets like bread, cereal, and crackers.