Exercise Schedule & Rest Days/Active Recovery

Options
There's so much conflicting information out there, I'm confused about what I should be doing. Don't do cardio and strength on the same day, do strength at least 3x a week but not back to back, do 150 minutes+ of cardio a week, be sure to include rest days... I think I need more days in my week, haha.

Right now, here is my schedule:
Mon - Aqua Zumba (45 min low-mod intensity water aerobics)
Tues - strength training (resistance bands, dumbells, bodyweight)
Wed - Water Bootcamp (45-60 min mod-high intensity water aerobics - I need to bring my inhaler to the pool, so probably on the "high" side)
Thurs - strength training
Fri - Les Mills Combat (30-45 min, mod-high intensity kickboxing type cardio)
Sat - Aqua Zumba (45 min low-mod intensity) & Water Kettlebells (starting next week, supposed to be more strength-focused than cardio)
Sun - strength training

My #1 goal is weight loss, #2 muscle retention during my loss - I'm about 8 lbs in, 92 lbs to go. You'll see I don't have a rest day incorporated, though I think the Aqua Zumba might be more active recovery than "real" cardio... I'm waiting on a water resistant heart rate monitor to come in the mail so I can get a better read on what intensity I'm hitting those water classes at, but I know for the Les Mills Combat I'm operating at 75-85% max heart rate for the majority of it, and the perceived exertion on that Weds night Water Bootcamp class is the same or higher. Also, the Water Bootcamp has a fair amount of strength exercises in it, and the Water Kettlebells is strength-based, so should I scale back my 3x strength training on land? Or keep all 3, as water exercise isn't weight bearing and so doesn't strengthen the bones?

I wanted to try to work in another Les Mills Combat session weekly, but I just don't see where I would do that. I want to be sure I'm not overtaxing myself as well - don't want to flare brightly and fizzle out!! Any input on how I could optimize my schedule would be very welcome. Do I need a solid REST day (or 2?) The water classes are scheduled gym classes so are firm on those days, but the strength and Les Mills Combat are things I do at home so I can shift those around. Should I be doing strength training on the Aqua Zumba days maybe? ACK. I just want someone to create a schedule for me so I can just go down the list and check it off, haha. :)

Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You've said you don't count the aqua zumba as "taxing" on your body, I wouldn't incorporate another workout in there, you need to have at LEAST one rest day (if zumba isn't taxing this can be counted as a rest day) a week or else you will crash out eventually.

I've always preferred five days a week with two rest days as I injured my elbow badly from training 6 days a week (it tooks months for this to happen and I kept going when I started feeling pains), if you are doing something six days a week listen to your body, if you need a few days off don't continue or you might end up hurting yourself!

Good luck! :)
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I say the biggest thing is listen to your body. I don't usually have a "rest" day. I do an active recovery like hiking or something on days where I'm less intense. IF you feel like you are able to add more, do so, but slowly. But listen to your own body - not what is "normal"
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Where's your rest day? You should have one rest day. IMO, for those out there about to jump all over me.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Where's your rest day? You should have one rest day. IMO, for those out there about to jump all over me.
    That's my problem, is how to incorporate a rest day but not lose anything... I kind of view Aqua Zumba as "active recovery" (is that the same as "rest"?) because it's mostly just sort of bobbing around in the water - probably a similar level of exertion to walking at a 2-3 mph pace, and I've seen lots of posts in threads that advise walking 4 mph on "rest days".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    elleykat wrote: »
    There's so much conflicting information out there, I'm confused about what I should be doing. Don't do cardio and strength on the same day, do strength at least 3x a week but not back to back, do 150 minutes+ of cardio a week, be sure to include rest days... I think I need more days in my week, haha.

Right now, here is my schedule:
    Mon - Aqua Zumba (45 min low-mod intensity water aerobics)
    Tues - strength training (resistance bands, dumbells, bodyweight)
    Wed - Water Bootcamp (45-60 min mod-high intensity water aerobics - I need to bring my inhaler to the pool, so probably on the "high" side)
    Thurs - strength training
    Fri - Les Mills Combat (30-45 min, mod-high intensity kickboxing type cardio)
    Sat - Aqua Zumba (45 min low-mod intensity) & Water Kettlebells (starting next week, supposed to be more strength-focused than cardio)
    Sun - strength training

A lot depends on your fitness goals. For example, someone wanting to maximize strength gains and optimize their lifting session wouldn't want to do a whole bunch of cardio on the same day...if you did it before your session you would be zapped and unable to get 100% out of your lifts...you could do it afterwards, but again, that cardio session would be less than optimal.

I do cardio and lift on the same day, but I have hours between sessions in that I generally do my riding in the AM on lifting days and I lift in the PM...I have plenty of rest as well as nutrition between sessions to hit both pretty hard.

In RE to back to back resistance work...you don't want to work the same muscles or groups of muscles back to back...the benefits of lifting come with resting those muscles and if you're working them back to back you're not getting the benefit of rest. There are basically two general types of program...split programming and full body programming (there's some other stuff too, but we'll keep it simple). A split is typically done 4 days per week and sometimes 5..."split" refers to splitting up the muscle groups in your work...so you might do upper body on Monday and do legs on Tuesday, rest and/or cardio on Wednesday and do upper body on Thursday and legs again on Friday.

A full body routine is usually done 3x weekly on non consecutive days as this type of program hits everything in one workout.

In RE to rest days, it's important to listen to your body...beyond that, the more rigorous your efforts are the more important a rest day or two is, even if you're feeling pretty good. There's nothing suckier than feeling good and just going out and doing your thing and then ending up having to take 9-12 weeks off to rehab...ask me how I know. At the same time, I was also training pretty hard when this happened in that I was doing a heavy progressive full body program combined with a triathlon training schedule and squeezing in some cyclocross...it was a recipe for disaster. Now. I take 1 rest day per week and usually 2 rest days every 2 - 3 weeks depending and I don't train multiple sports simultaneously anymore.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If the aqua zumba isn't that intense which you've stated, I would just count that as a "fun" day of movement, and in MY opinion could be counted as a "rest" day. Think of it as a couple hours walking the mall shopping or similar. Would you log that? Or consider that a day off?

That being said, you need to push yourself a little to get results, but always listen to your body. Being sore from working out and being in pain are two totally different things. In addition to that, sometimes we just need a complete break from it all and have a total veg on the couch day with movies or a book...although not too often! :)

Bottom line, get moving a little more, eat a little less...nothing drastic, and the weight will come off :) Make sure you keep those weight training sessions in there to build/maintain that muscle!!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but be careful about over-doing it right away. I know your goal is weight loss and losing fast; but too much too soon can be dangerous as well. You didn't put the weight on over-night, so taking it off won't happen over-night as well.

Everything I have read has said has said that in the beginning, it's more about learning the habits of being active/working-out so that you can remain consistent. An article I read said that your work-out should become a habit like brushing your teeth; just a normal part of your day. It's about changing your lifestyle to maintain a healthy life, not a quick fix. With that said, 5 days of 30 mins of cardio is best. This will get you to the 150 min + a week.

You can still strength train on days of cardio. I would maybe work a way of doing more cardio on the days you don't lift, and a short cardio day on the days you do lift (Example: If you choose to lift 4 days a week, do 20 min of cardio on these days and one 60 min of cardio on your off day; or lift 3 days a week with 20 min of cardio, and two 45 min cardio sessions). With strength training, it's best to work one muscle group one day and rest that muscle group the next day. This schedule can be done many ways. I've read doing upper body on Mon & Thurs, lower body on Tues & Fri (or any different combination of this with your rest day between the two upper & lower days). Some people prefer the total body lifting in one day, so doing one set on Mon, Wed, & Sat (again, it's all about what your preference is of the day of the week, the key is the rest in between).

I hope this helps!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to listen to your body. Believe it or not it will tell you when it needs a break. When I first started my journey, I worked out 4 days per week. I did 2 days with a trainer and two days of just straight cardio. I slowly added days to my workout schedule as my fitness level got better. This is what my week looks like now:

Sunday- long runs (10+ miles)
    Monday- RPM (spin class)
    Tuesday- short run (4-6 miles)
    Wed- Body Pump
    Thursday- trainer (cross fit, TRX, HIIT or Tabata)
    Friday- med run (7-9 miles)
    Satruday- trainer (crossfit, TRX, HIIT or Tabata)

Every so often I will take out a run day and put in a yoga class for active recovery. I do listen to my body and if I am not feeling it then I won't do it. I have learned the difference between "I don't want to do it" or "I really need to rest" that took time for me to understand. :)
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb I've always heard for "active rest" or recovery days is that your heart rate shouldn't exceed 120bpm; that is, you shouldn't be out doing wind sprints or suicides on an "active rest" day. :)

I've frequently mixed cardio and weight training on the same day (ie. every Friday is shoulder day for me, and then I've got hockey on Friday night), and I haven't noticed any decrease in energy, soreness, or loss of muscle mass. The big concern, as stated above, is to avoid the urge to do too much at once, potentially biting off more than you can chew, and wind up overexerting yourself. This will increase your chances of injury; also, it will reduce the progress you're making, as you're not affording your body time to rest and recuperate.

When I first started, my routine was pretty basic: I did full-body weight training on Mon/Wed/Fri, and cardio on Tues/Thurs. Saturday and Sunday were both active rest days, wherein I could go for a walk, a hike, whatever. Your body should be given time to relax and repair, but "rest day" doesn't automatically mean "sit on the couch and do nothing all day" day. :)

The nice thing when you're first starting is that there's almost no wrong way to approach it, as most anything is going to yield results. I wouldn't worry from the get-go about having your training regimen down to an exact science - a lot of it is going to be trial and error, and fine-tuning along the way based on what gives you the results you want, since everyone is different.

Hope this helps!
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, y'all. :) And I have been gradually increasing, I'm not just jumping into this schedule I posted in my original post, haha. I started working on building some healthy exercise habits starting in January, starting with 1 water aerobics class per week and some 10-15 minute sessions on the treadmill/elliptical, then adding another water aerobics class and some lap swimming, etc. I started adding in strength training about 4 weeks ago, starting with some weight/cable machines at pretty low weights to kind of find my feet and increasing from there, each week moving a little away from the machines and more toward the cable machines/free weights/bodyweight, and starting next week I'm going to be doing my strength training entirely at home so I can maximize my precious gym time in the pool - I have a 6 month old son at home and my husband is starting to get cranky at my gym visits too often during the week, so I want to do something at home after Baby is in bed. :)

I appreciate all the great input! Still not exactly sure what I'm going to do schedule-wise, but I think I will view the Aqua Zumba days as rest days, and just go into that class with the mindset that I'm there to have fun in an active way, and not to hit the cardio hard. :smiley:
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Mon/Wed/Fri, and cardio on Tues/Thurs. << what type of cardio did you do on these days - is it ok to do HIIT?

• kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pipe in and say you don't actually need to exercise to lose weight. I lost the most weight in the beginning before I incorporated any exercise. So don't worry about not losing weight on rest days. As long as each week, on average, you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose. It doesn't matter if you're only eating cake and laying on the couch.

That said, your program looks great and I understand you are looking to maintain your muscles as you lose. Totally get it. I just wanted to make sure you realized that exercising doesn't equal weight loss, eating fewer calories than you burn does. PP's have given you some great advice, and good luck with your journey!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a super newbie and just started (10 days in) with doing HIIT 5x a week. My version (what I could do) was 1min @ 4.5-5 and 2min rest @ 2.5 - did that for 10 days w sat/sun off.

Yesterday,( day 11) I began Jason's ice cream 5x5 @ 3x a week using 20lbs (as I am super out of shape )for ea exercise and am wanting to do some sort of cardio on the 2 off days with sat sun off until I built my endurance.

Today because I was super sore from yesterday's 5x5 - I did light cardio on the treadmill @ 2.5-3.0 at a 2.5 incline for 25 min - but I am really interested in doing HIIT (accurately) on the treadmill for 20 min @ 10 s my hardest/fastest which I think is b/t 6-7 (right now) and 50-60s rest @ 2.5-3.0 for my off days - to improve my cardio health and shed fat.

My goal is to lose 60lbs over the next year, I have set my daily calorie @ 1650/daily ( 5'8 f 195lbs)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!