Are you a start a diet right now type person? or start on a Monday type person?

Options

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm a "start today" person. I started tracking on a Thursday, because I decided I was going to change the way I do things, starting right then. No last hurrah, no final decadent meal - no "diet mindset". Life change mindset.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    What is everyones opinions and views on this..
    Would you rather start a diet IMMEDIATELY or think it's better to start at the start of a new week, like a Monday.

I am a "this is not a diet but a lifestyle change" type person.

This. I'm a start exercising on Monday type of person. Ha
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started when the decision was I needed to lose weight...end of October 2012. This was the last time I wanted to go through this. I put the yo-yo down. I was on vacation at the time so I started with eating better. Wasn't sure what exercise would be for me but the Monday I got home I was in a gym and haven't looked back.

I needed to really push myself to lose a few pounds I had put on after I had surgery last year and couldn't work out. A friend had started the FMD and although I don't like the word diet I invested in the book and have been following the eating plan and have now refocused and lost that surgery weight and maintained the loss through a three week vacation in Jan/Feb. BTW my husband finally joined me in eating a healthy and balanced food plan and lost 19 pounds. Oh...we started this FMD on the Monday before Thanksgiving after I read through the plan over the weekend. Haven't looked back. Only healthy days of eating in front of me. A real eye opening experience.

So make a decision and move forward before someone or something influences you in a different direction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Once I decide I need to lose weight, I usually start right away.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm totally start on Monday type of person. Then I plan the whole month out hoping to stay on track.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I was unsuccessful I started "next Monday."

When I was successful, i.e. this time, I started the day the urge struck me and haven't looked back.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'when all the food is gone I start' person. But because I gain weight so fast and lose it so slow, I'm now a 'determined to never gain weight again' person.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    When I was unsuccessful I started "next Monday."

When I was successful, i.e. this time, I started the day the urge struck me and haven't looked back.

QFT. I used to be a "I'll start dieting Monday!" type of person. Well, that Monday never came.

This time around, I joined a gym on a Thursday. I think I started logging MFP on a Tuesday, mid-day.

I've kept those habits now too. I hit the gym on a Sunday after a week-long vacation instead of thinking "I'll just start fresh Monday." If I have a big event that involves food on a Thursday and eat way too much, I don't give up till Monday; I get back to logging the next day.

I guess it's because this is my life now; it was never a diet while I was losing, and it's not a diet now. It's just...me. Taking care of myself makes me feel better, and I deserve that today. Not next week.

(sidenote: "I'll start Monday!" kept me at and around 300 pounds for years. When I started on a Tuesday, though, everything changed. I lost 130ish pounds and I've been maintaining for 2.5 years. Make today your day.)

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started on a Monday about 2.5 years ago...

Don't remember all the details, but I probably planned to start on that Monday.

ETA: I just realized that was also the 1st of the month. Might have planned that too. Gah, I wish I could remember.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm a "start now" person. I used to think "I'm going to do this right, so I need to stock up on the right foods, and research the local gyms, and buy the right shoes, etc. and then I'll start". Once it dawned on me that there was nothing stopping me from just eating less right now, and nothing terrible would happen if I went for a walk in the "wrong" shoes right now, I just got on with it.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I'm a start Monday kind of person. I planned to start watching what I ate and exercising more at the beginning of this year so I made the last few weeks of January really count.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used to always be a 'monday' type of person, but I actually decided to randomly start on new years eve this year, I was going to wait till January 1st, but was like, why wait?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Right now :)

I started on a Wednesday last year.
  • LariMoore
    Options
    I'm a "Start Monday" type of person, but it seems that when I stepped out of my comfort zone and started my Healthy Lifestyle change "NOW" I was the most successful.

In the past when I planned and planned, I fell off after a few short time and gained the weight back and then some.

Now, I'm coming up on 1 year since I took the "Start Now" approach and I'm still at it!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What is everyones opinions and views on this..
    Would you rather start a diet IMMEDIATELY or think it's better to start at the start of a new week, like a Monday.

Realizing it's not a diet and it's a complete lifestyle change type of person.

People who wait for Monday never get anything done.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've come to the realization that there is no start over because life is a continuum. There is no point in life where you can wipe out everything that came before and start fresh. I live in the body I have today because of choices I made in the past. Choices I'm making now will give me the body I live with in the future. I'm making better choices.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It was years ago now that I decided to lose weight and start getting fitter, and I remember deciding to start the next day, which was a Saturday, because a) I knew the swimming pool opened at 9am so I'd go then, and b) my family had agreed to get fish and chips for dinner and I KNEW I wasn't going to turn that down, so might as well put a dent in the calorie overload by exercising and eating well the rest of the day!

I've always been someone who struggles to get started with new things, so I knew I had to act immediately or I'd lose momentum. Once I've set my mind to it and physically started, I normally keep going until the job is done.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I usually starts on Monday but I should really have an attitude of start "NOW" tomorrow or Monday shouldn't make a difference. But for data collection, I start always from the beginning if I can help it.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I did not start this year out planning to lose weight. I actually started on Friday, January 2nd. I know it looks kind of like I was a resolutionist, but I honestly didn't have any resolutions this year except to "Be happy."

I used to be a Monday or a 1st of month type person. I found out that for me, it never worked. Monday never came, or I'd screw up and say "Well I'll just start next week/month/etc." That's just the kind of procrastinator I am lol.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly, I feel that for me "I'll start on Monday" is a bit of a cop-out. If you're serious, start now as it should be a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'. You see a lot of people with the 'I'll start tomorrow/Monday/ next month/January 1st' see it as license to have a last hurrah and overeat until then, since they'll be starting fresh on Monday. Some people lose resolve towards the end of the week and do this every week and get nowhere! Ok I've totally done this myself, but have found much greater success since I realised that if I really want this it has to be a NOW thing. If I screw up I have to forgive myself and move on, starting now.

This is what I think as well.

As a poster on one of the success stories said, don't start tomorrow. I spent X years (I don't remember how many years he said) starting tomorrow. Start today.