please help me - toning at home

Options
I have lost 33 lbs just by walking a bit more and counting calories. though it has been a long journey, about 2 years all together. work and school left me exhausted.
I'm finding myself with a bit more time, energy and motivation lately.

I have seen numerous people lose weight and burn fat like crazy just by weight training. I don't have time right now to spend on the gym, but I have 5 lb and 10 lb weights at home.

I want to tone my whole body. can you guys help suggest some exercises with weights for my stomach, back, legs and butt? how many reps do i do of each? and how many sets should I do?

I probably sounds like a complete amateur because that's what i am. please be nice lol

Replies

• john8506
    john8506 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You and I are are walking the same journey. I had cancer last year with surgery. No more Cancer but it was a wake up call to get fit and trim off about 20 pounds so I began to walking last summer and walked off about 15 pounds. Now I have added a upper body and core routine each morning. I am not a gym type person so my walking has slowed down over the winter months but beginning to work the walking back in on warmer days. With the addition of a Fitbit (Christmas present) and MyFitnessPal I am more motivated than even. Would love to add you as a fitness pal.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    There is an app for that: "Pop Sugar"

Also "YouTube" has some like "Fitness Blender"

A certified trainer can help you with form, breathing, reps... I think it is worth the extra bucks for proper training.

The "Pop Sugar" workouts can lead you pretty well. They remind you to breath, suck in your gut, etc. but nothing beats a one-on-one.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    john8506 wrote: »
    You and I are are walking the same journey. I had cancer last year with surgery. No more Cancer but it was a wake up call to get fit and trim off about 20 pounds so I began to walking last summer and walked off about 15 pounds. Now I have added a upper body and core routine each morning. I am not a gym type person so my walking has slowed down over the winter months but beginning to work the walking back in on warmer days. With the addition of a Fitbit (Christmas present) and MyFitnessPal I am more motivated than even. Would love to add you as a fitness pal.

i'll add you!
  • peopletalk
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    There is an app for that: "Pop Sugar"

Also "YouTube" has some like "Fitness Blender"

A certified trainer can help you with form, breathing, reps... I think it is worth the extra bucks for proper training.

The "Pop Sugar" workouts can lead you pretty well. They remind you to breath, suck in your gut, etc. but nothing beats a one-on-one.

I completely agree. I was thinking i'd look into it during the summer when i'm done school.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Blogilates. It's fantastic -- though everyone is different, of course. But you could check it out and see what you think!

I love it because it's tough, because Cassey Ho (the trainer) is positive, funny and good at instructing and motivating, and because of the daily calendar aspect. I just consult the calendar and do those videos. (Free on YouTube / her site.)

And feel free to friend me!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    peopletalk wrote: »
    I have lost 33 lbs just by walking a bit more and counting calories. though it has been a long journey, about 2 years all together. work and school left me exhausted.

I have seen numerous people lose weight and burn fat like crazy just by weight training. I don't have time right now to spend on the gym, but I have 5 lb and 10 lb weights at home.

I want to tone my whole body. can you guys help suggest some exercises with weights for my stomach, back, legs and butt? how many reps do i do of each? and how many sets should I do?

I probably sounds like a complete amateur because that's what i am. please be nice lol

Nobody has the time. You have to make the time.

If you don't want to spend the money on a gym membership that's a different story. Look into bodyweight training.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

If you don't want to spend the money on a gym membership that's a different story. Look into bodyweight training.

I work 50 hours a week for a practicum, and have 3 hour classes. I also have 8 hour lab classes and an exam worth 20% every single week.
    so for my own sanity, no, at this moment in my life, i don't have the time. it's hard enough juggling all this with counting calories but i'm not adding another thing to my plate.
    if you look at the post i just posted, i did say when i wasn't in school i was going to look into a trainer.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    I have been doing Blogilates. It's fantastic -- though everyone is different, of course. But you could check it out and see what you think!

I love it because it's tough, because Cassey Ho (the trainer) is positive, funny and good at instructing and motivating, and because of the daily calendar aspect. I just consult the calendar and do those videos. (Free on YouTube / her site.)

And feel free to friend me!
    I just looked it up, it looks awesome!
    pop sugar looks amazing as well :)
    thanks guys!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest pilates but someone beat me to it! I totally understand where you're coming from re having no time. I was the same when I was studying for my PhD. Try to make 20 mins a day to do a little bit and you will feel better. You will likely feel like you have more energy too. Think of it as advanced laziness - if you take 20 mins a day to strengthen your muscles and help lose weight, all other day to day activities will be easier!
  • peopletalk
    Options
    I was going to suggest pilates but someone beat me to it! I totally understand where you're coming from re having no time. I was the same when I was studying for my PhD. Try to make 20 mins a day to do a little bit and you will feel better. You will likely feel like you have more energy too. Think of it as advanced laziness - if you take 20 mins a day to strengthen your muscles and help lose weight, all other day to day activities will be easier!

i'm glad you understand :)
    I needed something i could do at home just to help me get started. even if i get home at 9:30 at night after a full day of school then work, a 10-20 minute arm, ab or legs workout is better than doing nothing.
    my days are pretty active with walking due to work but i think my body has gotten used to the routine
  • dedrea_stone32
    Options
    Can somebody help me? I have a problem with self control but wanna cry when I try on pants don't remember last time I did wanna loose 20 pounds I feel depressed and everything
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Can somebody help me? I have a problem with self control but wanna cry when I try on pants don't remember last time I did wanna loose 20 pounds I feel depressed and everything

sorry to hear, feel free to add me for support.
    just go one day at a time
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely takes time. My weekends are like, "all we did was play tennis and bleachers! What about the sanding and varnishing?" And that's every weekend this year.

I agree. It is really difficult to manage exercise time especially as a student. Maybe the Pop Sugar workouts are perfect for you. They are 20 minutes max usually.

Another good workout I do is a Crossfit for beginners I found on YouTube: http://YouTube.be/Qu2_s5hsuk There are two workouts. One is about 5 minutes. The other is about 12 minutes. They can help keep you toned.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Exercise definitely takes time. My weekends are like, "all we did was play tennis and bleachers! What about the sanding and varnishing?" And that's every weekend this year.

I agree. It is really difficult to manage exercise time especially as a student. Maybe the Pop Sugar workouts are perfect for you. They are 20 minutes max usually.

Another good workout I do is a Crossfit for beginners I found on YouTube: http://YouTube.be/Qu2_s5hsuk There are two workouts. One is about 5 minutes. The other is about 12 minutes. They can help keep you toned.

you've been such a big help :)
    thank you!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I saw people recommended YouTube on here with fitness blender and Blogilates. My favorites on YouTube are also Jessica Smith TV, ToneItUp, and XHIT Daily, and BeFiT! I actually love doing YouTube work-outs on days when I don't feel like going to the gym.
  • ew_david
    Options

I work 50 hours a week for a practicum, and have 3 hour classes. I also have 8 hour lab classes and an exam worth 20% every single week.
    so for my own sanity, no, at this moment in my life, i don't have the time. it's hard enough juggling all this with counting calories but i'm not adding another thing to my plate.
    if you look at the post i just posted, i did say when i wasn't in school i was going to look into a trainer.

With all that you are doing, you are still going to have to make the time to workout, regardless of where you do it. You don't need a gym or a trainer to get fit.

Look up You Are Your Own Gym.
  • peopletalk
    Options

With all that you are doing, you are still going to have to make the time to workout, regardless of where you do it. You don't need a gym or a trainer to get fit.

..I know. that's why I made this thread lol
  • ew_david
    Options

Asking about workouts that you don't have time to do? Ok.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me with time management and weight loss when I had no time in my life was I kept telling myself, "If I have time to get on the internet and mess around... then I have time to workout."
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Asking about workouts that you don't have time to do? Ok.

She didn't say she didn't have time to work, but that she didn't have time to go to the gym. My gym is super close and I still end up spending 20 minutes driving (both ways) and another 5 or so in the locker room changing shoes. That's almost half an hour that could have been spent working out. OP was asking for suggestions on workouts to do at home to save on time, not whining about how there is no time to exercise.

@peopletalk‌ Good for you for adding in some strength training at home. I'm also trying to build a strength routine I can do at home because with working full time, going to school part time, and a 6 month old at home I need my 3 nights a week of gym time to be spent in the pool - the type of exercise I enjoy most. :) Some of these suggestions people gave you are pretty great, and I know I'm going to check out Pop Sugar and this "Blogilates" thing. Best of luck!