I wanna be a runner again. Any advice?

Options
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone can give me some good pointers or references to somewhere i can research how to be able to start running again? Granted im about 60lbs over weight and i know that it will come with time before i can just be up and running. Ive tried the c25k and im debating giving it another chance. My problem is controling my breathing. My body says lets keep going but my lungs are saying b*@^h you are trying to kill me!... I recently sprained my knee about a month a go and ive been caged up resting it and im ready to get back out there and get things on track.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    C25K is a good program -- it's worth giving it a go again. Can you slow down more? Usually if you're gasping for air, you're either going too fast or just not relaxed. Better to start slow and work up rather than get injured and have to start over. Other possible issue with your lungs may be the cold -- winter air is rough on the lungs until you adapt; with spring in the air, 'tho, that should be becoming of an issue now.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    Thanks. I think I will. My close friend is doing it and she had the same problem as me with the breathing and she is a champ now. I wanna be able to do a whole 5k and be proud and say i ran through the whole thing and eventually move up to bigger.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble breathing odds are you are attempting to run too fast. While doing a program like C25K you should be running at a pace so slow that you can carry on a conversation without gasping for air. That's slow. Really slow. For many people it's a pace not much faster than walking, especially at first. You're trying to build up your endurance at the beginning; speed comes much later.

There are many good C25K options out there. If you do a web search I'm sure you'll find a bunch. I've heard really good things about the Zombies 5K smartphone app, too. There's a storyline to keep you interested while it's telling you to run, walk, etc.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    how far or for how long were you able to run when you did previously?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If running is too difficult start by walking. Work up to run, walk, run, walk.

My goal was a 5k, I started by running .25 miles, then walking .25 miles until I reached the 5k total each workout. Eventually I was running more and walking less until it was all running.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Try looking at Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run plan. It is a great way to build up. I used that when I first started to run. Good luck!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Maybe run on a treadmill slowly the first few weeks, so your not out in the cold (makes breathing worse for me). And just go slow. Like really slow. And keep plugging along! Youll see improvement. Better to start slow and keep at it then rush and never try again. Good luck! Im trying to be a runner for the first time in my life
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i'm getting back to running after a tragic yoga accident right now and i have to second zombies run. the 5k version isn't nearly as exciting as the base app (where you get to experience a full-on story, build your base, emotionally bond with characters, get eaten alive if you're not fast enough...), but it's a lot more engaging than your average C25K.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I love the couch 2 5k.
    Any my lungs cuss me as well.....they will strengthen though, promise.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being overweight and running - I am currently about 70 lbs overweight and am training for a half marathon, so it can be done. As others have said you just have to work your way into it. For me, I started with walking, and then started adding in short bursts of running - for example, walk 4 min, run 1 min, and just kept increasing my running time until I was only running. And make sure you are not sprinting - you only need to do that if you are trying to win a track event :D

There is a sticky thread at the top of the Fitness and Exercise board that is all about running - some really good info in there!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Long story short - I got pregnant and in the beginning I got sent to the emergency room and the doctor told me to take it easy on working out during my pregnancy so I stopped working out completely (stupid... I know) I just got back into running last year.

Like other people have suggested, start out slow. Alternate between running and walking until you are comfortable just running.

Also, strength train! This is what has really helped me. I started lifting weights and I was able to start running a full hour before I knew it.

I hope this helps.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    This C25K group is great for getting back into running.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Lose weight, run at an easier pace.
  • Oddwee2
    Oddwee2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good advice from all. I'd just add to be patient and celebrate small victories. It takes time. I started running with the C25K app and have since run two half marathons. I smoked for 15 years and also gained 50+ with each of my pregnancies. I'll never win any records for speed, but I get out there and have fun and try my best. Just keep telling yourself that you can do it and you will!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am still about twenty pounds heavier than I want to be and I love running. Just pay attention and don't run on pain. Do all your stretches. The cardiovascular (breathing) will catch up faster than you think; within weeks. The muscles come back next, and tendons last. I've never run flat out more than ten minutes before I break. I'm in this for the long haul.

My daughter can walk alongside me when I run.

A local Running Room may have a class or a group you can run with.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the info.