when do you workout/eating before the gym.

Options
jazzxdaisy
jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
i work monday to friday 9-5. i've tried to go to the gym in the mornings, but a) i'm really not a morning person, and b) my gym doesn't open until 6.15am, which only leaves me 40 minutes to get in, workout, and get out again before i need to get back to get ready for work.
i don't get home until around 5.30/6pm, which is peak time at my gym (to the point where you can't even get a parking space). and i always have dinner around 7pm.

obviously this only applies for weekdays, but is it okay to go to the gym after dinner (like around 8pm)? i've read so much about you should/definitely should not eat before working out and i'm getting fed up missing the gym.

(i'm tired and grouchy and having a "there's not enough hours in the day" moan, sorry!)

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You should go whatever time works for you. Exercising before or after eating depends on the person. If I don't eat before my workouts suffer and I risk my sugars crashing. If my husband has more than toast with peanut butter or a protein bar he feels sick when working out.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I almost always have to work out after dinner. It's been no issue for me, unless it was a big or heavy dinner then I get a little sick if I push too hard.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We go at different times, going past 8/9pm suits me at the gym as I don't have to stand around waiting for a squat rack. We always try and avoid going between 5-7pm though!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Around 2 or 3. I eat a small lunch 3-4 hours before and let it digest. So if my packed lunch is 600 calories, I would eat half of that. Then finishitafter my workout. If i workout in the evening i at most have a snack first then have supper after. I also have to make sure my lunch is low fat or else I get nauseous while lifting. If I eat to soon before working out I don't work out that well.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a morning person, but once I decided to give morning workouts a try, I ended up really preferring them. I go before work, and on an empty stomach. I wear my workout clothes to the gym and bring my work clothes and everything I need to get ready with me to the gym. I get all my stuff together the night before to save me time in the morning. I go to the location that's closest to my work and head to work straight from the gym. I eat breakfast once I'm at work. My morning workouts give me energy and endorphins that are a great way to start the day. I'd highly recommend trying it!