Are you a start a diet right now type person? or start on a Monday type person?

Options
13»

Replies

• bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think I've changed from a start on Monday type person. It helps when I just say "start right now" to get back on track after a bad day.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was always "i'll start on monday" but this time I got back on track after the new year! I do like to plan though, so I always plan ahead and make sure there is lots of nutritious food in the house etc. Now i'm in a routine and completely organised I will never have to "start" ever again. This is my lifestyle now.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can spend YEARS "starting on Monday" or "starting tomorrow". Just binged? Cool. Log it, adjust your calories, do better starting NOW.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm a start now person, but my husband is a start Monday person. So he wants to plan and get himself mentally ready to start (as well as binge on his favourites on the weekend to get it out of his system), which is usually counter to what I want to do because I want to start now. But yes, yes one last bag of chips would be so good. Just this weekend. Then Monday we'll both start better.

Rinse. Repeat.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this way for way too long for that to be an issue, but back before then, I was always a "start right now" person, which ultimately sabotaged myself. It's hard to be a start right now when the healthiest thing in the house is leftover pizza.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Don't. Don't start a diet. Start a lifestyle change. Diets are about fixing a "problem" - excess weight in this case - and as soon as it is "fixed", we tend to move on back to our old habits. So don't diet. Change how you eat and how you move in a way that you like so you can keep it up forever!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I just started a new lifting program today (Wednesday), so...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Don't. Don't start a diet. Start a lifestyle change. Diets are about fixing a "problem" - excess weight in this case - and as soon as it is "fixed", we tend to move on back to our old habits. So don't diet. Change how you eat and how you move in a way that you like so you can keep it up forever!

If you are eating at a deficit to lose weight, then you are dieting.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I hate the whole "one last day before the diet" thing so I think it's best to start right away. I started on a Friday myself.
  • gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be a "Start Monday" kind of guy. I must have started on dozens of Mondays and it never took. That mythical Monday where I would be serious about getting in shape was always just out there somewhere. Finally something happened and I took a stand and just went for it. Now its been a year and I'm down over 100lbs and still going strong. If you look at my quote on my Profile page, this is what it says. "Monday Finally Came"
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Years ago I would have been a Monday starter. Now I just go for it. I always have to tell myself that when I know I need to start counting calories again. Once in a while I just get tired of it. Guess that is why I haven't loss any weight. Now I just do it without thinking. Go right in.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »

If you are eating at a deficit to lose weight, then you are dieting.

Well, if we are going to get super technical about the word, then diet is actually the sum of food consumed by an organism - ANY sum of food (Wikipedia). Your diet may cause you to gain weight, lose weight, or remain at the same weight. Similarly, "dieting" technically is a term for supervised, regulated food intake, and its goal can be to lose, maintain or even gain weight.

But clearly, I wasn't using the term clinically.

I was simply saying that the reason "dieting" often doesn't work is because people see it as a means to an end rather than a lifestyle, hence once that end is achieved, they cease their new habits and go back to the old normal. And "starting a diet" has that kind of connotation, at least when I hear it.
  • schafer_stacy
    schafer_stacy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm totally start on Monday type of person. Then I plan the whole month out hoping to stay on track.

Yep, that's me too. I feel like I need to plan it all out if I have any hope of success...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    "Start Monday" means "start never". If you want to do something, the only way to do it is to just start.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Never put it off!