Lifting

Options
So, i would like to start lifting. I'm still in process of losing weight though, another 25-30 lbs to my goal weight. Will the lifting help my weight loss? How much weight should i be lifting/reps/sets?? What kind of weights? Just barbell deadlifts? or are there others. I'm new to all this and i'd like some advice so i know i'm doing things properly... i feel like when i do weights i'm not doing them properly, or maybe i'm just being self concious... i do about 30-35 minutes on the cross trainer 4-5 days a week, seated floor row machine, 4 sets of 25 reps, and, leg weights, 3 sets of 12 reps 105 lbs. Should i focus more on cardio for now? or equal amounts of both!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The time to start lifting was yesterday. :) Lifting will probably not help your weight loss but what it will do is help your fat loss which is much more important. When we lose weight it's a combination of fat, muscle and water. Strength training helps to retain the muscle you already have and your body has already built up some muscle mass to move around your extra weight. It is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle so if you can keep muscle as you lose weight you're going to look a lot better when you've lost the fat that is covering them than if some of that muscle was lost, too.

Cardio is more about endurance and earning more calories. Keep doing it if you want but only for those reasons and/or because you enjoy it. I usually run and lift weights on alternating days because I enjoy running.

As far as what type of weight lifting it's really up to you. You might check out both the New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts 5x5. Both are highly recommended around here. But honestly, if you feel more comfortable using the weight machines at your gym then go for it. The best type of activities are those we enjoy because we'll keep doing them. Better getting slower or lesser results using weight machines than not doing any lifting with free weights at all.
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    The time to start lifting was yesterday. :) Lifting will probably not help your weight loss but what it will do is help your fat loss which is much more important. When we lose weight it's a combination of fat, muscle and water. Strength training helps to retain the muscle you already have and your body has already built up some muscle mass to move around your extra weight. It is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle so if you can keep muscle as you lose weight you're going to look a lot better when you've lost the fat that is covering them than if some of that muscle was lost, too.

Cardio is more about endurance and earning more calories. Keep doing it if you want but only for those reasons and/or because you enjoy it. I usually run and lift weights on alternating days because I enjoy running.

As far as what type of weight lifting it's really up to you. You might check out both the New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts 5x5. Both are highly recommended around here. But honestly, if you feel more comfortable using the weight machines at your gym then go for it. The best type of activities are those we enjoy because we'll keep doing them. Better getting slower or lesser results using weight machines than not doing any lifting with free weights at all.

yes id really like to start seeing a big difference in my fat loss, you know, the jiggle lol... i'm so looking forward to being confident this summer so i'll take all the advice i could get!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Will the lifting help my weight loss?
    A calorie deficit = weight loss. Lifting + calorie deficit helps with FAT loss.
    How much weight should i be lifting/reps/sets?? What kind of weights? Just barbell deadlifts?
    Look up some beginner lifting programs (preferred), or put one together yourself focusing on the big/primary muscle groups - back, chest, legs with arms and shoulders being secondary. Most people will recommend freeweights (barbell and dumbbells) first, but machines and body weight exercises can be very effective too.
    Should i focus more on cardio for now? or equal amounts of both!
    There are benefits to both. As long as the intensity is high (not as easy as it sounds), you'll be find doing either or both.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

yes id really like to start seeing a big difference in my fat loss, you know, the jiggle lol... i'm so looking forward to being confident this summer so i'll take all the advice i could get!
    I started weight lifting last Spring. I usually lift twice a week for upper body and once for legs (my legs are already well muscled by genetics and from running) so I'm not doing anything extreme. Even though, it's made a huge difference for me. My weight loss has been slower and I'm still carrying extra pounds, but I'm wearing clothes I could previously only wear at 10 pounds less than my current weight and I've lost the jiggle on my upper arms! I only wish I'd started sooner.
  • kimkilbride
    kimkilbride Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! The time to start lifting was yesterday! Haha

I am also in the process of losing weight and kind of did the opposite. I always have been into lifting (I do Crossfit and Oly lifts on my own) but have never been one for cardio. I was strong as hell but didn't notice any weight loss. I stated doing cardio and now by combining both I am seeing the definition from the lifting. Honestly, once you start seeing the definition, which I think you will very soon, you will be addicted to lifting. Something crazy empowering about lifting your body weight and than some!