Treadmill vs elliptical for weight-loss

Options
Hi i was wonder.. What's better for losing weight and which one do u loose more calories in 30 min? Thanks

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) programs. Those are a great option on either pieces of cardio equipment.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eating in a caloric deficit is how you lose weight. Exercise is health, so use the treadmill or elliptical or both. Mix them up for less boredom.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are strictly worried about calories per hour the treadmill will be your better option. The lowest incline you should be using is 1.0, I'd suggest a steady state runs 2-3 times a week and one interval session per week.

For someone new to running something like 1 mile warm-up, .25 miles fast/.1 mile recovery (start with 6 repetitions and work your way up to 8), 1 mile cool down. Make each of the fast portions .1 faster than the one before. Next week start your fast where your 4th interval was the week before.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is better for burning calories...but they work different muscles (you can easily check it out even though it may not be as accurate as a heart rate monitor - just punch in the numbers on myfitnesspal in the exercise section using the same amount of time). Of course, it's also what you put into it.

Why not switch back and forth? I run...and on my off days (the recommendation for a beginner running is to have a rest day in between runs) I use the elliptical. That way, I get my cardio and I'm "resting my running muscles."
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Definitely different muscles! Running is my primary exercise - because I love it, not because of weight loss or calories burned or any of that. And I can run long very happily - but an elliptical, which burns less calories for the same amount of time for me, has me exhausted in less than half an hour. I agree with those who say to mix it up.

Also - you may already do this, but I can't tell from your post - try to think of exercise as more than a tool that may lead to weight loss ... notice your muscles changing, your speed and distances improving, your day-to-day physical capacity/endurance increasing, etc. Challenge yourself by making small goals with short time-frames. That's much more rewarding (imho) than whether or not it's helping you to lose weight. :)
  • NFMendoza
    NFMendoza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. And I hadn't thought of that.. I'm gonna mix it up between the two now :)
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is if you run or want to run outside, don't do a lot on the elliptical. I find it has shortened my stride when I run and makes running more difficult
  • NFMendoza
    NFMendoza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is true.. Thanks
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    My suggestion is if you run or want to run outside, don't do a lot on the elliptical. I find it has shortened my stride when I run and makes running more difficult

I agree, I never use the elliptical.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    benboyd85 wrote: »

I agree, I never use the elliptical.

Huh. Interesting. I can't run due to osteoarthritis in my knees; the elliptical is a godsend for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you are just exercising for the calorie burn, do what ever burns more (use and HRM to determine as elliptical tend to over estimate the burn.

I would point out like this person, that elliptical will not help you in "real life" situations, you will have a stronger heart and lungs. The motion it has you do is not used anywhere, except on the elliptical. It will not help you run better, and the motion on the machine is not natural to the body and, even though low impact, can cause RSI (repetitive strain injury) as the body moves in a way it is not designed to do.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't run because it kills my knees and I generally don't like running :smile: We have an elliptical at home and love it!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can make either of these as hard as you want them to be; before my wedding I set the elliptical on the highest resistance and highest incline and pedaled as fast as I could for 90 minutes a day - it was stupid and exhausting and I haven't been on an elliptical since... but it burned a lot of calories! The treadmill can also burn a ton or barely any depending on your speed, incline and length of time spend on it.

Its like asking if pizza is healthy - if you make it on cauliflower crust with all veggies and no cheese vs deep dish meat lovers - they're both called pizza but are completely different things; ellipticals and treadmills are quite the same because they can help you burn whatever you want depending on your settings and length of time you're willing to put in.

However, just keep in mind it is very hard to exercise weight off... pretty much everyone who is not a bonafide athlete needs to turn to their diet for weightloss and use working out for health.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Less about the machine and more about what you put into it.

I'm definitely an advocate of doing both if they're available to you (just like I'd be an advocate of you maybe trying an exercise class, or doing something strength based like lifting weights or at least your body weight). But do what you're going to give your all in. A lot of people jump on the treadmill or eliptical and phone it in for 30 minutes and don't try to push their physical limits. Set goals for yourself based on time, distance, etc and watch the growth you have. That'll be more rewarding than any weight loss that exercise adds to.

Your goal (just based on your post) seems to be more weight than health related: what you're eating is going to matter a lot more for weight loss than whether you put in 30 minutes on either machine. If you're looking to improve your overall health, I'd say you're on the right track for exercising at all!

Keep it up!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

If you are just exercising for the calorie burn, do what ever burns more (use and HRM to determine as elliptical tend to over estimate the burn.

I would point out like this person, that elliptical will not help you in "real life" situations, you will have a stronger heart and lungs. The motion it has you do is not used anywhere, except on the elliptical. It will not help you run better, and the motion on the machine is not natural to the body and, even though low impact, can cause RSI (repetitive strain injury) as the body moves in a way it is not designed to do.

I think your experience with ellipticals is limited. Each manufacturer has a different movement design, so you can't make any general statements that are applicable to all types. At least one has done extensive movement studies and their elliptical movement moves exactly the way the body is designed. Repetitive injuries can and do happen with every type of exercise ever invented, no matter how "natural".
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Due to shonky knees and a recurring case of plantar fasciitis, I prefer ellipticals. I do a 30 high intensity workout from a Prevention podcast that gets my heart rate going twice a week, and add other body weight routines for fitness.

Regarding what's said above about mixing it up, my local gym has two different types of ellipticals. I usually stick to one type because the other has a very long stride which has me wheezing within minutes. I know I should persevere as you shouldn't let the body just phone in a workout, but I really struggle with the other type, and it's just not as enjoyable* as my preferred type.

* However enjoyable one can find a 30 minute, ultra sweaty workout.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what the others have said: depends!! Today I did a tempo run on a treadmill with the speed at 7.3 (8:13 min/mile) for 30 minutes. I warmed up/cooled down an extra 10 minutes at 6.0. I burned over 500 calories. I would be extremely hard pressed to do that on an elliptical.

I understand some people can't or don't like to run. If I had to pick a second piece of cardio equipment though, I'd choose a rower over an elliptical! I tend to burn more calories on that than the elliptical.

All this being said, most of your weight loss starts in the kitchen. So pick the form of exercise based on what YOU like and think you can stick with! Good luck!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    1.Running outside 2.Treadmill running 3.Eliptical
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eating in a caloric deficit is how you lose weight. Exercise is health, so use the treadmill or elliptical or both. Mix them up for less boredom.
    Not the first time I've heard this but I have a deficit because I exercise. If I burn more calories on the treadmill and eat the same, I've got a bigger deficit and I lose more weight.