Kettlebell workouts with dumbbells?

Options
I already have the dumbbells and I'm seriously poor...what are the reasons NOT to do a kettlebell workout with a dumbbell and/or what precautions/modifications do you recommend. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure either, that's what I use. In because I want to learn more :)
  • Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would think there may be some movements may be more difficult only because the grip applied to each piece of equipment is a little different. Lighter weight may be ok but be cautious of the wrist joint with heavier weights and the varying movements
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    A lot of kettlebells exercises are based on a swing which would be very hard to do properly with a dumbell. If you have dumbells I would do a dumbell workout and forget about kettlebells.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The grip of the kettle bell allows you to swing it around safely. The dumbbell makes a lot of the movements harder. Walmart has some decent prices on the kettle bells if they're around you.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I believe it also has to do with the weight distribution and control. With a dumbbell, everything is nicely centered around the handle. With the kettlebell, you have a different distribution, which can be harder to control.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yea, I tried to swing a dumbell once, it was awful. Kettlebells just make more sense for the type of movement you'll be doing. I got mine pretty cheap on amazon, just make sure they're cast iron or at least one SOLID peice, not a handle glued to the ball. Things fly....
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Yea, I tried to swing a dumbell once, it was awful. Kettlebells just make more sense for the type of movement you'll be doing. I got mine pretty cheap on amazon, just make sure they're cast iron or at least one SOLID peice, not a handle glued to the ball. Things fly....

Yeah if I'm honest, my biggest concern is the TV and windows.