Lifting shoes?

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts I wear these.
    51NNXH2NteL._UX500_.jpg
    For deadlifts.
    mx20bk3_nb_14_i?$dw_temp_default_gallery$
    Running (Something akin)
    81h7A6BKpJL._UX575_.jpg
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts

So if you were doing squats and deadlifts on the same day (I do in SL 5x5) you would stop and switch shoes between lifts?

This seems....excessive.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is it acceptable to be at the gym with no shoes on???? Lol I have never seen anyone do that before.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I use my Oboz Sawtooth low hikers. Wide footprint. Very good support.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot as well. :D
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    got my oly shoes after 3 years of lifting, use them for front squats, C & J and snatch and they provide awesome stability. Agree with Kelly_Montana that backsquats are better in chucks, and I always do deads in flat shoes like chucks and yes, I will switch shoes if I do both lifts in the same session. It's worth it.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts

So if you were doing squats and deadlifts on the same day (I do in SL 5x5) you would stop and switch shoes between lifts?

This seems....excessive.
    No. The way my splits are scheduled I need to only bring one pair of shoe - otherwise, in your case, I'd just dl in my socks which I have done so in the past.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I squat and deadlift in my socks.

I'm usually in my socks too. I think that would be less frowned upon at the gym than bare feet.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use Vibram FiveFingers.
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have used otomix for years and since I only wear them when deadlifting or squatting they last forever. Plus i like the added lateral support on the ankle. (also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)
  • torontonancy
    torontonancy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome trainer. He had me get a pair of Chucks. I still have to remind myself to get my heels flat, but they are awesome. I don't change for lifts and squats.
    Options
    kishstl wrote: »
    ...(also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)
    I wish fanny packs were cool again. When I roadied they were so handy taking door and keeping the ink and hand stamper handy if I needed it.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have never paid attention to people's shoes at the gym but I will from now on. I am new to lifting as well so I will look into peoples suggetions. This might be the perfect time to get me my GREEN Converse that I've always wanted. LOL!!!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use cross-trainers for any cardio and generally any exercise, including lifting when I am on an upper body day. On lower/mid body days that include squats / bb lunges and RDLs, respectively, I wear Chuck Taylors. Found that my cushioned cross-trainers could prompt a little more lean towards the toes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So I'm still new at this whole lifting thing. I have a decent quality pair of running shoes that I use for all my exercising. I saw something somewhere the other day that running shoes are not good for squatting? Is this true? As a beginner, do I care?

running shoes suck for lifting because you lose a lot of energy with all the cushion. A lot of people just wear Converse and they're pretty good. I just bought a pair of Lifter Plus 2.0 from Reebok that are supposed to arrive today so I'm pretty excited to try those out.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I squat and DL in chucks, But i bench in running shoes, they grip better for leg drive.
  • kimkilbride
    kimkilbride Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most people on here. I love my lifters for oly lifts but prefer a flat even surface for my deadlift. I have the Adidas powerlift 2.0 and the reebok lifters. Not a fan of the reebok as I find the heal too hard and when I'm getting under the bar and stomping my foot down in my jerks it does something weird. The Adidas aren't as solid and I finda bit more cushion with those!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kishstl wrote: »
    ...(also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)
    I wish fanny packs were cool again. When I roadied they were so handy taking door and keeping the ink and hand stamper handy if I needed it.

I like them for carrying a pistol.

My fashion sense tells me not to wear a fanny pack though.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I heard that lifting in running shoes will wear them out faster too. Truth?
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use Adidas Powerlift 2.0 on lifting days, so does my husband (the men's version of course). We ordered them directly from Adidas, and love them. Super flat, but very comortable, great for squatting and dl. And yes, it's is acceptable to bring a second pair of shoes if you plan on doing a quick cardio session before/after lifting.