Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

acl surgery

Iam having acl replacement surgery this summer so I can get back to playing sports. Anyone out there that had it done? And any suggestions on what type of graft to do?

Replies

• nmills83
    nmills83 Posts: 1 Member
    I used the patellar tendon when I had mine done, about 5 years ago. If you plan to play sports that is what is recommended. Not going to lie it was pretty painful and recovery takes a bit longer with this method but I feel as good as I did before. It took a little over a year to feel comfortable. Hamstring sounded like a good option too with less down time but hopefully someone else can comment on their experience with it. I ruled cadaver out due to risk of infection and also supposedly it stretches over time. Good luck
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Most of my patient's have had the patellar tendon graft.
  • maximus0275
    maximus0275 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks so much
  • sparty5
    sparty5 Posts: 8 Member
    I had a hamstring graft done about a year and a half ago because I wanted to get back to playing sports too. My surgeon and I discussed graft options and I went with the hamstring because he thought it was best route for me. First 1-2 weeks after surgery hamstring was very sore, but this significantly decreased and turned into a tightness that resolved over time as I got stronger during recovery. I was able to return to sports full strength at the 1 year mark (maybe could have gone a little earlier, but wanted to be cautious because I had a friend who retore going back too early).

Good luck and remember to keep a positive attitude during rehab!
  • maximus0275
    maximus0275 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank you so much sparty