Struggling with fat loss :(

Options
2»

Replies

• crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat, eat at a deficit and continue to lift (to try and preserve the muscle you already have); if you want to build muscle mass eat at a surplus. As a previous poster already said, it is really hard to gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time, so you may have to choose which is more important to you at the moment and aim for that one only. If don't want anything to change, then keep doing what you are doing now.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do want fat loss, but I am concerned that being at a deficit will make my lifting more difficult (I am increasing my weight after 5 or so days of exercising)
  • AdelePardy
    Options
    I only consume 800 a day because I have a desk job. If I go up to 1000, I start print weight back on. I hate my body. I do mild exercise. I also have arthritis and a bed back, so exercise is hard for me. I walk and swim, but it's really hard for me to lose it. It took me a year to lose 28kg, but that's limiting myself to 800 calories a day. I take many vitamins to keep myself healthy and I dint go hungry, I just eat lots of the right food. I dint just calorie count. I limit my carbs and fat to 30gr a day. I wish I didn't struggle so much.
    Good luck, o hope that helps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    AdelePardy wrote: »
    I only consume 800 a day because I have a desk job. If I go up to 1000, I start print weight back on. I hate my body. I do mild exercise. I also have arthritis and a bed back, so exercise is hard for me. I walk and swim, but it's really hard for me to lose it. It took me a year to lose 28kg, but that's limiting myself to 800 calories a day. I take many vitamins to keep myself healthy and I dint go hungry, I just eat lots of the right food. I dint just calorie count. I limit my carbs and fat to 30gr a day. I wish I didn't struggle so much.
    Good luck, o hope that helps.

It took you a whole year to lose 28kg eating only 800 calories a day??
  • crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are wrong to worry that a high deficit can negatively impact your lifting progress, but it is possible to continue making strength gains while at a deficit, at least for a while. I think some of the other posters suggested a smaller deficit. That way you are still losing, even if it's slowly, but you still have fuel for lifting and coping with hunger. If you begin eating at a deficit and losing weight, and eventually reach a point where your lifting is negatively impacted, then you simply have to reassess your goals at that time.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    And a small deficit is fine most days (I think I mentioned that sometimes I'm 200 less and sometimes 1800 and sometimes 200 over) I guess I'll just try be more conscious and change my calories to 1700

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed (at approx 1550 calories now, including my post workout shake)
  • _rachel_k
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Also, my macros are set to 35% for carbs and protein and 30% fats, this is probably wrong isn't it
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    get more cardio in after work, when you get home. do a dvd, whatever. personally i would rather do that than eat less.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Also, my macros are set to 35% for carbs and protein and 30% fats, this is probably wrong isn't it

Wrong how?
    Meeting my macros have been the bane if my existence lol
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Tomatoey: the only problem is after work I don't feel I have the energy to put I to an intense workout on my elliptical (or on DVD). If a brisk walk for an hour during a show is acceptable, I'd consider it

I don't know how wrong lol I hate macros. I did this fitness assessment at the gym and they gave me weird numbers that I just could not reach with the limited calories they gave me (1300 calories) so I just got all confused lol

I JUST WANT TO BE SKINNY WITH MUSCLE lol I wish I Dream Of Jeanie was real (sigh) lol