30 Day Beginner Push-up Routine

Options

Replies

• bmanlatour wrote: »
    I did 6 sets of 4 push-ups. 2 were from the knees to finish a set

Nice! Just curious, why 6 sets? Do you plan to do 6 sets throughout the challenge? Do you spread the sets out throughout the day?

• bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bmanlatour wrote: »
    I did 6 sets of 4 push-ups. 2 were from the knees to finish a set

Nice! Just curious, why 6 sets? Do you plan to do 6 sets throughout the challenge? Do you spread the sets out throughout the day?

I do the sets consecutively with a 30-45 sec rest. I am doing as many sets of the daily goal number because if it's not a challenge, I won't be making progress. I'm not a complete beginner. I usually do 3 sets of 4-7 as a warm up. I'm doing the challenge to push myself. I have never done a set of 20 push ups before. I really want to reach that goal.
  • sheliajim
    Options
    I'm in, I need to do this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    not to rain on the parade but that seems like a rather optimistic progression timetable
  • DavPul wrote: »
    not to rain on the parade

Then don't.

• [/quote]

I do the sets consecutively with a 30-45 sec rest. I am doing as many sets of the daily goal number because if it's not a challenge, I won't be making progress. I'm not a complete beginner. I usually do 3 sets of 4-7 as a warm up. I'm doing the challenge to push myself. I have never done a set of 20 push ups before. I really want to reach that goal.
    [/quote]

Cool. So you're ultimately working towards 1 complete set of 20 or multiple sets of 20? Either way, awesome and keep going!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    not to rain on the parade

Then don't.

everybody got they role to play
  • bmanlatour
    Options

[/quote]

Cool. So you're ultimately working towards 1 complete set of 20 or multiple sets of 20? Either way, awesome and keep going!
    [/quote]

Exactly. A set of 20 will be a huge fitness milestone for me. :smile:
  • redbellsprout66
    Options
    Starting this tomorrow for sure! My push-ups are crap! Haha
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    I find it funny that this should be unrealistic or roleplay but people doing 5-250 squat challenge, for example, wouldnt be? Every challenge I have seen is hard, hence why it is called a challenge. I think the point is to set a goal and have something to work towards. Even if half the people who do it only get halfway through, at least they did that much! I dont see any reason to rain on anyone's parade if the parade means they are being active and positive!

I'd be shocked if anyone progresses from 3 max push-ups to 20 in 30 days. It's a challenge. It's a progression. Personally it will push me harder having a structure and the accountability of reporting into the group.

Thank you for your opinion and concerns. We will survive this challenge whether we accomplish the end-goal or not.

• bmanlatour
    Options
    @awarreningermany‌ welcome aboard

I did 4 sets of 5 strict push ups and 1 set from the knees. Tough tough tough
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/core-confusion

Push ups are typically thought of as an arm/chest exercise but rate really highly as an ab activation exercise. Kinda cool read. Article tries to debunk the weight training idea that you don't need to target the abs directly.
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm in :) This is going to be a great challenge for me!
  • Welcome aboard, jan112! I finished my Day 3 today. 5 modified push-ups down! Woo-hoo! I think tomorrow is a break from all my effort.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What about the rest of the body?
  • What about the rest of the body?

My body or yours?

Do whatever else suits you, man. Lemme guess...cycling? Skiing? Rock climbing?

Yesterday I lifted and snowshoed, today I ran and later will play volleyball.
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    What about the rest of the body?

My method is adding it to my existing weight training routine which I do 4-5 days per week. You can do whatever you like. It's not that structured.
  • abbycassidy1
    Options
    going to start tomorrow!
  • bmanlatour
    Options
    Enjoy your rest day everyone! Unless you started later. For you, get back to work!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just the other day I was told how pushups are my friend if I want to rock it at Tough Mudder. I'm an absolute beginner at push ups (as in, I struggle to even keep a flat back and get all the way to the ground when I'm doing KNEE pushups!) You would think being a woman would give you that little cheat space for getting to the ground, but nope. Zero upper body strength here, and that needs to change! I'm down for giving this a shot! I'll start tonight when I get home from work! :)