I quit smoking while dieting..

Options
It's been 3 weeks since I've had a cigarette and I was just reading that 80% of people gain 15lbs when they quit smoking.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and what they did to compensate. I have noticed my weight loss is moving at a much slower pace than previously but I had been attributing it to other factors.

Obviously I'm not going to start smoking again but I would like to speed things back up.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I quit shortly before I started losing weight - I didn't gain an ounce though, and I think it was because I was hyper aware of what I was replacing the smoking with (as in, not eating when I had a craving). I've lost 70 pounds since then. Give your body a bit of time to adjust - you can do it! And good for you for quitting!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I had no problem losing an initial 30+ pounds when I quit smoking ... without actively counting or restricting calories. My first post-smoking goal was to run a Marathon. The Full Monte - 26.2 miles ... so I just started running regularly and the weight started coming off, no diet. Over 30 pounds in the first 6 months without even trying to lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit in July and haven't gained a thing.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Good job for quitting. I know how hard it is as I quit about 5 years ago. I think that most people substitute eating for cravings and that's the cause for weight gain
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit a year and a half ago, and I def ate my cravings. I didn't worry about it though, I figure quitting smoking is more important. Once I hit 100 days smoke free, I joined MFP.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed reviews on it previously. I've heard it's your appetite that it changes then I heard that it slows your metabolism.
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I quit a couple of years ago and gained about 20lbs (I wasn't overweight at all when I quit). This was because I probably ate more sugary snacks without realising. I think you feel an"emptiness" when you stop smoking and you want to fill that with something, usually food! I've heard smoking increases metabolism but not sure how much truth is in this. I've lost 15lbs of my gained weight so far so I'm on track to get back to my "smoking weight" but in hindsight, I wish I had been stricter with myself from the start. Well done on stopping.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I quit too...smoking and haven't gained any either...mind you I am using a vaporizer..but it's not smoking.

Lots of time people gain because instead of smoking they are eating or they find after a time food does taste better or or or...just eat in a deficit you will continue to lose...

Oh congrats on quitting.

And yes your metabolism is a micro amount faster when smoking as it raises heart rate and blood pressure etc but not enough to make you gain 15lbs without eating more.

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I took Chantix to help me quit smoking, maybe the chemicals that help block the pleasure of smoking from registering also blocked my intense hand-to-mouth habit that kept food out of my mouth.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    The first time I quit, I ate my cravings for sure! 165 to 210 lbs! Eek!
    The second time, I switched to vaping, and I've stayed on track, and lost 30 lbs. so far.I would seriously suggest vaping if you think you'll go back to smoking though. I still get the nicotine fix, I can use it in the house, and a lot of the chemicals are out of it. I wouldn't say it's completely safe, but it's a heck of a lot better.
    It's way better to quit all together, and if you can hang with that, then good! But, if you can't, that's what I would do. I have zero will power with smoking.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes are notorious for appetite suppression. That is why a lot of people gain weight when they quit smoking. I quit about 8 years ago and used exercise to help curb the cravings rather than food. I've known others who use candy or food as a substitute for the smoking. Those who did that usually gained weight. It's like anything else...its all about what you choose to do with your body.

Congrats on quitting! :smiley: I know that it's a difficult thing to do.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I quit too...smoking and haven't gained any either...mind you I am using a vaporizer..but it's not smoking.

Lots of time people gain because instead of smoking they are eating or they find after a time food does taste better or or or...just eat in a deficit you will continue to lose...

Oh congrats on quitting.

And yes your metabolism is a micro amount faster when smoking as it raises heart rate and blood pressure etc but not enough to make you gain 15lbs without eating more.

I quit 2 weeks ago, also using one of those vaporisers. It feels like I'm cheating, because it feels just like having a smoke except it tastes better and minus all the chemicals.
    Smoking definitely suppressed my appetite, if I was hungry I just nipped out and had a cuppa and ciggie and I was good.

• bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I decided to go cold turkey and not use any type of nicotine. Nicotine is actually one of the most harmful chemicals in cigarettes and causes bladder cancer so I want to get rid of nicotine entirely! The first 3 days I was a whiney emotional mess haha but I'm not really worried about the quitting. Doing an intense cardio workout is what curbed my cravings!

When I had my first child I lost 25lbs in 3 months. Now after my second child it's not moving nearly as fast. Maybe it's age haha
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I need to quit. It is certainly counterproductive to my training.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

I quit 2 weeks ago, also using one of those vaporisers. It feels like I'm cheating, because it feels just like having a smoke except it tastes better and minus all the chemicals.
    Smoking definitely suppressed my appetite, if I was hungry I just nipped out and had a cuppa and ciggie and I was good.

I just got a vaporizer the other day :) So far so good. I hope to get off this eventually, too.

Re metabolism - I've read the difference is something like 200 calories (depending, obviously).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Oh congrats on quitting.

I just got a vaporizer the other day :) So far so good. I hope to get off this eventually, too.

Re metabolism - I've read the difference is something like 200 calories (depending, obviously).

Now we've got trying to quit the vaporisers to look forward to!! I sincerely hope they don't come out with some danger associated with them!
    They've already banned selling nicotine here in Australia, we have to order it from the U.S Soon they're going to ban the import of it altogether!! Why????, Because the government isn't making any money from people who quit smoking.. bloody pathetic :angry:
    sorry for the vent, Don't want to hijack this thread.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

Now we've got trying to quit the vaporisers to look forward to!! I sincerely hope they don't come out with some danger associated with them!
    They've already banned selling nicotine here in Australia, we have to order it from the U.S Soon they're going to ban the import of it altogether!! Why????, Because the government isn't making any money from people who quit smoking.. bloody pathetic :angry:

:/ that's really unfair, sorry :(
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

Oh congrats on quitting.

sorry for the vent, Don't want

Oh congrats on quitting.

That's crazy.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah. Their "excuse" is there hasn't been enough studies done on vaporisers. So they don't know if they're dangerous or not! A pack of 35 cigarettes is $26. Imagine how much money the government would be losing if more people swapped over to vaping!!?? A crap ton!
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

I don't think you're cheating by vaping. I quit through vaping as well and, even if it isn't AS good as quitting altogether, I'm happy I'm not getting all the chemicals and tar. Vaping doesn't suppress my appetite like cigarettes did though.

OP, some estimates say that a pack-a-day smoker burned about 250 calories per day because of the metabolism boost of smoking. Depending on how much you smoked, you might want to think about cutting some of your calories for the time being as an option (depending on your goals already). But if you're still losing, just at a slower pace, you're probably doing the right thing. I'm not sure how long the loss of the metabolism boost affects people.

Congratulations on quitting!