Different types of running for weight loss?

So in my journey over past year or so to lose weight I started running and do about 15-20k per week, 1 x 10k plus maybe 2 5k's or there abouts, I'm a big guy but love the fact that I can just go and run when before I couldn't even run to the end of the street!
Does anyone do different type of running for weight loss? I want to try mix it up!
Thanks

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    From a weight loss perspective, the best thing to do is simply to run more. :)

The easiest way to shake things up a little is to explore new running routes! If you've just been heading out your door or to the treadmill the whole time, why not find a path around a local park? If you're feeling adventurous, try trail running sometime! (i.e. on a dirt path rather than paved). It's pretty different than road running, much more chilled out (you go slower for the same effort), and SO much fun. From your profile pic, obviously you know how much fun races are, so sign up for more of those (money permitting)!

I also do different types of "speedwork", for example, intervals of running hard and running very very easy ("paper bag over your head pace"). However, these are counterproductive for weight loss for me, since they make me CRAZY hungry. I actually plan to eat at maintenance those days, because otherwise I'm rungry and hangry and just a bear to be around. :)

tl;dr - TRAIL RUNNING!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2015
    Someone suggested the zombie run app i think its called. Breaks it up a bit
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Someone suggested the zombie run app i think its called. Breaks it up a bit

I love this app! I've been running with it for about 2 years, starting with their 5k training app and slowly working my way up. I run typically 7 or 8 km in the mornings, but sometimes I push it to 10 or try to increase my speed. The nice thing about the Zombies, Run! app is that you can incorporate "zombie chases" to add in some interval training. I don't do that because I'm so wussy at interval training, but I swear I will eventually get there. Lol.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Running more is one option or run different. Trail or cross country running can engage more muscles in different ways than road or track running. Keep in mind that 5k of cross country > 5k on the treadmill so don't expect the same pace. Also be aware that it comes with some more risk of ruts and roots causing sprains.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Personally, while I started running to help lose weight, I'm more interested in running outcomes now, largely 10Km and HM times.

To support that I do a combination of steady paced recovery runs, long steady pace runs, tempo sessions and interval sessions.

Given that I can't eat back everything I expend, I'm losing weight.

As above, I run trails. Far more interesting and physically probably more demanding than road running.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    bobafet79 wrote: »
    So in my journey over past year or so to lose weight I started running and do about 15-20k per week, 1 x 10k plus maybe 2 5k's or there abouts, I'm a big guy but love the fact that I can just go and run when before I couldn't even run to the end of the street!
    Does anyone do different type of running for weight loss? I want to try mix it up!
    Thanks

For weight loss it's just the diet that matters. However if you want to be a better runner and have fun. Just mix it up with trail short and long runs and keep the variation
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Research Fartlek running.
  • bobafet79
    bobafet79 Posts: 12 Member
    From a weight loss perspective, the best thing to do is simply to run more. :)

The easiest way to shake things up a little is to explore new running routes! If you've just been heading out your door or to the treadmill the whole time, why not find a path around a local park? If you're feeling adventurous, try trail running sometime! (i.e. on a dirt path rather than paved). It's pretty different than road running, much more chilled out (you go slower for the same effort), and SO much fun. From your profile pic, obviously you know how much fun races are, so sign up for more of those (money permitting)!

I also do different types of "speedwork", for example, intervals of running hard and running very very easy ("paper bag over your head pace"). However, these are counterproductive for weight loss for me, since they make me CRAZY hungry. I actually plan to eat at maintenance those days, because otherwise I'm rungry and hangry and just a bear to be around. :)

tl;dr - TRAIL RUNNING!

Thanks, yea have been changing route due to running the same route for last year or now extending run by going further away from home etc, I'll look into trail running as we have lots of country side and hills etc in my area. Thanks
  • bobafet79
    Running more is one option or run different. Trail or cross country running can engage more muscles in different ways than road or track running. Keep in mind that 5k of cross country > 5k on the treadmill so don't expect the same pace. Also be aware that it comes with some more risk of ruts and roots causing sprains.

Hi, so I always run outside, I've never ran on a treadmill but would like to maybe do some trail runs, by trail you mean completely off road like through woods and parks etc? As we have a damn near us that's 5k all the way round which I've done before which is all like that and more fun than basic road running
  • Google HIIT. Would save muscles and cut fat
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Hi, so I always run outside, I've never ran on a treadmill but would like to maybe do some trail runs, by trail you mean completely off road like through woods and parks etc? As we have a damn near us that's 5k all the way round which I've done before which is all like that and more fun than basic road running

I see that you're near Glasgow, plenty of off road opportunities in the vicinity. I do an offroad HM route that has about 60% offroad, so tend to use road shoes and live with them not being best for the offroad element. I have another that I'm using for marathon training that gives me about 80% offroad so that's all using trail shoes.

I find trails to be far more stimulating mentally. Road running is fine for the base training, but it can get a bit dull.

• bobafet79

mccoybrah wrote: »
    Google HIIT. Would save muscles and cut fat

thanks
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    + another vote for trails.
    Go find some, pack up a water bottle and go. You will be amazed of the energy expenditure of trail running and it will make you such a stronger runner on the roads as well.

I wasn't a fan of hills during road races but after a season on the trails I fly up them and my body barely notices what months ago would have shot my heart rate through the roof.

Once you get your feet wet with trail running find a trail race and sign up. A huge difference you will notice is when you show up at trail races, you race people unlike roads where you race pace and splits. Makes it so much more fun and the trail community anywhere I have been has always been awesome.

But back to original question....I've seen quotes that trails burn anywhere from 1.5 to 2x the amount of cals than road running.
  • bobafet79

I see that you're near Glasgow, plenty of off road opportunities in the vicinity. I do an offroad HM route that has about 60% offroad, so tend to use road shoes and live with them not being best for the offroad element. I have another that I'm using for marathon training that gives me about 80% offroad so that's all using trail shoes.

I find trails to be far more stimulating mentally. Road running is fine for the base training, but it can get a bit dull.

Yea I Live in Stirling which has loads of different trails and been on line this evening checking some out there is a route that has race's through summer also there is some other areas near me which I didn't even know about before tonight!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2015
    I just run away from food
  • bobafet79
    edited February 2015
    congvo wrote: »
    I just run away from food

:smile:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    mccoybrah wrote: »
    Google HIIT. Would save muscles and cut fat
    Whatever.

OP, just do the exercise that you are most likely to continue doing. That's the exercise that works the best. If you want to do HIIT, then do it. Great exercise. If you want to focus more on endurance then do that. Also a great exercise.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/HIITvsCardio.html
  • Sas_Man
    Sas_Man Posts: 4 Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from, before I started running I could barely walk one block! Now I can average about 2 miles in 30 minutes.

When I say running, I mean a walk/run program to build up to a full 30 minutes of running.

The keys I have found for me are running consistently and changing up where I run, and when. I second (or third or wherever we are on it) trail running. It's awesome to get out in nature and not have to worry about cars and traffic, but I need a fairly level route right now. Any sort of big hill is my kryptonite!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Sas_Man wrote: »
    I totally understand where you are coming from, before I started running I could barely walk one block! Now I can average about 2 miles in 30 minutes.

When I say running, I mean a walk/run program to build up to a full 30 minutes of running.

The keys I have found for me are running consistently and changing up where I run, and when. I second (or third or wherever we are on it) trail running. It's awesome to get out in nature and not have to worry about cars and traffic, but I need a fairly level route right now. Any sort of big hill is my kryptonite!

Knock those hills out! Do them til you love them. If you start doing foot races, the first time you motor up the hill others struggle with, you'll love hills ... :) or, in the alternative, I am just a crazy XC type who was brainwashed about attacking hills in high school.
  • bobafet79
    Same with hills, I can do them but they are a killer, just back from a short run there just under 4k which was half road then took a diff route to cover off some fields and through some woodland, almost tripped a few times so need to watch my footing