Running Question

Options
Ok I have question-I like to run, but I never can run at any type of distance, I do something where I run 2 min walk 2 min, for about 35 min. This is really all I can do- I am dying after. I maybe could get up to 3 min, but I would be totally dying. I have been working out consistatly for a year and 2 mo. So I know i am "in shape" well sort of :) Is it cause I am still carrying the weight? It is getting easier as I go down in weight, but still I really don't think I could run a mile straight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One obstacle could be your speed. You may be going too fast to keep up for longer distances. Slow down and see how much further you can go.

Another is the mental aspect. Even after getting myself up to regular half marathon distances for my long runs I quite often feel just awful during that first mile or two, like I can't go any further. Just keep running, run in spite of that feeling, don't stop.

I was doing just like you when I signed up for my first 10k. I had not yet run a full mile. I was running for a few minutes, then walking. But I was regularly going 6 miles total so I signed up for a 10k just to scratch it off the bucket list, so to say. I planned on doing my run/walk routine at that 10k, no concerns whatsoever.

I started towards the back of the pack knowing I was clearly not a fast runner, let alone going to run the whole way. This helped because I was pacing myself with these slower runners. When the race started and I reached the point where I would normally start walking I saw everyone around me still running and thought I would go further, as far as I could. I kept going, and before long I was at mile 3. At that point I kept going to see how far I could make it. I finished the whole 10k running. I was tired, and sore for a couple days. But I did it. It proved a lot to me.

I am positive it would have taken longer to reach that point without the race, having others to pace myself with, and to make my brain think it could go farther than that person next to me who is slowing down or starting to walk, etc. Had I just kept up on my walk/run routine, I have no idea how long it would have been before I ran that first mile. But since then, I am pushing further and further.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can do it, running is all mental. Just go a little farther each time and remember to slow it down. Unless your legs literally did collapse underneath you when you ran 2 mins, you can definitely do 5 min. Try it :) Once you can do 5 mins, try 6 or 7.

You feel like you're dying, but you'd be surprised how far you can run once you realize it won't actually kill you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you're probably going too fast. Slow down and try holding a slower pace for longer.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program. There's a bunch of apps out there on it, and the program is designed to make run/walking turn into running consistently. And I agree with the posters above, slow down if you're gasping for air. You should be able to hold a conversation at your easy pace.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well I am only running at 4.8-5.0 so I am not going fast at all. Well I guess maybe for me it maybe too fast. I did the couch to 5 k and I got up to the 5 min week, I think like week 7 and then I stopped. I mean I know weight does not totally matter, but I feel I should be able to run more- I was 284 and now am 213- I know 213 is still a hefty load to carry- maybe I need more weight traning-core, legs?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Slow down, you're going faster than you can maintain, so you're going too fast.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    4.8 to 5.0 is probably too fast if you are new and overweight. I started overweight and out of shape new to running. I didn't regularly start running 5.0 mph for 3-4 miles until several months after starting, and after I had done my first half marathon. I ran my half marathon at over 13 mins/mile, finished at 3 hours 9 seconds. I trained my butt of to get that distance down and finsih at that pace. I think I can do it faster now and am looking forward to my next half, hoping to get it in the 12:30/mile range. Still slower than 5mph even now for that distance. I can however do a 5k at 10:30/mile.
  • Sas_Man
    Sas_Man Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's awesome advice about pace and speed grimmeanor! I found what helped me was running with others. Having someone with me makes me want to push a little harder and run for a little bit longer. When I don't have someone with me (because that is not always possible) I notice less motivation to keep going.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes - do a jog not a run. Then when you can do that consistently do intervals. You're actually doing intervals now, but it's not benefitting you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps. Make a conscious effort to go a little longer/a little further tomorrow. Maybe try a 2:15-2:30 run with a 2:00 walk, continue that for a couple of days, and then add a little more time to each run over time. Eventually you will get there, but it won't necessarily be easy--you might have to push yourself (not to the point of injury) a little bit.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think slow it down would help. Maybe try running with a heart rate monitor- trying to keep your heart rate within a target zone instead of maintaining a pace?

When I do couch to 5k- I rarely go above 3.5 or 3.7mph for a pace. I can run at 4.5-5mph but found that I lost my breath too quickly and couldn't get passed about a minute in length before my breath gave out on me. When I slow it down, I can see my endurance increase over the course of the program. Mostly I pick 3.5mph on my treadmill because its a pace I can both walk and jog at and then I don't have to keep switching the setting, its not a recommendation. Once you get the endurance where you want to be, then focus on increasing your pace?
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I started jogging last May at 296 lbs going about 4mph fo 30 min straight. I got plantar fascitis.

After listening to a couple of Dr. recommendations, I did this program http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

I felt like such a faker, going for only 1 min jogging at a time in the first week, but over 2 months I built up to 30 minutes continuous jogging, and my plantar fascitis resolved (taking a multivitamin and stretching helped).

So, in September I weight 250 lbs and was going 4.5 mph for 30 minutes straight. I wanted to go faster so I could log it as a jog/run instead of very fast walk. I started lurking running threads.

I found I liked the interval format (makes the jog less boring), so I included faster intervals. I started out doing 1 min with four steps per breath (44 breaths), then 2 min easy jog, building up to 8 intervals/30 min jog. I then added a 30 sec 3 steps/breath to each interval (about 30 breaths at higher intensity). Now I'm doubling up the length of each part of the interval for 6 out of 8 of my intervals in 30 min - 2x 44 4-step breaths, 2x 30 3-step breaths 1 min easy jog.

Speed can be built by distance. I do two interval runs and 1 distance run a week. I'm building up the distance run by 10% of duration/week so long as the last increase went well. On Monday I weighed 171 lbs and did 8 km at 5.2 mph.

Nutrition makes a difference. I was trying to eat between 1000-1200 calories a day in Oct/Nov, and couldn't get any faster on my jogs. Now I'm trying to get at least 1200 calories/day it's a lot easier. I've tried running fasted but I didn't like it very much :( I'm also eating a 100 cal sugary treat before my jogs, with an extra 50 calories 1/2 way through my long jog. Extra calories aren't necessary before 30 minute jogs, but they really improve the quality of the jog for me (I get quite the sugar rush).

I've heard hills are good for building speed, but there aren't a lot of them on my route...

The key for running longer for me was to go more slowly. 70% of effort unless I am doing the 1 min 3-breath sprints. I just can't keep up 100% effort for very long...

It is possible to jog at a higher weight. Keep at it, and you will find what works for you. Best wishes :)
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your tips! I thought I was going super slow at 4.8-5.0 but now I see that I was "running" at that speed and not jogging. I will slow it down and see how far I can go I usually walk at 3.8 so like the other post said I could jog/walk at the same speed and it would be easier . I will give that a try. Yah I feel my heart and breathing is good, prob from doing cardio for over a year now straight, I think this speed thing may do it. Thanks again!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your tips! I thought I was going super slow at 4.8-5.0 but now I see that I was "running" at that speed and not jogging.

It's all runnning, it's just a question of a sustainable pace. Your priority is running for the period, so use a pace that allows you to do so.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your tips! I thought I was going super slow at 4.8-5.0 but now I see that I was "running" at that speed and not jogging.

It's all runnning, it's just a question of a sustainable pace. Your priority is running for the period, so use a pace that allows you to do so.

Exactly.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thanks ! I never thought of going slower, I thought I was already moving like a turtle! :)
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump on your thread, but all this advice about going slower is making me wonder why I find it so difficult to do just that?
    I'm "running" again after finishing C25K last summer and then not really running since (I didn't get up to 5k, but I *did* get to 30mins solid running).
    I'm currently running til I'm too out of breath to keep it up, walking for up to a minute, and running again. I set out slowly. I try to pace myself. But I simply can't manage to run for more than about 4-5 minutes.

So how do I actually slow down? I feel like if I go any slower, I'll be doing one of those slow-mo film scenes!
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    yah good point. Would it be more of like a shuffle..I am going to try it tonight-
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked @ your stride/landing?

Check this out. I was amazed how much form helped me increase endurance & reduce pain.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos/166-forefoot-versus-midfoot-versus-heel-strike
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Lot of good advice on going a lot slower.

Also I know for me working on my posterior chain really helped with all the issues were I needed a little break mid run.