military diet

Options
2»

Replies

• stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I spent 27 + years in the military and can tell you that eating balanced meals and increasing fruits and veggies is the "military diet" not anything that will make you lose 10lbs in 3 days. It's not good for you and it's not sustainable.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You'll lose some water weight and maybe a little fat. You'll gain most of that back within days of stopping. There's a chance you'll over do it coming off the restrictive diet, so you'll gain the fat back too (possibly plus some). If you do this over and over again you'll start burning lean mass, which will reduce your BMR and make it harder to maintain weight loss long term.

I was in the military. The real military diet is three well balanced meals and a solid day of hard work followed by a long run.

boom-o.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's just a VLCD with "military" slapped onto the name to give it legitimacy. The whole food pairing thing is complete bunk. You lose water weight, some muscle, and a little fat because you're eating very few calories, and that's all.

Just be reasonable and patient. This is going to take some time.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    It can't be a military diet if chili mac isn't on the menu.

and rehydrated eggs
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    military diet? you mean the 5k calorie MRE - yes please
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's called the Military Diet for people in the military trying to lose weight fast for their weigh ins. I remember doing this diet once about 20 years ago and it was the most depressing, blandest 3 days of my life. I probably lost weight but then gained it right back. There is no quick fix. Just eat at a calorie deficit and eat stuff you love, in moderation.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's called the Military Diet for people in the military trying to lose weight fast for their weigh ins. I remember doing this diet once about 20 years ago and it was the most depressing, blandest 3 days of my life. I probably lost weight but then gained it right back. There is no quick fix. Just eat at a calorie deficit and eat stuff you love, in moderation.

No.

It's just a quick fix that has had several other names over the years, including the Mayo Clinic Diet and the Fax Diet.

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I was in the military. The real military diet is three well balanced meals and a solid day of hard work followed by a long run.

Me too and I agree with you, I looked at this diet and it is not sustainable. I want to try Weight Watchers again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »

Me too and I agree with you, I looked at this diet and it is not sustainable. I want to try Weight Watchers again.

As a WW member of 18+ years, I can honestly say I like MFP better. Getting used to logging vegies was the biggest pain of it, but its free and really works. Very similar principles.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »

You know that weight watchers is just like MFP. It's a way to count calories, but you have to pay for them to set it up for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why would you even want to do that to yourself???????????
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    It doesn't work. Don't waste your time using it. Instead, just eat right, exercise, and watch your calories and portions.
  • mdgardens
    Options

My sister just finished with a 9# weight loss. I'm on day two- I realize this is a fad and such, but to me, it's given me a nice little motivational jump start watching the scale go down, so for me- it has its benefits and I am enjoying a nice little jump start
  • vbenoit81
    Options
    I wouldn't bother doing this. The only true fire ways to lose weight is eat right and exercise. Eat and stick to protein, veggies, fruits, and water only. Trying to cut corners thinking eating this one thing, taking this one supplement, and what not is never going to get you to where you want to be. Don't waste your money or time.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    NO!!!!

This!!!

I was in the military and ate a military diet (3 square meals a day plus morning and afternoon tea). Also, I ran everywhere the whole day long.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    She's gone guys, obviously wasn't interested in answers that didn't agree with her.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Water come off - Water come on

It's almost Zen in it's simplicity
    245112 Posts: 13
    Options
    Only real MILITARY DIET IS AS FOLLOWS 3 NUTRITIOUS MEALS as per Canada Food Guide & A PROPER PORTION (DON'T OVER EAT).....................THEN A GOOD WORK-OUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All your going to do is continue doing a YO-YO Diet...........................SEMPER FI...............