30 Day Shred tips?

Options
I've tried it before but only got to the second whole day after starting over several times because I kept having to stop because I felt like I was going to throw up. Today I tried to start over after over a month (I've been walking so my cardio is a bit better) and my arm muscles just cramped up so bad I couldn't finish. I'm going to try to finish it in a bit but I don't see how I can get through level one. I can't find much about other people struggling like this, am I just that weak? In her video, Jillian even says that she's had 400 lb people do it. That makes me feel pretty crappy. What are some things I can do to get good results with this despite being so weak?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I think saying even 400 pounds people is misleading.. maybe get the beginner shred. I did ripped in 30. It.was tough and I have been really active with running and.fitness classes.
  • gemma1675
    gemma1675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What weights are you using, maybe you're starting too high? Reduce weight and keep trying! It is tough.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have to work out on an empty stomach otherwise I feel like I'm going to throw up regardless of the workout that I do. I would say don't try to go balls out your until you feel that you are ready to really go for it. Do the modifications and ease your way up to the standard moves. You can do Level 1 as long as you like until you feel comfortable enough to move onto Level 2. Ideally we would all love to jump in, balls out, and ready to take on Jillian's workouts but that's just not realistic. Listen to your body!
  • Conquer14
    Conquer14 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you have to stop and take a break, do it. I take like a 20 second break if I have to. I re-started today. I cannot do it nonstop. Haven't done the 30 Day Shred since a year ago. Never made it past the first day of level 2. Hurt myself and took a week to get better and I just just quit. Definitely try using lighter weights. I use 2lb weights but need some 3lb weights.
  • nekoyaz
    nekoyaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have weights so I was just using water bottles. (Yeah I'm that weak DX) And I did day two and had to take several breaks. Still didn't make it all the way to the end before I started feeling really nauseous but I did get way further than I did yesterday. Maybe I'll be able to do the whole thing in one go tomorrow.
  • beckifitzg
    beckifitzg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what I'm talking about but I would say just do what you can and work your way up until you can do it all.
    As for the jumping jacks, on a bad day I struggle with them! I struggled with the arm windmills in the warm up to start with to.
    I do it at my own speed instead of keeping up with them and as I go on I hope I will be able to match them.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The first days are by far the hardest, so if you make it through those you can finish it all.

Do the modifications - I forget if she has some, but there should be low-impact options for *everything*. If not, I can suggest some. Instead of jumping jacks, do the same arms but just tap one foot out to the side at a time. Feel free to PM me if you want some other suggestions.
    -
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did this for a year stay with the easier version to start with & work your way up and she only states I've got 400lb people that can do jump on jacks so can you that's the only reference she makes regarding weight in the whole DVD as there is no modified version if that excercise
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 25 of 30. I've had the DVD for four years, tried to numerous times and gave up, this is my first time all the way through, level 1 gets easier after day three, level 2 and three are a little harder.

I would try and push yourself to do the advanced but don't hurt yourself, if you genuinely cannot do it, then dont, take a break.

It's a good, non time consuming workout, just do as much as you can :) xxx
  • kateymorse
    kateymorse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since the beginning of January and just moved to level 2. Actually I'm alternating between 1&2 so I don't over do it. Take your time building into it. Do it for a couple days and take a day off. I only do it 4 or 5 times a week. You will get stronger! It's okay to do the reps slower. Form is more important than keeping up with the girls on the DVD. Do as much as you can of that exercise and then move on to the next set. You can do it! :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My strategies for any workout video that is a big challenge:
    • Choose the easy modifications.
    • Don't go as far into moves.
    • Substitute some other exercise entirely if need be. (Rather than stopping, or hurting yourself with something you can't even do the modification for, for whatever reason)
    • Go at half pace or even slower. (Maybe you can only do 1 pushup for every 5 the trainer does. Do it.)
    • If you lose your breath, stop and walk side to side until you can rejoin.
    • Don't do anything if your form isn't perfect. Work on form at your own pace while the video people work on the exercise at their pace.
    • Do it without the weights. (Remember to create some of your own resistance, meaning don't say, swing your arms using momentum, use your muscles.)

Every time you do the video, you will notice improvements, and you'll get excited. "Wow, I've never finished that set before!" or "Usually I'm out of breath here... but I'm not!" Showing up to work out and staying even if you get frustrated or need to change a lot is still showing commitment and drive and will get you places.

And you WILL progress. It'll be at your own pace, and that's fine. Progress is all that matters.

On nausea: This can be lots of things. Pushing too hard. Pushing yourself very hard. Eating too close before your workout. Not eating close enough to your workout. (Everyone is different!) Drinking too much water just before or during your workout (I have to avoid this, and it's why you see athletes spit their drinks).

That said! There are TONS of amazing free workouts on YouTube. You can keep tackling 30 DS with these (and others') suggestions, or you can find some videos that are more of a doable challenge for you, and try it again in awhile.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of the above! And, be patient with yourself! That is a HARD workout and every time you do it you'll be better! Be proud of every time you try!!! You'll get there!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You can always try the beginner 30day shred. Its still hard but every time you do it will get easier. And i think it's important to choose a workout youll actually be able to do, so you complete it and show up the next time to so it. Maybe its just not for you right now. You can always use youtube for easier workouts. Its important to have confidence in a workout. It should be challenging, but you should feel capable. Find something you love!