Eccentric Dips working up to full dips - Has anyone had success with this?

Options
Hey there. Positive responses only - not looking to be told I'm doing something "wrong" - just need some encouragement. Thanks. Skim down to the paragraph that ends in ** to read less.

I started at the gym several months ago and have been really slowly increasing my weights (which is fine with me and what I need to do right now).

I was interested in doing dips but hadn't done them before.

This is how I've progressed so far:

Started off by using my legs and jumping into the arms extended position. I would hold myself there for 12 seconds and then just quickly go back down to the risers. I would do 1 set of 3 reps.

Then I started relying on my legs less and arms more to get in the up position, but definitely not all arms, hold for 12 and lower more slowly to riser - same set/rep as above.

Then I would still use legs but arms more to get up, hold for 12, lower as far as I could (which likely wasn't with arms at 90 degrees) and push back up, hold for 12 then lower as slowly as I could to riser. I'd do that once and then the last 2 ups I'd just hold in the extended position for 12 seconds.

I now am up to using mostly arms to get me up from starting position (but that is with my feet on the risers so my arms are more open than 90 degrees), I do the hold for 12, down as far as I can and up 1x then up from riser and hold extended for 12 2x.

Yesterday I attempted to lower from extended (after holding for 12 seconds) all the way down to 90 degree - but once down there it was like gravity just sucked me down and I had no chance of getting back up.

So I then tried starting from the floor (or a lower riser) so that my arms were bent at 90 degrees and just holding myself in the bent position for 12...but that was really hard. I think this is where I need to practice though...has anyone else actually practiced that part of dips...by starting in the 90 degree position and just holding there?**

**This is really what I want to know...if folks practice just holding this bottom portion of the dip.

I'm a 5'7" 168# woman.

Thanks!

~M.C. Turtle

Replies

• Just popping this up at a different time. Found some stuff online that seems good. I'll likely start doing eccentric pull ups soon too.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Doing eccentrics (negatives) are definitely helpful to building up to the real thing, whether it be push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc.. Static holds? Probably but I'm guessing not as much. Holding a position will generally help you improve at ...holding a position. Generally to get better at something you want to perform the same ROM. Another good idea is assisted movements. For example, an assisted dip machine or resistance bands (or even a slingshot, which I prefer). It will let you do the full ROM but just give you a helping hand. That's how I worked up to pull-ups, with just a resistance band.
  • Thanks!
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used resistance bands to work up to non assisted dips. I just find negatives to be so boring ☺
  • So, are there special resistance bands for pull ups? I'd be using the pull-up bar at my local gym which is mounted on a universal type machine. It's the bar that is fairly long with the ends bent down. There is no assist pull-up machine there.

I'll ask if they have some or allow it or what. I'd be alone...it there a way to easily attach the bands to the bar.

I'll seek some online videos for this to see if it's how I picture it...under bent knees?

Thank you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Slow negatives are very good to build strength. I wouldn't to the holds at the top as much. At least not when doing a serious negative workout. Holds at the top of a dip certainly have their place. Especially if you do so as part of a hollow hold in that position. Keep them, just separate them from the negatives.

Bands loop thru themselves and easily attach to a pull up bar. You can also use them for dips, just may have to tinker with attachment points.
  • I did find some videos on using bands. Seems pretty straight forward. I totally know I'm gonna have a knee slip out at least once and have the band smack my face or something.

I was only familiar with the straight bands...not the circular bands. Now I understand.

Any recommendations for the brand or strength?

I flux between 162-169, I can comfortably pull down and hold 50 lbs on the lat pull down machine...the one that has the interchangeable grip and just hangs on one cable and I'm close to holding 60 lbs.

On the Cybex Lat Pulldown I can fairly comfortably pull down 90 lbs.

I'm totally fine with progressing very slowly so having a band that can support me quite a bit is cool.

Cool idea for using them for the dips also, thanks!
  • Thanks again, everyone!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I did find some videos on using bands. Seems pretty straight forward. I totally know I'm gonna have a knee slip out at least once and have the band smack my face or something.

I was only familiar with the straight bands...not the circular bands. Now I understand.

Any recommendations for the brand or strength?

I flux between 162-169, I can comfortably pull down and hold 50 lbs on the lat pull down machine...the one that has the interchangeable grip and just hangs on one cable and I'm close to holding 60 lbs.

On the Cybex Lat Pulldown I can fairly comfortably pull down 90 lbs.

I'm totally fine with progressing very slowly so having a band that can support me quite a bit is cool.

Cool idea for using them for the dips also, thanks!

They make specific bands for pull-ups like this: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fitness-Pullup-Exercise-Equipment/dp/B00BFCWA1E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8

Your foot goes through it and therefore is basically impossible to slip.
  • Thanks, man!