v8 Splash

Options
tflyswagg
tflyswagg Posts: 52 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I typically drink only water these days as soda is the biggest reason I feel I had gained as much as I did. I also am teaching my kids healthier alternatives, then I noticed V8 Splash is basically high fructose corn syrup. Does any one drink it? That is one ingredient I have decided to cut out as much as possible!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't like my vegetables tasting like fruit.
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    I have the V8 original cans, those are supposed to be good for you before meals but the actual fruit drinks they are selling I read the labels and its no better than most other juices.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a bottle in my fridge. There is no mention of "high fructose corn syrup"(at least not that I see). I wouldn't care if there was, but the bottle I have does have Sucralose (last listed ingredient).
    ib4avfj7adcf.jpg
    edit: no clue why that is sideways...I did add it from my phone.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly water, and coffee. Sometimes tea. My kids used to drink this v8 splash but then they stopped drinking it. I encourage them to drink water more than anything. My older 2 drink water. Youngest is addicted to ginger ale. Lol
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    I have a bottle in my fridge. There is no mention of "high fructose corn syrup"(at least not that I see). I wouldn't care if there was, but the bottle I have does have Sucralose (last listed ingredient).
    ib4avfj7adcf.jpg
    edit: no clue why that is sideways...I did add it from my phone.

The Berry blend I have in my fridge has High Fructose Corn syrup listed as the second ingredient. Maybe some don't have it, like you might have fruit fusions but even today in the peanut butter aisle. Jiffy had two " different" low sodium or special types but iI stared at the ingredients and the labels looked identical. I just am more cautious about everything, just because it says diet or whatnot doesn't mean its beneficial. MFP when you scan things you learn a lot too! It's been a learning process for me so far!
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I drink mostly water, and coffee. Sometimes tea. My kids used to drink this v8 splash but then they stopped drinking it. I encourage them to drink water more than anything. My older 2 drink water. Youngest is addicted to ginger ale. Lol
    Me too! Tons of water and I have been drinking oolong tea for a week now, I love it! Two of my kids love water but my middle child always needs encouraging!

• PinkandBlack87
    Options
    If you can make your own juice is a much better option, but eating the actual fruit and veggies is best. I drink pitchers of water I squeeze fresh lemon and lime in. I have a 20oz glass I drink from and with every glass I put 2 packets of splenda. Artificial sweeteners still are not the best but it helps make the water a little sweeter. I have also pureed strawberries in my lemon lime water that is good as well
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    If you can make your own juice is a much better option, but eating the actual fruit and veggies is best. I drink pitchers of water I squeeze fresh lemon and lime in. I have a 20oz glass I drink from and with every glass I put 2 packets of splenda. Artificial sweeteners still are not the best but it helps make the water a little sweeter. I have also pureed strawberries in my lemon lime water that is good as well
    That sounds good, I added lemon and then I went through a cucumber phase. Now I just drink it on my own. It doesn't bother me like it once did. I just like to have a few options sometimes for lunch or dinner, even then I pour a half of a cup and have my water there for backup. I don't ever want to feel bloated or puffy like I did a year ago from excessive soda thank goodness I'm not a drinker, I can't imagine people who drink soda and alcohol what they are doing to their organs-_-.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    One splash of juice in the whole bottle sounds more like it. If they're reading age, this may be a good time to tell them the difference between "juice" and "juice drinks" which is usually between eighty and ninetysomething percent of the container.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The high fructose corn syrup content changes depending on what country you're in. In Canada, most products simply have sugar. (I believe the government regulates high fructose corn syrup...) In my travels to the US, I've noticed that a variation of corn syrup seems to be in EVERYTHING. In my opinion, its probably why some of our food tastes so different... even though they are the same products from the same companies.

It might be worth looking into some imported products.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Off topic but in response to the above poster, in my grocery store the only place to get soda made with actual sugar as opposed to corn syrup is in the "ethnic" aisle. (It's with the Mexican food) I was like WTF?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The corn lobby is extremely powerful and HFCS is in nearly EVERYTHING here in the US--this is why I shop at Whole Foods as much as possible!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And now you see labels declaring "No HFCS!" But if you look at the ingredients there is a clone of HFCS right there..have to be careful with that if you want to cut HFCS out of your diet.

http://act.credoaction.com/sign/chex_hfcs
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Off topic but in response to the above poster, in my grocery store the only place to get soda made with actual sugar as opposed to corn syrup is in the "ethnic" aisle. (It's with the Mexican food) I was like WTF?

Actually, I lived in Mexico before. Some of the grocery stores sell "Made in Mexico" coke but it is not, i know the taste so I used to buy the glass bottles only from the Mexican stores. However, Pepsi has a lot of cans of "made with real sugar" soda has got me where I am today-_- I avoid it 98% of the time now. Even coca-cola's water Dasani has the worst PH ever. This company could afford the BEST filtering system if they wanted but instead they cut corners by selling you what you can get from the sink.
  • tflyswagg
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    And now you see labels declaring "No HFCS!" But if you look at the ingredients there is a clone of HFCS right there..have to be careful with that if you want to cut HFCS out of your diet.

http://act.credoaction.com/sign/chex_hfcs

Yeah, must contain Low fructose corn syrup lol! I been seeing what foods have proven effective for others and stick with the basics. Packaged foods can be decieving.