Why

Options
I have been exercising everyday 30 mins weight loss on the elliptical eating right not eRing more than 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories so from jan 5 thru feb 5 I lost 19lbs was really really happy feeling better today I weighed my self almoSt 3 weeks later and I haven't lost a single pound I haven't cheated I'm on that elliptical 6 day a week and doing sit-ups and planks daily and weights every other day so what happened I though people didn't loose weight after 6 months not 2 frustrated

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food properly? I was struggling to get to 1200 calories a day until I got some scales. Then I realised just how much more I've been eating. I was waaaaayyyyy underestimating. Weight loss comes from the kitchen. Not the gym
    Are your clothes looser? Do you feel healthier?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Be really careful about weighing and measuring your food, eating as fresh of food as you can, and the weight will come off. Everybody hits a plateau even when they're doing everything right. Your body is busy making a lot of adjustments. It's kind of like archery.
    Before the arrow can fly forward, it has to be pulled back.
  • willowmayfarm
    Options
    Thank u ladies I do weigh everything and I don't put anything in my mouth without checking it out on here first I cook all my meals and eat plenty of veg not to much fruit I guess I thought the weight would come off 1-2 lbs per week I don't normally check the scale but it had been 4 weeks so checked it just frustrating to find nothing had moved in almost 4 weeks I am fitter and don't feel like a sausage in my clothes lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing, you don't know how much you're eating.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are you certain about the calories you are burning doing your workouts? As your fitness level improves you will burn less doing the same workout, because it is less of a workout for a fit body. You should use a heart rate monitor to get an accurate count of workout calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been on a scale for several weeks, there are other factors to consider which could be masking weight loss. TOM, increased sodium intake the day before, etc. can all increase water retention and the scale number will not show much difference. If you clothing is fitting better don't worry about it too much. Try the scale again in a week.

Depending height, weight, and age, and overall deficit it may not be reasonable to expect a 1-2lb weekly loss. The important thing is that you are feeling better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising everyday 30 mins weight loss on the elliptical eating right not eRing more than 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories so from jan 5 thru feb 5 I lost 19lbs was really really happy feeling better today I weighed my self almoSt 3 weeks later and I haven't lost a single pound I haven't cheated I'm on that elliptical 6 day a week and doing sit-ups and planks daily and weights every other day so what happened I though people didn't loose weight after 6 months not 2 frustrated

You lost 19 pounds in 30 days and you only have 21 pounds to lose. That's way too fast because you don't have that much to lose.

Weight loss is not linear, and weight naturally fluctuates. Set your goals up to lose a half pound a week, weigh and log your food, and eat within your calorie goal. Not everyone will agree with me, but I advise you to eat at least half of your exercise calories back.

That said, in a few weeks if you find your weight not moving at all, I suggest looking at the possibility that you are eating too much. This usually happens from improper logging of calories in and inaccurate logging of calories burned.

Good luck!

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Be really careful about weighing and measuring your food, eating as fresh of food as you can, and the weight will come off. Everybody hits a plateau even when they're doing everything right. Your body is busy making a lot of adjustments. It's kind of like archery.

The only reason a person should eat lost of fresh food is because they like it. Otherwise, it has not bearing on weight loss.

Weight will come off only if you eat less calories than you burn.

Plateau is just another word for eating too much. This is often unintentional.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    As long as you exercise more and eat less, it will work every time. I've hit a few plateaus myself, and they all were generated by me stopping exercising and eating too much. You have to be honest with yourself and what you are eating and how much you are exercising. It's very easy to overestimate the calories you burn and underestimate the calories you eat. For instance, I eat four or five sugar-free cough drops a day. They are each 10 calories, and that's 50 calories I didn't even think to log in. If you really want to lose weight, you will find a way. Bottom line: Eat less, move more.
  • willowmayfarm
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    SLLRunner wrote: »

The only reason a person should eat lost of fresh food is because they like it. Otherwise, it has not bearing on weight loss.

Weight will come off only if you eat less calories than you burn.

Plateau is just another word for eating too much. This is often unintentional.

• willowmayfarm
    Options
    I monitor every thing I eat I am always between 300 and 500 calories under my daily allowance I have an elliptical with 10 different settings I use a different one each 10 I do 10 planks holding for 5 seconds 120 sits ups in different positions and little weights 3lbs every other day. I do have a frozen left shoulder that doesn't stop my cardio but the us why I can't do more weights I am 49 this year female 5 8 1/2 and weigh 178 I would like to be down at 155 seems such a long way away but I'm in the for the long haul I eat wisely and do not cheat I will just have to find a different system for me
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I don't mean to come across as snarky, but did you read my posting above?

You are losing weight. Weight loss is not linear. You need to be patient.

You don't have that much to lose. It will not just roll off.

That said, do you weigh your food and log everything you eat? There are too many different ways to monitor, but unless you weigh and log you will not know how many calories your are eating.