Check out this "expert" advise! "Counting calories is bad!"

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If knowing the number of calories you consume somehow "stressful" in ANY way to you, then you've got bigger problems than weight that NO diet is EVERY gonna fix. Seek professional help immediately. You're gonna need it.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stress and anxiety it can cause when I see those red numbers that tell you you've gone over for the day....

That is a feature I wish MFP would GET RID OF. I don't know how it makes everyone else feel, but for myself having experienced a poor relationship with food in the past... it can sometimes make me feel anxious. I bet it's way worse for those with EDs or ED history
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    natacha305 wrote: »
    ive always believed that counting calories is not THE ONLY way to loose. look up Jonathan Bailor's Book " The Calorie Myth"

basically our bodies do not work like simple math (calories in, calories out) we cant put a number of how much food we should eat. All of us are different and burn calories differently. this one system of eating 1200 per day cant work for everyone.

I Urge you all just to watch his short video, i eat all the food i love and im not limited to "eating clean" I wasnt put on this earth to never eat things that actually taste good, i add butter and FLAVOR to my food, i just choose my foods wisely.

I definitely believe that we should eat more to loose more, not eat less and exercise more? that doesnt make sense. If we are exercising more we must fuel our bodies more.

http://sanesolution.com/

He makes a good point but I actually follow Mark Sission from www.Marksdailyapple.com he encourages eating a high fat diet which is what I do and it works... and im not starving. feel free to add me.

And I urge you to stop the Shenanigans.

Physics doesn't bend to your personal whims and urges.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It's important to know that there are many ways to lose weight successfully. Calorie counting works for a lot of people. It doesn't work for me because the controling and regimented aspect of it triggers me to binge (clinical binge eating, not just overeating). I have lost 120 pounds, with only a few of those pounds lost (and regained) thanks to calorie counting. It has taken years of changing habits, learning portion control, and behavior modification, but now I have a much better sense of when I have eaten "too much" or "too little" depending on my needs for fuel. Isn't that what we all want eventually? To not have to be "on a diet" for the rest of our lives?

I've never been on a diet in the sense of cutting out foods to be able to lose weight, but yes my goal is not to always be in a state of trying to lose weight. I do have plans to go on bulk/cut cycles though, so regularly tracking my caloric intake is far more beneficial to me than trying to re-learn every time how I should feel when I've consumed enough. This just takes all the guesswork, guilt, etc out of it. I can eat what I want within my goals and I'm golden!
    eh? Haven't you talked at length about your experiences eliminating foods and the subsequent binges and over eating etc? That wasn't dieting?

I've never done this while using MFP, which is what I meant. Which should be kind of obvious if you are aware of my past experience with "eating clean," although I never considered that dieting while I did it. I just assumed that one had to not eat x foods and that I had to exercise. The word "diet," much like the concept of "calories," wasn't actually in my vocabulary at that time even though I'm sure I'd been exposed to both. Honestly if someone had asked me what calories and dieting were 4 years ago, I'd probably have been stumped. I didn't even really know what calories were until I was inspired to try out the IIFYM lifestyle.

Not obvious. Not in the slightest. Even your own posts in this thread are contradictory afaics.

You have MANY MANY posts where you suggest that elimination style dieting led you to a disordered relationship with food, disordered eating etc.. You have many posts here about how anything other than eating whatever the hell you want within a prescribed calorie allotment (as long as you get enough protein...) has led to weight gain and emotional woes, along with numerous posts where you're fabulously happy eating part of a donut, as long as said donut part fits your magical "IIFYM" macros. Posts about your upbringing, your mom and her influence on your relationship with food. So, no. Not much is obvious.

You meant you haven't eliminated foods since joining MFP. ok. I can go with that.

Again. Your posts along the way have suggested a very complicated past with food, an ED perhaps, binging, unhealthy relationships with food, and a new (current) very enthusiastic confidence that this time is THE time you've got it RIGHT suggest a complicated relationship with food. So no, nothing is "obvious" with respect to your posts, your photos etc.. I do agree that eating whatever you want while measuring, counting, and weighing your calories (and focusing on protein) IS the best for you at this stage of your journey, given your complicated past. And as always, I wish you the best on this journey and hope this time it works for the rest of your life.
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One study found that even without limitations, calorie counting made women more stressed. Nobody wants that. Plus, an increase in stress can cause a spike in cortisol, a hormone known to rev up appetite, increase cravings for fatty and sugary foods, and up belly fat storage.

1t2pxtee5zmx.jpg

Great, another "study" making generalizations about women
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    If knowing the number of calories you consume somehow "stressful" in ANY way to you, then you've got bigger problems than weight that NO diet is EVERY gonna fix. Seek professional help immediately. You're gonna need it.

Not true. I'm not going as far into this as I did in a similar past thread, but, for the benefit of the people reading, whom you are accusing of being crazy:
    - There is most definitely a learning curve to changing your eating and food preparation habits, shopping differently, reading labels. learning of any kind involves stress, by definition, it is a change from previous habits. this is alllll stressful
    - Hypervigilance about food - macros, calories, portions - which is necessary for the activities involved in my previous point, is stressful. but necessary, because otherwise, it is easy, especially for a novice, to fall into default mode.
    - Dealing with acting in a way that's contrary to social norms - e.g., with family, at work - is stressful
    - Interpreting and coping with new hunger and satiety cues, is stressful

Eventually, it does get better and more automatic, but people who are struggling with all these adaptations are not crazy, or in need of professional help (necessarily). They're actually pretty normal.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Maybe if you get stressed by counting/using simple maths you need to do something with your life so you can see what stress really is.

LOL, yes this! I'm an accountant - not only is calorie counting helping me lose weight, it is keeping my mind sharp as well.

Win/win.

Same. Accounting here too.

Imagine how much stress these people be go through, the courage it must take, the sheer force of will power the must summon up when they go grocery shopping and have 15 different products.

They probably scan their food and then throw a big ball of money at the check out chick and run off, hoping they paid enough.

The OP post dud only mention women didn't it? Do you guys find articles like that really demeaning? Insulting?
  • ana3067
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Not true. I'm not going as far into this as I did in a similar past thread, but, for the benefit of the people reading, whom you are accusing of being crazy:
    - There is most definitely a learning curve to changing your eating and food preparation habits, shopping differently, reading labels. learning of any kind involves stress, by definition, it is a change from previous habits. this is alllll stressful
    - Hypervigilance about food - macros, calories, portions - which is necessary for the activities involved in my previous point, is stressful. but necessary, because otherwise, it is easy, especially for a novice, to fall into default mode.
    - Dealing with acting in a way that's contrary to social norms - e.g., with family, at work - is stressful

Eventually, it does get better and more automatic, but people who are struggling with all these adaptations are not crazy, or in need of professional help (necessarily). They're actually pretty normal.

My only learning curve was learning to look at hte nutritional info instead of the ingredients to determine my weight management goals, and to learn how to use the app and my food scale. All of these were very easy to learn. I have no food preparation habits, I do not shop differently (actually I do, I no longer restrict myself to the produce and meat section but now shop from the ENTIRE grocery store! My favourite section is the frozen section - frozen fruit, donuts, muffins, brownies, droooool). None of this has been stressful. You wanna talk stressful learning? How about 2-3 midterms back to back to back?

I'm not hypervigilant. I grab the food I want to eat and log it, then I weigh my food to a portion I want, and then change that in the app. I am completely freestyle for my morning and afternoon food consumption, so I can range between 800-1200 for breakfast and lunch. THen for my dinner and/or evening consumption I will look at how much protein I Have left and determine what to make based on that. If I go a bit over or under, no biggie, it all balances out via the weekly intake. I was over on protein and fat today so I'm probably gonna carb out tomorrow, which will be nice while I finish studying and can just snack on easy access food. The only effort that will be involved in thsi will be to weigh my portions and tweak it until it satisfies both what I have remaining and what I want to eat.

I don't act in a way that is contrary to social norms... can you elaborate? If I go to a restaurant and all they have is poutine, well... yeah I"m eating a poutine. Will I go over cals? Maybe. Does it really matter? No, because i"m not over every day.

I never had to cope with hunger and satiety cues. I feel the same hunger and satiety as when I was fat. The only time I had issues was when I first started and was running off of IIFYM calculations, which are generally too low. So duh, not eating enough = not normal/desirable hunger.

I think if you're having these many issues then you should probably take a look at your logging practices and see what is causing all of this, because I've honestly not had any serious issues with the act of logging outside of when my food scales kept dying and I never had batteries.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Good article. Don't be afraid of different ways to lose weight. Calorie counting doesn't for some people and that's OK.
    To lose weight and be in good shape you have to be commited to something.
    That being said weighing and measuring every morsel of food would not be something I would want to do. I also wouldn't want to wear a watch to track every step I take. That is not taking control of your health in my opinion but your health taking control of you. Attaining weight loss and health is much simpler than that.

What if tracking my caloric intake IS the simpler option, and also the one that takes all the guesswork, guilt, and discomfort out of my life?
  • morganj556
    morganj556 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've never counting calories before, didn't have to (at least so far as my weight goes). I'm older, and for the last 10 years or so, the weight just kept creeping up on me, and the next thing you know, I'm just shy of being obese! I am not a believer in "diets" but I just couldn't figure out what was going so horribly wrong. My doctor told me about myfitnesspal. It was such an eye opener for me! I don't find it stressful at all. I have a tool, and information, and direction. I want to be able to enjoy however many years I have left to the fullest. Being healthy and feeling good is something I have to work at a little harder, but at least now I've got a plan, and so far it seems to be working. Stress? Hardly, I 'm feelin' pretty positive!
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They said in the article it CAN backfire.

Which is true.

Calm down people it's just Fox News. If every single person in this thread knows better then there's nothing to worry about.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Yes counting calories is bad.........for the "diet" industry. It doesn't require you to buy someones cherry-picked pseudoscience book, it doesn't promise magic in pill or bottle etc.

Totally agree with that lol! The diet industry is all smoke and mirrors and the latest buzzwords. It's snake oil selling at its finest!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

My only learning curve was learning to look at hte nutritional info instead of the ingredients to determine my weight management goals, and to learn how to use the app and my food scale. All of these were very easy to learn. I have no food preparation habits, I do not shop differently (actually I do, I no longer restrict myself to the produce and meat section but now shop from the ENTIRE grocery store! My favourite section is the frozen section - frozen fruit, donuts, muffins, brownies, droooool). None of this has been stressful. You wanna talk stressful learning? How about 2-3 midterms back to back to back?

I'm not hypervigilant. I grab the food I want to eat and log it, then I weigh my food to a portion I want, and then change that in the app. I am completely freestyle for my morning and afternoon food consumption, so I can range between 800-1200 for breakfast and lunch. THen for my dinner and/or evening consumption I will look at how much protein I Have left and determine what to make based on that. If I go a bit over or under, no biggie, it all balances out via the weekly intake. I was over on protein and fat today so I'm probably gonna carb out tomorrow, which will be nice while I finish studying and can just snack on easy access food. The only effort that will be involved in thsi will be to weigh my portions and tweak it until it satisfies both what I have remaining and what I want to eat.

I don't act in a way that is contrary to social norms... can you elaborate? If I go to a restaurant and all they have is poutine, well... yeah I"m eating a poutine. Will I go over cals? Maybe. Does it really matter? No, because i"m not over every day.

I never had to cope with hunger and satiety cues. I feel the same hunger and satiety as when I was fat. The only time I had issues was when I first started and was running off of IIFYM calculations, which are generally too low. So duh, not eating enough = not normal/desirable hunger.

I think if you're having these many issues then you should probably take a look at your logging practices and see what is causing all of this, because I've honestly not had any serious issues with the act of logging outside of when my food scales kept dying and I never had batteries.

Ana. FFS. I am not talking about myself. I have NO issues with eating or counting calories, at this point. I experienced some of these things when I FIRST started. Over FIVE years ago. Stop talking to me as if I have issues. It's extremely patronizing and a poor, low debate tactic*. Additionally, you are not in a position to condescend to me about my relationship with food. Sorry. The above summarizes what I've observed, as a participant on this and other calorie counting forums, and literature I've read.

I am also not particularly interested in your personal experience, because I've seen it in so many threads, I'm a little overexposed. It is not all about you.

You were in that other thread I mentioned. So there's only so much I want to repeat. But to clarify just a few points:

Norms = coworkers and family members pressuring dieters to eat "intuitively" - to eat what they eat, when they do. This is a real thing that many, many, many people deal with. People often encounter criticism about their new eating habits, or have to say "no thanks" and go through whatever hoops get people off their backs. I remember one thread here, where someone's boss was shoving pizza in their face and not taking no for an answer. They had an issue with that. There are thousands of moments like this on the board.

Learning to read labels = new for LOTS of people. Even if it's to see if they're meeting their protein macros. Shopping differently, cooking differently, same. It is learning, which means change, which means stress.

Vigilance is the definition of calorie counting. That's why it works.

*If you feel the need to resort to this kind of approach when speaking to people, maybe you need to re-evaluate that.
  • Blisschick1
    Options
    The only thing that HAS worked for me is calorie counting! It has made me very aware of what I'm eating, how much exercise I'm truly getting, and where I'm taking in empty calories. For a fact I eat a much healthier and balanced diet when I'm counting that if left to my own devices. Everyone has a unique way that their body responds to food, so each person has to find the thing that works best for them.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    'i cant do it therefore its bad for everyone'

yyyyeah ok. calorie counting makes me feel like i have the information i need to make better food choices. that makes me the opposite of anxious.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    dont_feed_the_troll.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    zb297x2zkf9x.gif

Well, does it have to be one or the other? Instead of a limit I have a weekly (sometimes monthly on heavy weeks) budget. I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, then go and record my foods. If my day happens to be over my preferred average, no big deal. Plenty of days to make up for that. A smaller meal tomorrow, 10 extra minutes of incline walking, and in extreme cases a fast day (which is a welcome break for me). Nothing radical is needed and nothing stressful, since I'm eating the things I want in quantities that satisfy me and only keeping the numbers for tracking purposes, in case I need to apply a quick fix.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you get stressed by counting/using simple maths you need to do something with your life so you can see what stress really is.

LOL, yes this! I'm an accountant - not only is calorie counting helping me lose weight, it is keeping my mind sharp as well.

Win/win.

Same. Accounting here too.

Imagine how much stress these people be go through, the courage it must take, the sheer force of will power the must summon up when they go grocery shopping and have 15 different products.

They probably scan their food and then throw a big ball of money at the check out chick and run off, hoping they paid enough.
    ?

^ I think that is a bit insulting.

You don't find calorie counting stressful, neither do I - but that doesn't mean nobody does or that we need to make mocking disparaging comments about those who do.

As we all know, the only way to lose weight is to be in a calorie deficit - but calorie counting is not the only way to achieve that and many people successfully do it without calorie counting.

The only issue with the article to me is how it makes such sweeping generalisations about calorie counting bring unnecessary and bad for everyone

But then some posters on here are doing likewise about it being necessary and good for everyone :s