Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    natacha305 wrote: »
    ive always believed that counting calories is not THE ONLY way to loose. look up Jonathan Bailor's Book " The Calorie Myth"

basically our bodies do not work like simple math (calories in, calories out) we cant put a number of how much food we should eat. All of us are different and burn calories differently. this one system of eating 1200 per day cant work for everyone.

I Urge you all just to watch his short video, i eat all the food i love and im not limited to "eating clean" I wasnt put on this earth to never eat things that actually taste good, i add butter and FLAVOR to my food, i just choose my foods wisely.

I definitely believe that we should eat more to loose more, not eat less and exercise more? that doesnt make sense. If we are exercising more we must fuel our bodies more.

http://sanesolution.com/

He makes a good point but I actually follow Mark Sission from www.Marksdailyapple.com he encourages eating a high fat diet which is what I do and it works... and im not starving. feel free to add me.

Yeah... Bailor. I'm just going to leave this here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZEB3XsHoQo

Cliff notes: Bailor is a quack to the extent that Quest Nutrition had to take down a promotional video featuring him because he got slaughtered by just about every credible nutritionist under the sun.

Oh and Sissons is a supplement pimp. Avoid.

Thanks for posting that rebuttal video. I LIKE that guy.

As to the topic of the thread?

Fox News?

Surrrrrrrrrrrrre.

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone understands that I think counting calories is the way to go. Just thought it real strange that so called experts disagree
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I tried eating intuitively. Unfortunately my intuition is as greedy as me, and I got fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    I tried eating intuitively. Unfortunately my intuition is as greedy as me, and I got fat.

Same here. Recommending intuitive eating exclusively discounts the very real problem of the subset of people who have messed up their hunger signals with chronic overeating.

There's nothing wrong if intuitive eating WORKS for for someone, but then again, there's nothing wrong if calorie counting works either. As someone else said above, why can't we have both? Obviously, a different method might be a better for a different individual depending on their own issues and personality type.

Articles containing sweeping generalizations are just crap sensationalism.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LOL it takes about two minutes for me to log my day with the MFP ap and i have zero stress about counting calories….

IMO it is actually the most informed way to lose weight/maintain/etc because you learn what your cutting/maintenance/bulking calories are and you learn how to hit your macros/micros spot on ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    natacha305 wrote: »
    ive always believed that counting calories is not THE ONLY way to loose. look up Jonathan Bailor's Book " The Calorie Myth"

basically our bodies do not work like simple math (calories in, calories out) we cant put a number of how much food we should eat. All of us are different and burn calories differently. this one system of eating 1200 per day cant work for everyone.

I Urge you all just to watch his short video, i eat all the food i love and im not limited to "eating clean" I wasnt put on this earth to never eat things that actually taste good, i add butter and FLAVOR to my food, i just choose my foods wisely.

I definitely believe that we should eat more to loose more, not eat less and exercise more? that doesnt make sense. If we are exercising more we must fuel our bodies more.

http://sanesolution.com/

He makes a good point but I actually follow Mark Sission from www.Marksdailyapple.com he encourages eating a high fat diet which is what I do and it works... and im not starving. feel free to add me.

sigh ..whyis there always one person that believes that the regular rules of math and physics do not apply to them…?

so you are saying you can eat in a 500 per day calorie surplus and you will lose weight? Because it not as simple as CICO..right, right, right????
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Haha! Right there with you!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 tomorrow + I like to eat = count your calories if you want to lose 15lbs swankytomato.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    FauxNews...why am I not surprised.

This. Enough said
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Exactly! That's why I have calorie counting to fall back on when my intuition gets greedy (and it often does)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I think that the people who are stressed over it are the ones that overcomplicate things with broscience and are having a hard time sorting through conflicting information.
  • mbushnellWA
    mbushnellWA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Fox news. yeahhhh. right. Calorie counting is so much easier now that we have an app for that. I had to check what MPH stands for. I believe it is "Master in Public Health". RD is for Registered Dietitian.

An MPH is a very highly regarded public health academic. It might not count for much in your world, but this person would have undertaken at least six years of academic study and research in the field of public health. A dietitian only understands diet and even then, they don't seem to have the answers!

An MPH does not convey advanced knowledge of nutrition and does not require at least six years of study and research, usually two years post college. It's quite possible, depending on the program, to have no education in nutrition, depending on your area of focus. It's a broad heading. Think of the title MPH as this: I have a Bachelor of arts degree from college as does my daughter. However, mine is in bacteriology (study of bacteria) while hers is in arts. I also have an MPH, and my program focus was on microorganisms as they relate to population health. I didn't take a single nutrition class.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Some people do not adhere well to a calorie counting model for a variety of reasons. It's a great method for some people and it's really a poor choice for others.

And yes there are some people who have negative consequences in terms of how they view or select food and I'd call this a form of stress.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It can be bad for a lot of people...I see the bad everyday here on MFP with a lot of people.

I agree with @cwolfman13‌ - for some people it can go to a bad place.

Personally, when I feel like the logging and counting is getting a little OCD I take a break for a couple of days.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I read Cynthia Sass' book and liked it. I do think calorie counting is not ideal for long term weight maintenance, for many. You don't have to look far to see people all over this site with disordered relationships with food and the numbers.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I read Cynthia Sass' book and liked it. I do think calorie counting is not ideal for long term weight maintenance, for many. You don't have to look far to see people all over this site with disordered relationships with food and the numbers.

correlation is not causation - CICO is a very usefull method for alot of people. I also think it is very attractive to people who have compulsive restriction type disorders, but that does not mean it caused them. They most likely came here with that mentality already.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    just because something is low calorie doesn't mean its good for you or helps you lose weight often times these things are loaded with sugar i have had the most success recently by hiring a health coach and following a meal plan no calorie counting ....when i used this site 100% I liked that it also tracked the sugar/carbs SODIUM and other things eat clean and fresh my friends :)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

What would you call a disordered relationship with food and the numbers and why is calorie counting long term not ideal?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest....I didn't make it passed.
    Aside from the fact that the quality and timing of the calories you consume is critical for weight loss success

I didn't see any point to go any further.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

What would you call a disordered relationship with food and the numbers and why is calorie counting long term not ideal?

Speaking from personal experience I got to a point where I started selecting foods strictly based on numbers and not based on other factors related to typical food selection processes (nutrient needs, palatability, etc). I started viewing foods as strings of numbers and not as food themselves. Furthermore, I disliked the amount of attention I needed to pay to energy values and I developed the feeling of severe restriction.

It's really not all that different from someone deciding to eliminate entire categories of foods and how, in SOME of those cases those people end up developing a less than ideal relationship with food (orthorexic type behaviors) because of their methods.

I've also had clients who have had issues with the relationships in their life because of their tracking behaviors.

I don't direct this at you (person I am quoting) but it baffles my mind how many people believe that since an issue or problem doesn't exist in their world, then it must not exist.

Ultimately, with any behavior you select you need to determine how that behavior effects the quality of your life. For SOME people, tracking intake is a net negative.

For many people it's perfectly fine, and for those who don't have issues with it, it's a powerful tool.