SORE muscles hindering my workouts

I have always been an active person and feel like I have always lived some degree of soreness. However, over the past two years, while attending graduate school my workouts have been non existent. Spending 60-80 hours a week at the hospital and studying all night made it nearly impossible to workout. Frankly, if I had any free time, taking the opportunity to sleep an extra 30 minutes always trumped any form of workout. Now 2.5 years later I have started my workouts again. Not only am I extremely frustrated with my degree of weakness (it is incredible how much muscle mass I have lost), but I am frustrated with the DOMS i feel after every workout. I would like to workout more often but feel I need to recover for 2 days after each workout just so I can walk again.

Any recommendations for treatment, prevention, supplements?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    2 days recovery is good. do some mobility work and stretching during those two days, and drink lots of water. The pain between workouts will go away after you get back in shape.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    2 days recovery is good. do some mobility work and stretching during those two days, and drink lots of water. The pain between workouts will go away after you get back in shape.
    I don't have a better answer than this unless it's just to work out with less intensity to avoid such extreme DOMS.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    This!

Foam rolling is a biiiiatch but helps, also hot baths with epsom salts!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    What does your workout involve? I'm guessing that you're either doing too much on your first few workouts.. or you're going too long between workouts.. or you're doing a body part split workout (instead of a full-body workout). The solution is to correct those things. A typical progression would be:

First workout: 1 set for each muscle group

Second workout, 2-3 days later (no more than 4 days): Add 1 set for each muscle group

Workout 3, same as 2nd workout.

Workout 4: add 1 set for each group

etc.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Thanx everyone for your replies!

So I go to a boutique style gym where it's mostly classes. I do a little bit of everything-- HIT, kettle bells, real Ryder spinning, TRX. Each class is about an hour long and work out pretty much every muscle group, even in the spin class they incorporate weights for upper body. But I have only been able to got about 3 times a week because of my soreness.

So I am big on evidence base and research. I just read a study which tested muscle biopsies post exercise and compared those left to recover on their own vs the muscle that was massaged. The study found that massage reduced cytokine and inflammation while also promoting heeling (which is impaired by NSAIDS). Needless to say I just left the massage parlor!! Even if does nothing for soreness it still felt awesome!!! Scheduled to go tomorrow again :wink:

• MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Be consistent and the muscle will come back and as you gain strength you will be less sore. Strive to be active daily but maybe after a hard workout the next day you walk, swim or yoga. When you are sore light exercise will help work out the lactic acid. Epsom salt bath helps and drink lots of water. Get enough recovery sleep and if you can swing a massage that can help as well.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    BaliRun wrote: »
    Thanx everyone for your replies!

So I go to a boutique style gym where it's mostly classes. I do a little bit of everything-- HIT, kettle bells, real Ryder spinning, TRX. Each class is about an hour long and work out pretty much every muscle group, even in the spin class they incorporate weights for upper body. But I have only been able to got about 3 times a week because of my soreness.

So I am big on evidence base and research. I just read a study which tested muscle biopsies post exercise and compared those left to recover on their own vs the muscle that was massaged. The study found that massage reduced cytokine and inflammation while also promoting heeling (which is impaired by NSAIDS). Needless to say I just left the massage parlor!! Even if does nothing for soreness it still felt awesome!!! Scheduled to go tomorrow again :wink:

Massage is great but expensive. I supplement in-between massages with some self myofascial release. Bands, balls, and a foam roller are great tools for a bit of self-massage

• gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2015
    Get some BCAAs and electrolytes will help with recovery.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Sheesh. No need to turn all the dials to max from the get-go. Took ya 30 months to get out of shape; at least take a few weeks to ramp up. On your off days, do some light at-home workouts -- DOMS gets better faster if you work the muscles a bit.
  • BaliRun
    gio14 wrote: »
    Get some BCAAs and electrolytes will help with recovery.

I have some BCAA in the pantry. I'll start taking some see if it helps! Thanx
  • BaliRun
    edited February 2015
    Several people have recommended the foam roller. I have one stuffed in a closet somewhere but have never known how to use it properly. I'll have to look up some videos and put it to good use. Thanx
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    you can also use any wooden dowel (there's a product runners use, i think, called "stick", but really you can use anything) and just rest your leg on it, while rolling.

i had this problem initially. i honestly think just introducing different elements into your routine slowly is the best bet. 2 days cardio + 1-2 days resistance for a couple of weeks. Then add another day of cardio, and definitely 2 days of resistance. Use rest days for active recovery like walking or light swimming.

magnesium & potassium, too. i've also used turmeric & bromelain supplements. they may have worked, i don't know, i took them at the same time as I did the massage.
  • Hey Balirun! I'm only responding to your OP so forgive any repeat advice.

I also was a very active person then stopped for a long time. I would suffer from DOMS big time (even when I was fit) if I tried something new. Also, got DOMS after starting again after time away.

If I got DOMS nothing seemed to help but rest.

However, I recently started weightlifting and running again and decided to try something different. I decided to start lifting and running at waaaaayy lower weights, speeds or times than I felt I could actually do.

I'm naturally fairly strong...so I felt kind silly just going to the gym and putting the weight machines to the lowest setting...but I did. Then I moved up just a little and stayed there a long time. I have kept at this...just increasing weight or speed or distance very slowly. This seems to really be working at keeping DOMS away while at the same time, I am noticing an improvement in my fitness. (Just tonight I was getting compliments on my hitting in volleyball and it totally felt so easy to me).

I also have been trying to rest more...not just sleeping but also remembering to give my body 2 days rest per week. I also started soaking in this:
    111213-P22581.JPG
    Mainly for stress and tension reasons...but I could see why it might help DOMS.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    My "go to" to reduce/eliminate DOMS is to do cardio the day after a weight workout....it helps flush the lactic acid out of the muscles. :) Also, make sure you're properly hydrated - I drink at least half my body weight in ounces of water every day (not including what I drink during workouts). :)
  • Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member
    I went pretty hard last 5 days. I woke up today and said Im just gonna stretch and walk today. I was sore as hell this morning bit feel pretty fine now. Tomorrow I will get back at it lol
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    No NSAIDS. No ice-baths (same thing, reduces inflammation but impairs adaptation). More gradual approach. Or simply take more time between strenuous workouts.

The foam roller has helped me. Also a tennis ball for more localized sore spots and trigger points. And the think that has helped the most is doing some form of active recovery - 1/2 to 1 hour of really easy activity, just to move the muscles with no effort or strain. Stretching didn't help me with pain, but it did for flexibility.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I have always been an active person and feel like I have always lived some degree of soreness. However, over the past two years, while attending graduate school my workouts have been non existent. Spending 60-80 hours a week at the hospital and studying all night made it nearly impossible to workout. Frankly, if I had any free time, taking the opportunity to sleep an extra 30 minutes always trumped any form of workout. Now 2.5 years later I have started my workouts again. Not only am I extremely frustrated with my degree of weakness (it is incredible how much muscle mass I have lost), but I am frustrated with the DOMS i feel after every workout. I would like to workout more often but feel I need to recover for 2 days after each workout just so I can walk again.

Prevention: Work out more and the DOMS goes away mostly.

Treatment: No real treatment. Hot showers, ice baths... those help. Active recovery like an hour spin on a bike is good.

Supplements: None. I do take aleve or ibuprofen when it gets too bad.
  • RJ0274
    RJ0274 Posts: 4,174 Member

I'm no expert at this, but I found breaking up your workouts into different muscle groups on varying days seems to help, You still keep your metabolism gong by working different muscle groups on different days. I'm going to venture into a little voodoo area now by suggesting nutrition enhancements. I've been taking L-Arginine for several months now first thing in the morning and just before I workout. I seem to get a better pump and it seems to have helped with increasing vascularity. The big thing though is to intake some sort of protein right after you workout. I have a bag of turkey and / or beef jerky at my desk and I usually have a Premier Protein drink handy after my workout. Greek yogurt is a good source of protein as well. Hope this helps!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Prevention: Work out more and the DOMS goes away mostly.

Treatment: No real treatment. Hot showers, ice baths... those help. Active recovery like an hour spin on a bike is good.

Supplements: None. I do take aleve or ibuprofen when it gets too bad.

This! After nearly four months of getting active again and two months of heavy lifting, my DOMS are so much more manageable than at the start. I've gone from serious body aches to tightness and mild discomfort, mostly 1-2 days after lifting.

• BaliRun
    edited February 2015
    Pain is still really bad this morning. Planning to see if I can muscle in a spin class this afternoon, followed by some time in the pool and a massage.
    Taking everyone's advice and suggestions, I really appreciate it. Thanx guys! :)