foot/heal pain

Options
Does anyone else experience pain in their heels and arches of the feet mostly when you first wake up? I know I have flat feet and I really seem to be putting a whooping on my feet everyday but it's starting to bother me that it's happening! I've also had this pain on the back of my one heel recently that's sort of like a burning sensation/pain. It's not unbearable but just very frustrating. Has anyone else had issues with any of this too? Any suggestions on what to do?

Replies

• danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO GO SEE A FOOT DR ! Sounds like Plantar Faciitis! It's cureable so go now!! 8-)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Yes have been having the same problem. Bought new shoes, and some heel inserts. Have also been really working on stretching that muscle that runs under your foot and up your heel. Look up planter facieitias (sp). It will show you some exercises.
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm guessing plantar fasciatis. I have it. When I wake up in the morning, the bottom of my right foot hurts right where the heel is (where the padding of the foot is).

I chalk it up to not wearing shoes around the house. I have hardwood floors and for years just walked around barefoot or with socks. Now I have to wear good shoes (tennis shoes) all day. If I wear good shoes my foot doesn't hurt. IF I skip one day and go barefoot then I will wake up with pain again.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yup, plantar fasciatis. I also have (had?) bone spurs. Very painful. It's actually much better now than it used to be, thanks to seeing a podiatrist and getting orthotics.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and use shoes that are designed to them. I have Plantar Faciitis pain when I do a lot of walking in crappy shoes and I ice down my feet. Freeze a water bottle and just place your feet on it, with a towel, of course. See a doctor if you can.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is Plantar Facitis almost for sure. It has all the classic symptoms. See a doctor and they will advise you on how to treat it. Just so you know I have had it in the past, and it is all gone now. Losing weight will help as well in the long run, but you want to start dealing with it now because it can get very sore all day making walking and working out very hard. Basically it is a inflammation of the tendon along the bottom of your foot.
  • asuchemgrad
    Options
    I suffer from it too on and off for a year now. podiatrist recommended stretching and icing. take a day between super high impact exercise days. orthotics were recommended but not covered by insurance.
  • arcticlynx1
    arcticlynx1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Seeing a doctor is good, but I have found some remedies as well.

First off I also had really tight calf muscles in the morning as well as ankle and heel issues. I found that just adding a regular multi-vitamin made a huge difference. Part of my issue was not getting enough of some sort of vitamin (don't know which one). I use more-than-a-multiple vitamin, but any would probably do you well.

Secondly is to do regular heel stretches. Put your foot flat on the floor with your knee locked, and lean forward, and count to ten. Do this 3 times with each leg per day. Good to do right before bed. This will actually stretch some of the muscles on the bottom of your foot and heel too.

Again tho, see a doctor about it if you can.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    I have it too.
    I wear my shoes all day and it does not act up too much.
    Also, need to have shoes that have support. Flips Flops...suck.
    Lose weight, that helps.

I went to get a generic orthotic about 30 bucks to put in my shoes and it helps out tremendously.
    Also, if I exercise in shoes that break down then I need to get into new shoes that have life.
    I am massaging with a can of vegetables, rolling across it. It hurts like HADES.

but google up plantar fasciatis
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing plantar fasciatis. I have it. When I wake up in the morning, the bottom of my right foot hurts right where the heel is (where the padding of the foot is).

I chalk it up to not wearing shoes around the house. I have hardwood floors and for years just walked around barefoot or with socks. Now I have to wear good shoes (tennis shoes) all day. If I wear good shoes my foot doesn't hurt. IF I skip one day and go barefoot then I will wake up with pain again.

I agree with this - I have it, too. I stand all day at work and used to wear awful shoes, and I play roller derby at night with no support in my skates. I started wearing tennis shoes to work and put inserts in my skates and, for the most part, I never have problems. I have occasional bad days, but they are few and far between now. :)
  • jbudzins1
    jbudzins1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I bought some shoes with gell inserts a while ago (Dr Scholls). After using them on my daily walks for awhile the bottom of my feet started to hurt as if they had been beaten with a truncion. I switched shoes and the problem went away and after a while I tried the gell soles again - same result! I got rid of them and never had any problems again. BTW I do not buy expensive shoes $50 tops.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    see your doctor - heel inserts helped me too! No need for expensive ones - chemists are fine!
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    It is plantar fasitis no doubt. I had it last year and the doc gave me some meds and sent me a therapist who said I needed to see an orthotic person. I now have an insert that I need to wear in my shoes/sneekers. I find it inconvenient cause you have to have the right shoes for it to fit, BUT it sure beats having that pain in the foot/heel. Go to the doctor soon.
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Fat2FitAmanda Posts: 118
    Options
    I guess I should make an appt then! I've always had feet issues. Is this plantar facitis something that comes and goes? This pretty much seems like a constant for me. Has anyone ever tried those machines they have at Walmart that will suggest a show insert? I didn't wanna spend the almost $70 (I think) on the inserts then not have them work out for me. Well thank you everyone for responding! I love this site and all the support it offers!!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I guess I should make an appt then! I've always had feet issues. Is this plantar facitis something that comes and goes? This pretty much seems like a constant for me. Has anyone ever tried those machines they have at Walmart that will suggest a show insert? I didn't wanna spend the almost $70 (I think) on the inserts then not have them work out for me. Well thank you everyone for responding! I love this site and all the support it offers!!

Yes, it comes and goes but if you ask for a Cortizone shot, it takes care of the pain for quite some time. I've had no pain for 3-4 months since I've had my first shot.