Help!! I'm Hangry!!

Options
For those of you who may not know what "hangry" is its hungry-angry!! :(

Why are the first weeks always so hard.. I go so well and then at some point within the first few weeks I cave and become ravenous eating EVERYTHING in site.. Please help me!! What am I doing wrong :(

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you having meals with a good mix of protein, carbs and fats? Generally (assuming you don't have a binge eating disorder) that kind of reaction is because you're lacking proper nourishment. Your body is freaking out and overcompensating, but the root cause is for real so track your macros (protein carbs and fat) and try to hit them all daily.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also spreading out your meals by having snacks throughout the day can help to curb the hunger.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Are you having meals with a good mix of protein, carbs and fats? Generally (assuming you don't have a binge eating disorder) that kind of reaction is because you're lacking proper nourishment. Your body is freaking out and overcompensating, but the root cause is for real so track your macros (protein carbs and fat) and try to hit them all daily.

No I don't have a binge eating disorder (well not that I know of).. I try and work it out the best I can.. According to what I work out I'm always over carbs, eat enough fats and under protein a smidgen.. I usually feel satisfied with my meals but then when it comes to sleeping I cannot stop thinking about food.. It's so frustrating!! I live in Australia so it's almost 4am here and I haven't been able to sleep as I'm hangry.. It's starting to effect my studies and work because I am exhausted the next day from lack of sleep! Maybe I dietician is the answer?
  • paulahope2
    Options
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    Also spreading out your meals by having snacks throughout the day can help to curb the hunger.

Usually throughout the day I'm satisfied and feel like I've ate enough.. But then at night time I'm starving again.. :/ any snacks you can suggest? Or an eating plan?
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Even though I'm eating reasonable amounts, I'm getting really hungry all the time! This is my first week and I think part of the issue is that I'm thinking about food all the time, so I'm trying not to obsess. Doing something with my hands is helpful. And if I really just need to munch, popcorn is my best friend. My bf and I are doing this together, which is really helpful, and we do meal planning for dinners every night and keep healthy lunch stuff around.
    Basically, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think it's pretty normal. If you need to snack, find some things you like that are filling and low cal. I like popcorn, salads with low cal dressing, fruit, and cucumber slices with a teeny bit of cream cheese on them (it's like a cucumber sandwich without the bread!). I also eat double or triple servings of steamed veggies, it helps me feel fuller without loading up on too many extra carbs. I log in daily if you want to friend me, support buddies are always nice!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have about 20lbs to lose. What is your target rate of weight loss, and how many calories are you trying to hit each day?

Don't have an aggressive goal, eat at a moderate deficit, which will help you feel more satisfied with your eating habits every day, which can lead to better adherence long term.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It may be - you could give swapping out some carbs for more protein a try - I find protein the most filling and I try to start every day with a protein-heavy meal. Also how is your fiber? Once upon a time when I was a student with a full-time job who still had no money ever, I had the same issue and found that a big apple got me to sleep every time. In retrospect I think the fiber might have been the key.
    -
    But yeah, it could definitely be worth it to see a professional if your macro balance is good and you're still that hungry. Maybe they can help suggest some different trials so see what will work best for you.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Even though I'm eating reasonable amounts, I'm getting really hungry all the time! This is my first week and I think part of the issue is that I'm thinking about food all the time, so I'm trying not to obsess. Doing something with my hands is helpful. And if I really just need to munch, popcorn is my best friend. My bf and I are doing this together, which is really helpful, and we do meal planning for dinners every night and keep healthy lunch stuff around.
    Basically, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think it's pretty normal. If you need to snack, find some things you like that are filling and low cal. I like popcorn, salads with low cal dressing, fruit, and cucumber slices with a teeny bit of cream cheese on them (it's like a cucumber sandwich without the bread!). I also eat double or triple servings of steamed veggies, it helps me feel fuller without loading up on too many extra carbs. I log in daily if you want to friend me, support buddies are always nice!

Phew so it's not just me! Mmmm popcorn! Do you eat organic or regular popcorn? The cucumber and cream cheese sandwich sound nice too!! I think the problem is I don't have a buddy.. I either have real fit athletic friends or those friends who don't really want to listen to your problems but they talk about their own all day if you get what I mean? I'm the listener haha!!
    Plus I don't want to burden my boyfriend with all this as he is doing his masters this year and he's under a lot of stress!! I may do what you've been doing and plan my meals out!! How long does it take you to do a meal plan normally?
  • paulahope2
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    It may be - you could give swapping out some carbs for more protein a try - I find protein the most filling and I try to start every day with a protein-heavy meal. Also how is your fiber? Once upon a time when I was a student with a full-time job who still had no money ever, I had the same issue and found that a big apple got me to sleep every time. In retrospect I think the fiber might have been the key.
    -
    But yeah, it could definitely be worth it to see a professional if your macro balance is good and you're still that hungry. Maybe they can help suggest some different trials so see what will work best for you.
    That is me right now!! And I feel like I'm blaming all this on my busy schedule (as I hoped I never would) it is hard to balance studies and a full time job though I'll admit!! My fibre intake is pretty poor I'll admit!! I'll get that up as well!! Thankyou so much for your advice!! It's good to get someone else's experience to help put things is perspective!
  • paulahope2
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Your profile says you have about 20lbs to lose. What is your target rate of weight loss, and how many calories are you trying to hit each day?

Don't have an aggressive goal, eat at a moderate deficit, which will help you feel more satisfied with your eating habits every day, which can lead to better adherence long term.

Calorie goal is currently 1600 but I'll admit I rarely hit it as I said I feel full during the day.. It's the night that's really my problem.. My target rate is 0.5kg a week (not sure what it is in lb)
    The problem my also be rarely hitting my calorie target and then exercising on top of that?
  • Andria_vfg08
    Options
    I feel the same way. Started calorie diet and when reaching goal that day I still feel hungry!! I need idea of foods that will fill me up but still be low in calories!
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I feel the same way. Started calorie diet and when reaching goal that day I still feel hungry!! I need idea of foods that will fill me up but still be low in calories!
    I understand 110% it's like a catch 22.. You feel good for sticking to the plan and doing what you though was right.. But the hunger pains make you regret it a little haha!
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    paulahope2 wrote: »

Phew so it's not just me! Mmmm popcorn! Do you eat organic or regular popcorn? The cucumber and cream cheese sandwich sound nice too!! I think the problem is I don't have a buddy.. I either have real fit athletic friends or those friends who don't really want to listen to your problems but they talk about their own all day if you get what I mean? I'm the listener haha!!
    Plus I don't want to burden my boyfriend with all this as he is doing his masters this year and he's under a lot of stress!! I may do what you've been doing and plan my meals out!! How long does it take you to do a meal plan normally?

I'm getting my master's right now so I get the stress! I do regular popcorn, the light butter kind. And we don't spend a ton of time meal planning. He and I are both pretty good cooks (not to sound stuck up) and we have several meals we tend to rotate frequently, and then some we do less often. Last night he made turkey sausage sauteed with peppers and we had it over rice with some green beans. We usually plan about 5 days worth of dinners, and then take turns cooking. We do a lot of chicken & rice, stroganoff (with light sour cream & light cream of mushroom), whole grain spaghetti, baked fish, things like that. We normally ate healthy dinners, we have just had to make some swaps, like lower fat condiments, and we've had to do more portion control. My suggestion is to pick things that you can fix easily, and do as much prep ahead of time as possible (e.g. chop veggies ahead of time). But making a schedule has helped us immensely. We don't end up waiting till 8pm and ordering pizza because we didn't get stuff for dinner ahead of time.
    And on gym nights we use the crockpot. I love my crockpot, it's so great!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Usually throughout the day I'm satisfied and feel like I've ate enough.. But then at night time I'm starving again.. :/ any snacks you can suggest? Or an eating plan?

Many times I eat 0.5 cups of Trail Mix while laying in bed watching TV or reading at night. That typically works for me.
  • paulahope2
    Options

I'm getting my master's right now so I get the stress! I do regular popcorn, the light butter kind. And we don't spend a ton of time meal planning. He and I are both pretty good cooks (not to sound stuck up) and we have several meals we tend to rotate frequently, and then some we do less often. Last night he made turkey sausage sauteed with peppers and we had it over rice with some green beans. We usually plan about 5 days worth of dinners, and then take turns cooking. We do a lot of chicken & rice, stroganoff (with light sour cream & light cream of mushroom), whole grain spaghetti, baked fish, things like that. We normally ate healthy dinners, we have just had to make some swaps, like lower fat condiments, and we've had to do more portion control. My suggestion is to pick things that you can fix easily, and do as much prep ahead of time as possible (e.g. chop veggies ahead of time). But making a schedule has helped us immensely. We don't end up waiting till 8pm and ordering pizza because we didn't get stuff for dinner ahead of time.
    And on gym nights we use the crockpot. I love my crockpot, it's so great!

The stress of study is horrible!! Goodluck with your masters by the way :)
    I see what you mean!! When I used to eat pasta if go back for 2nds sometimes 3rds.. And man do I love my sauce on EVERYTHING!!!! Crockpots are great aren't they!! Best invention ever!! What does whole grain pasta taste like?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is designed to build a deficit already, so when you exercise, you "earn" additional calories. I'd try eating back half of them (MFP tends to overestimate burns).

And while you are full during the day, you're hungry at night, so you aren't remaining full all day. Others have given good suggestions of eating foods that are satiating. I'd also recommend that since you typically have at least some calories remaining at the end of the day, have a snack before you go to bed. Work it into your calories. Meal timing doesn't matter, so there isn't a drawback if it allows you to sleep without worrying about food.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Many times I eat 0.5 cups of Trail Mix while laying in bed watching TV or reading at night. That typically works for me.

Trail mix is the nuts? I'm going to be honest I've never really ate nuts before.. I had paranoid parents who never let me go near then (in fear of allergies) haha!! So they we never really interested me.. What's in a trail mix? Is it just nuts or is there extras?
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I save myself from hanger with planned meals and always having something within reach should the hanger arise. The hanger is at its worst for me when I don't plan and I let myself get too hungry.

P.S. Getting hangry is a real thing! At least in this study :wink: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/25255682/ohio-state-study-proves-hangry-is-a-real-emotion
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Calorie goal is currently 1600 but I'll admit I rarely hit it as I said I feel full during the day.. It's the night that's really my problem.. My target rate is 0.5kg a week (not sure what it is in lb)
    The problem my also be rarely hitting my calorie target and then exercising on top of that?

If you aren't hitting your calorie goal, perhaps you could take the calories that are leftover and plan a small bedtime snack every night. I've been eating dinner pretty late for the past few months because of my husband's work schedule, but I used to always have a snack between dinner and bedtime.

Edited to add: I like the idea of popcorn. I usually had popcorn, or an apple with peanut butter, or a couple of pieces of string cheese, a piece of fruit, something along those lines.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is designed to build a deficit already, so when you exercise, you "earn" additional calories. I'd try eating back half of them (MFP tends to overestimate burns).

And while you are full during the day, you're hungry at night, so you aren't remaining full all day. Others have given good suggestions of eating foods that are satiating. I'd also recommend that since you typically have at least some calories remaining at the end of the day, have a snack before you go to bed. Work it into your calories. Meal timing doesn't matter, so there isn't a drawback if it allows you to sleep without worrying about food.

No I rarely eat back the calories I've burned.. Probably never actually.. I have a lot of planning to do! Thanks for all your help!! Sometimes it feels like another thing I have to worry about on top of everything else!! I know I shouldn't feel like that but somedays it's very difficult to stay motivated!! It's good to know there are still people out there willing to help others :)