How do you react when people tell you that you have lost enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have about 20lbs to go. I am actually at the point where I just don't tell people I still want to lose more. Its been my experience that it takes at least 30lbs for others to notice, and most won't actually comment until you hit 40 or 50lbs lost. Those measly 20lbs are unlikely to show outwardly anyways so its none of their business. Plus, the last 20 is about me and how I want to look naked. Its not about the scale anymore.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good problem to have. I aspire to some day have someone tell me I've lost enough. lol.

I did have a coworker say "You only have like 15lbs left to lose right?" She was genuinely serious. I'm 5'3" and 189, so I have 15lbs to be merely overweight and not obese. lol
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lift your shirt and show them your fat rolls. That shuts them up pretty fast.

Lol I like this advice. I think people perceive bodies differently because they are covered in clothes. Unless you see me naked, or better yet live in my naked body then you really don't get to have an opinion on my body.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    If they're not close to you, just say, "Thanks, I feel good these days." And maybe even if they are. It's none of their business.

You've made amazing progress - congratulations!

Thanks, and I think I just won't tell people I'm still losing, not like they would be able to notice anyway.
  • Wellsuzie
    Wellsuzie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just say "I am feeling good, and how are you?"
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Lift your shirt and show them your fat rolls. That shuts them up pretty fast.

Lol I like this advice. I think people perceive bodies differently because they are covered in clothes. Unless you see me naked, or better yet live in my naked body then you really don't get to have an opinion on my body.

Yeah, good point
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I usually just say..."I am really not trying to lose more but I am kind of addicted to fitness right now". Something along those lines.
    Or "To be honest I am trying to take this as far as I can and have a few lbs I want to lose"

You have to look at yourself in the mirror and know what your goals are.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have not had this happen. I have had people say "Oh, you are still losing? Well you look great right now." And then I just say "Thank you. Yeah, I still have a bit of fat in those 'hard to lose' spots that I'm working on. So now I'm more or less fine tuning myself rather than trying to make big changes."
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A while back I was down to 142# and I'm 5'8". According to my Dr. that was the target and I did feel good there. I wasn't toned, so things jiggled, but didn't have rolls when I sat down anymore, so it was good. My friends would say I had lost too much, but I dismissed them thinking they were jealous over my success.

I've put about 15 back on now :\ and what I notice looking back at the pics is that frequently, due to my bone structure, my face looked gaunt. My body looked pretty good, but having lost the volume in my face......sometimes it wasn't very flattering, but it wasn't anything I noticed at the time. I was on a mission! Get back haters! LOL

I have a cousin who struggled with his weight for many years and he lost a lot of weight. I got his Christmas card in the mail and my first impression was that he looked sick, but it was really just how his face had changed.

When we age we loose volume in our faces and then add a big weight loss and it's even more noticeable.........
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends how they phrase it. If they say "you look good, you don't *look like* you need to lose weight " or similar I say thank you, and possibly "I'm lucky my fat tends to be distributed quite low so it doesn't show so much".

If they say something along the lines of "don't lose any more weight or you'll be too skinny " ie an instruction, I say "actually my BMI still has me at overweight and I want to be in the middle of the healthy range, because I want to do as much as I can to avoid the health issues that come with being overweight. " or sometimes if I'm feeling humorous "I've put on a bit over the last couple of years and I want to nip it in the bud before I end up on biggest loser "