Replies

• Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cabbage. Always works for me.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk (vanilla or chocolate) unsweetened. I make the BEST iced lattes and it keeps me full for hours.
  • rosariiox
    Options
    Eat Oatmeal in the morning, that will keep you full for a good while. Be sure to add protein with your oatmeal, to decrease hunger! You can do this by putting peanut butter in your oatmeal, having a side of egg whites (super low cal), or maybe even some protein powder. Another great ingredient for oatmeal is CHIA seeds! They absorb water and make you feel full, white having an awesome amount of fiber. Fiber does a great job at making us feel fuller longer. One teaspoon in your oatmeal will do the trick!
    I suggest eating an awesome protein packed oatmeal only in the morning because oatmeal is packed with carbs,which are perfect for providing healthy fuel to get through your day without feeling the need to snack.
    I hope this helps! If you feel the urge to snack in between meals (Dont skip meals!!) then always opt for veggies, fruit, or a small handfull of nuts!
    My fave is nuts. fruit and veggies tend to make us feel bloated, unlike nuts. That's why models eat almonds as snacks before big shows! They are less likely to bloat you! just make sure to read serving suggestions.

I am a biology major and have studied a fair amount of metabolism and nutrition. :wink:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash is my low-calorie go to (plus it's chalked full of some of the vitamins I occasionally overlook, whoops).

It's pretty low calorie, but you can have a giant serving. I tend to pair it with a small chicken breast on days where I know I'll be calorie splurging for dinner but don't want to feel hungry.

I also tend to snack on things like greek yogurt, cheese strings, or moderate protein cereals (all of which can typically be enjoyed for 60-150 calories).

The reality is, don't focus on just low calorie. Look to find foods that will help you meet other nutritional goals while staying within your calorie allowance.
  • pilot1960
    pilot1960 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can you really have it both ways all the time? If you have reached your calorie intake and feel hungry sometimes then perhaps you might be losing weight?!
  • Andria_vfg08
    Options
    pilot1960 wrote: »
    Can you really have it both ways all the time? If you have reached your calorie intake and feel hungry sometimes then perhaps you might be losing weight?!
    Yes true but I don't think that is healthy either feeling hungry still. That is your bodies way of telling you it's missing something and needs to eat a bit more. You are supposed to feel satisfied. Not too full and not too hungry either.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, hunger is just part of weight loss. Hunger is generally triggered by lowered leptin levels, which are triggered by lower body fat levels. It doesn't really matter what you eat or how full your stomach is. It's all about the chemistry of losing body fat. If you have been obese, your body will fight to maintain previous fat stores by slowing metabolism and increasing hunger, in an attempt to restore body fat levels to their previous levels. This effect may be permanent.

Increasing protein intake can mitigate hunger for some people.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Baked Butternut Squash wedges as an alternative to white potato fries. I spray with a little oil and then add my fave seasonings, paprika, black pepper, seasalt (I know thats a bit naughty) Black pepper, garlic powder and a hint of cayenne pepper to give them a kick. ;P Less than half the calories of their baked white or sweet potato equivalent.

Tastes like if a carrot and potato made sweet sweet love and this was their delicious illegitimate lovechild.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    pilot1960 wrote: »
    Yes true but I don't think that is healthy either feeling hungry still. That is your bodies way of telling you it's missing something and needs to eat a bit more. You are supposed to feel satisfied. Not too full and not too hungry either.

Not so sure about that....I think once we get to a heavier weight our body fights us a bit to stay there....so at first I'm always a little hungry....then my body start to get that this is the new normal and it better use the fat stores instead of asking for more.

So a little hunger may bot be a bad thing....I'm not saying starving tot he point of being lightheaded or anything...just a little hungry.

Oh and often what we think is hunger is really thirst...so first try drinking a glass of water.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Another vote for popcorn here. I like adding nutritional yeast for flavour and added protein.

Veggies are also good, but sometimes raw veggies make me more hungry (what?! I know). Eating them with hummus / high protein pitas helps. In fact, adding veggies to beans or even pasta helps create a satisfying meal while cutting the cals.

Drinking liquids while eating is a great tip, I like to try a break mid-dinner to drink a glass of water or tea. I think room temp is better for your digestion (at least in my case).
    I'm like this too. Eating raw carrots solo makes me more hungry. Combine with hummus though and I'm good to go

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    spread a laughing cow cheese wedge on a 6" corn tortilla and roll it up. 85 calories.
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My go-tos are pickles, carrot sticks, tea, chicken broth & popcorn.

But sometimes hunger just comes with the territory. You shouldn't feel starving but being hungry every once in a while really isn't a big deal.
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    scallops
  • Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are surprisingly filling. I thought I would need a giant plate, but with the right sauce and add-ins, I love them!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I reach my calorie goal and I'm hungry, I take a drink of water & go to bed. Knowing I can eat tomorrow. Alot of weight loss takes place in your head, you have to be ready to work hard & eat right and be determined. In a few months and a few pounds later you will be happy you stuck to your guns!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    People like to dog on cauliflower, but I've made some frickin' amazing garlic mashed "potatoes" that were pretty low cal and made a killer side dish to brussels sprouts and chicken breast.
  • MrsBowen952015
    MrsBowen952015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been eating tofu noodles with two tablespoons of President brand pub cheese. It's like eating a whole bowl of pasta but it's only 78 calories. Friend me and you can see my diary. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, roasted broccoli (IDK why it seems more filling roasted, but it does to me, even with no fat), cottage cheese, boiled eggs, fish
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Another vote for popcorn. I eat it 4-5 times a week.
    Also, Special K makes several varieties of "cracker chips" that are great with Picante sauce. Depending on the variety (my favorite is sour cream & onion), about 4.4 calories per chip and the hot sauce is only like 5 or 10 per tablespoon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    People like to dog on cauliflower, but I've made some frickin' amazing garlic mashed "potatoes" that were pretty low cal and made a killer side dish to brussels sprouts and chicken breast.

Oh yeah, I give that a vote too. I love mashed cauliflower. Mashed turnips are also good and low calorie.