No meat at dinner, is that going to help me lost weight?

Options
Hi, I started not eating meat ( including chicken) at dinner, only take veggies and carb for dinner. I think that will lower the total calorie, but not sure if that is the right way to go about it to lose weight. any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat at dinner, as long as your calories for the day are at a deficit. Meat is great, you need that protein! Are you logging your food daily?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The only right way to lose weight is to eat your calories you are allotted in a day. And repeat. So, if a veggie and a carb works for dinner and keeps you full until you go to bed, then great. The whole thing is finding what fits and keeps you full, not hangry, and not tired/lethargic.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am typically eating 4oz of meat each night for dinner. Like others have said just stay within your calorie count for the day you will be fine.
  • corindeathawk
    corindeathawk Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Being in a caloric deficit is what allows you to lose weight. It really does not matter what time you eat what food from a nutrition stand point, hit your appropriate macros and micros however you want.

It could be the "right" way for you if it helps you stay in a deficit while meeting nutritional goals. but that is the only way in which it would be "right or "wrong".
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you can hit your protein goals without it, it's fine. Personally I find fats and proteins more satiating, so meats are the central part of most of my meals.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    you should try never eating meat ever, it wont help with weight loss but the animals will appreciate it
  • eatingforspawn
    eatingforspawn Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Protein is important to feeling satiated. If you cut out meat, find another good protein source and get it in there or, even if you get enough calories, you may feel hungry again sooner than you would have if you had had meat or at least enough protein. Just carbs and veggies might not be enough to satisfy you for long.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Being in a caloric deficit is what allows you to lose weight. It really does not matter what time you eat what food from a nutrition stand point, hit your appropriate macros and micros however you want.

It could be the "right" way for you if it helps you stay in a deficit while meeting nutritional goals. but that is the only way in which it would be "right or "wrong".

^pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

• CarreraGT3
    Options
    Fats and proteins keep you sated longer than carbs will, so you will not feel the need for snacking that could take you over the limit.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    No meat at dinner? How horrid. Usually if I am trying to make my evening meal lower in calories I lower the amount of starchy stuff I eat. Less rice or potatoes. Mostly because they are very calorie dense, not because of some voodoo magic about carbs at night.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, fine, do it. Eating meat isn't a requirement. Personally I'd rather eat meat than a starchy carb, it's more filling and I like to get protein in.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You need more protein.. Why would you cut meat out? It won't affect weight loss other than providing less calories.. in order to lose weight you do not need to focus on a certain group of foods to cut out, you should focus on staying within your calorie ranges and lowering your portions if needed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Nope.

Weight loss is based on total calorie deficit. Macronutrients are if minor significance from that point if view.

Use the tools on the site to plan out your weight loss.

this...
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me its a matter of how I feel and what I want. I know when I first started trying to do more vegetarian meals I would cook up a huge stir fry of veggies and be starving in 20 minutes. Now I don't seem to do that anymore. I don't intentionally skip meat, just sometime don't feel like eating it, or I didn't thaw anything out. I think it is more helpful to have a good balance of meat and carbs in the morning to keep you feeling good all day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I will be housing a 12 OZ NY Strip tonight with roasted potatoes and by the end of the day I will be in about a 500 cal deficit...and guess what, I will be losing weight WHILE eating steak...strange concept, I know...
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not eating meat at dinner..not eating after 9...eating small meals frequently...

These are all just different ways to get to the same end result -- eating fewer calories overall. If it works for you to skip the protein at dinner, then more power to you.. but the only thing that will help you lose weight is if you eat at a calorie deficit.

Find your TDEE (the amount you could/would eat to remain the same weight)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Take that number, and subtract 500 from it. Eat that amount of calories per day for a while and see how it goes for you. Log it using this site (but keep your exercise log out of it..those calories take into account your activity)
  • shanghai1991
    shanghai1991 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. It was a personal decision to move towards more plant based food with small steps ( like cutting out meat ad dinner first, and eventually, cut out all the meat), but I wasn't sure if it will help with the weight loss or not and I am concerned about the protein as well, hence the post. Thanks so much!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I find that strange because meat typically has fewer calories than carbs, such as rice and pasta. It doesn't matter what you eat, just total # of calories.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like vegetables, especially processed ones. I plant a garden, the chickens eat my garden, and when I eat the chicken, viola, I'm eating processed vegetables. Cows eat lots of grass, and apparently I really like grass, because I'll never turn down a ribeye. B)

In all seriousness, If giving up meat for dinner floats your boat then go nuts, I personally find that protein keeps me satisfied longer, so I rarely have a meal that doesn't include meat, but that's me. I also like my protein because I have grown rather attached to my muscle mass, pun obviously intended.

Rigger
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started not eating meat ( including chicken) at dinner, only take veggies and carb for dinner. I think that will lower the total calorie, but not sure if that is the right way to go about it to lose weight. any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

IF it lowers the calorie count as you think it will, then yes. Lower calories = more weight loss.

Will you still be getting enough protein in your diet?