Not losing weight when I should be

I have been working out for three weeks. I have lost a total of 6 pounds. I am eating 1200 calories a day, burning 500 calories a day. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and gained 2 pounds! I feel like I should be losing more weight then I actually am. I am not noticing any difference in clothing and this is a total shock to my system. Before I was eating 2500-3000 calories of junk now I am eating clean and extremely healthy. Does anyone have any tips? I have been told I am not eating enough but when I eat anymore than 1200 calories a day I actually start gaining back. I have had all of my levels tested and nothing is wrong!

Replies

• amor3219
    amor3219 Posts: 20 Member
    I should also say I am 195 pounds and 5"5 I am extremely overweight and not even close to my goal. I feel there is no reason I shouldn't be seeing results! I know it does not come off over night but 6 pounds in three weeks?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Weight fluctuates with sodium, change up in activity, hormones and if you lower carbs by increasing them again and then again it sometimes just does

I would imagine you arent eating enough to continue to fuel your body appropriately so eat back half your calories too..otherwise you may well crash and burn
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    You're losing at a very good rate, why are you complaining?! Honestly, with so much weight to lose you could be eating more. I'm 5'4" and 145lbs and I can lose weight with 1400-1500 calories a day....more than that if I'm exercising.

Are you using a food scale to measure out your food portions? How are you tracking your workout burns? Where does that "500" number come from?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Weight loss is not linear. Did you consume a lot of sodium in recent days? Are you nearing/have just begun your period? Did you recently begin a new exercise routine? There will always be weeks where you don't lose or gain. It's normal and nothing to worry about, unless they continue on for a month or more.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    2lb/week is the max you would want to lose...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    OP read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

ETA: Make sure get a food scale weigh ALL solid foods and measure liquids ONLY!!!
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    2 lbs up is not something to be worried about. your overall trend is losing weight. your body will fluctuate plus or minus 4 lbs anyways so a +2 one day is not something to be worried about just be patient and keep at it.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    6lbs is good hun. I try to aim for 5lbs a month.

I started at 225lbs coming up a year ago. im now 180lbs. Its hard work hun but it will happen.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Don't sweat it so much. Just because you're 3 weeks in, and down 6lbs, you're body is just getting used to this new lifestyle. Keep at it, and results will continue.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Most likely water weight. How often are you weighing yourself?

6 pounds is a great start, btw :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Here, the black dots are actual weights on scale, see how they stall, go up, go down ..but it's the trend line that counts...this is a 3 month path ...it's been like that for about 7 months, only in the first 6-8 weeks was it a straight path

Hope it helps, I'm pretty sure everyone has similar fluctuations in their pathway to weight loss

z6enmq3q1qt5.jpg

• Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    amor3219 wrote: »
    I have been working out for three weeks. I have lost a total of 6 pounds. I am eating 1200 calories a day, burning 500 calories a day. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and gained 2 pounds! I feel like I should be losing more weight then I actually am. I am not noticing any difference in clothing and this is a total shock to my system. Before I was eating 2500-3000 calories of junk now I am eating clean and extremely healthy. Does anyone have any tips? I have been told I am not eating enough but when I eat anymore than 1200 calories a day I actually start gaining back. I have had all of my levels tested and nothing is wrong!

I am with you i am in the same boat it sucks
  • amor3219
    I am not complaining. I lost that weight in the first week and haven't lost anything in the last two weeks! I am wondering why! I am obviously not doing something correctly. If it were over the three weeks that would be different but it's not.
  • amor3219
    I use fit bit a calorie tracker. I was concerned that I am possibly cutting my calorie intake too much and I'm putting my body into "starvation mode" I am eating hardly any carbs mostly protein and veggies. The only sugar I am consuming in larger quantity is from fruit.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    amor3219 wrote: »
    I am not complaining. I lost that weight in the first week and haven't lost anything in the last two weeks! I am wondering why! I am obviously not doing something correctly. If it were over the three weeks that would be different but it's not.

But it is over the three weeks. Like someone above said, weight loss is not linear. If you lost six pounds the first week, that was not all fat. A lot of it was water weight. So the next week if you lost more fat, but gained back some of the water, you wouldn't see a loss on the scale. That's how this works.

• satisfyingmyinnerfatkid
    satisfyingmyinnerfatkid Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2015
    Why complain when you don't make your food diary public. Like we are magic faeries that have telepathy to help you. Sheesh.
  • amor3219
    I was wondering more of how it works. I obviously didn't fully understand or still don't how weight loss works. I wish there was a way where people that knew the answers could help without acting like the rest of us are too stupid to understand.
  • amor3219
    I have been to a doctor who said you cut calorie intake and exercise because of current weight you will see results right away. So I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or if this was normal. Thank you for the help.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Can you make your diary public so we can take a look at what you've been eating? Weight loss always starts in the kitchen ...